Author Topic: Scenario Hooks and Ladders  (Read 26402 times)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Scenario Hooks and Ladders
« on: April 07, 2009, 07:57:31 PM »
This is a forum game I just came up with: First, you post one scenario hook, a one sentence description of a possible scenario that incorporates the ladder from the previous post.  Then you post a scenario ladder, which extends to the next person's post. The ladder is a single element (theme, NPC, item, place) that can be described in one sentence.

So it goes

Poster 1: Hook one
Ladder one

Poster 2: Hook two (using ladder one)
Ladder two

Poster 3:
Hook three (using ladder two)
Ladder three

I will go first

Hook one: A mad sorcerer wrote all of his accumulated knowledge as arborglyphs, carved messages on every tree of a remote forest but hundreds of years later a great evil shall be summoned and can only be stopped by a ritual written on seven specific trees scattered far and wide through it.

Ladder one:
  Legacy systems archaeologist - WANTED: INDIVIDUALS FAMILIAR WITH 3270, VAX/VMS, COBOL, AS/400, AND OTHER LEGACY SYSTEMS NO ONE ELSE REMEMBERS.

JonHook

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Re: Scenario Hooks and Ladders
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 08:30:50 PM »
I wanna play, but I don't get the game. Your hook and ladder seem completely disconnected... fantasy and modern.  ???
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 08:32:40 PM »
The ladder is for the NEXT person to use.

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 08:42:54 PM »
Hook two: A feral COBOL programmer, high on angel dust and absinthe, writes four hundred lines of code that, if compiled and run, will definitively disprove the existence of God.

Ladder two: Code Name: Archangel Uriel - a Vatican-developed EMP cannon, effective at 100 yards.
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 08:52:14 PM »
Hook two: A feral COBOL programmer, high on angel dust and absinthe, writes four hundred lines of code that, if compiled and run, will definitively disprove the existence of God.

Ladder two: Code Name: Archangel Uriel - a Vatican-developed EMP cannon, effective at 100 yards.

For the hooks be sure to mention how the players fit into the scenario.

Hook three:
The Vatican deploys the Uriel EMP cannon along with a dozen priests and Swiss guard soliders after a meteor crashes in Siberia and the players are investigative reporters tasked with finding out why.

Ladder three:
A company releases the A-Pod,
marketed as a child's toy.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 08:56:46 PM »
Hook Four: The Mi-Go's latest cult has taken a proactive approach to trimming the human population by destorying the youth; A-Pods arrange the deaths of their children while seemin innocent.

Ladder Four: A man shaped machine, forged of stone and wood, run by water.

((My other ideas, which I was out paced in posting. Curse anybody who types faster than me!!

Hook Two: A program, born of the Cold War and run on a system that may as well be comprised of runes and sanscript to normal programers, has taken control of modern computersystems. It is altering, destorying, and moving setions of information and data, seemingly without reason. Our heroes, aged programers and insighted youths, must gather both their own language understanding and that of forgotten lore to discover the purpose and function of this "elder code" and stop it before the dark ages return.

Hook Three: The players, AI run devices, must find a way to reach disable the cannon as well as it's mster plans before it can be mass produced and lead to ignorant humans destroying their kind.))

Dawnsteel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 11:16:16 PM »
Hook Five: "A group of shamans, working for Frobozz Electric, have a new invention.  It appears to be a water-driven wooden golem, possibly reinforced with stone.  It works tirelessly and only seems to need the output of a small stream to keep it running.  We need you to recover this device, if possible, or destroy it, if not."

Ladder Five: An aerial jungle survey in Borneo finds evidence of an ENORMOUS FUCKING SNAKE.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 12:20:51 PM by Dawnsteel »

dragonshaos

• Amateur DM
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 11:20:42 PM »
Hook Six: An enormous snake has just been seen in Africa, and reports show that it has eaten an entire village alive!  We need you to go inside and help save any survivors, while keeping the snake alive for studies.

Ladder Six:  While eating ice cream, a man imagines what life would be like inside his own head.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 12:40:03 AM »
Hook Six: An enormous snake has just been seen in Africa, and reports show that it has eaten an entire village alive!  We need you to go inside and help save any survivors, while keeping the snake alive for studies.

Ladder Six:  While eating ice cream, a man imagines what life would be like inside his own head.

Hook seven: Unfortunately for the man eating ice cream, his mindscape awakens and begins to infect the outside world and soon the players find themselves in the man's twisted psyche, reliving his worst memories and fondest dreams.

Ladder seven: Photos of Lost Luggage.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 12:44:01 AM »
Hook Eight: That's your bag. It has the evidence in it. And Boss Vianci knows what it looks like too...

Ladder Eight: The Japanese pop song/internet meme
Caramelldansen

dragonshaos

• Amateur DM
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 01:03:39 AM »
Hook Nine: After nearly being trampled to death at an anime expo when a group of girls began doing the 'Caramelldansen', your party notices that as the onlookers stare in awe and tap to the beat, their souls have began to drain from their bodies...

Ladder Nine:  A mop that can defy gravity.

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 01:07:28 AM »
Hook Ten: You just received a invitation letter to wizard school and a package containing a mop which is labeled "your new transportation." Mhuahaha.

Ladder Ten: The invisible yet romantic city of Casanostra

JonHook

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 07:59:06 AM »
Hook Ten: You just received a invitation letter to wizard school and a package containing a mop which is labeled "your new transportation." Mhuahaha.

Ladder Ten: The invisible yet romantic city of Casanostra

Hook Eleven: The players are survivors of Casanostra after it's destruction, accustomed to a life of luxury and comfort, they must now survive in a post-nuclear wasteland.

Ladder Eleven: A meteor storm of alien "seeds".
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

dragonshaos

• Amateur DM
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 12:09:44 PM »
Hook Twelve:  As the Tyranid spore's rain down upon your sector, you realize that the Orks and Eldar were the least of your concerns

Ladder Twelve: Believing that your dreams alter reality and it's laws, you begin to experience nightmares...

Dawnsteel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 12:17:49 PM »
Hook Thirteen: AMERICAN MCGEE'S CANDYLAND:  Players, charged by the slightly insane King Kandy, are hot on the trail of the evil Lord Licorice, who has framed the lumberjack Mr. Mint for the axe-murder of Princess Frostine and Grandma Nutt.  Gloppy, of the Chocolate Swamp, may or may not aid the players in their quest.

Ladder Thirteen: A Rubik's Cube that, when you attempt to solve it, appears to contain seven different colors.