Author Topic: Dig to Victory scenario  (Read 36422 times)

beej

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Dig to Victory scenario
« on: June 14, 2010, 05:13:28 PM »
Last year I drove a player to nightmares by running Tom's Nazi playtest and since then the group has refused to play anything involving frozen bodies cracked open like lobsters and de-boned or delivering mystery meats wrapped in brown butcher paper to long-pig obsessed ghouls.  I re-listened to Dig to Victory this weekend and its not nearly as crazy as Tom's game.  What Pagan book is it in?  I'm thinking about trying to talk them into running another one.   

"Old R'lyeh Brewery. Enjoy a cold one on the Great Old One!"

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Dig to Victory scenario
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 05:47:31 PM »
Last year I drove a player to nightmares by running Tom's Nazi playtest and since then the group has refused to play anything involving frozen bodies cracked open like lobsters and de-boned or delivering mystery meats wrapped in brown butcher paper to long-pig obsessed ghouls.  I re-listened to Dig to Victory this weekend and its not nearly as crazy as Tom's game.  What Pagan book is it in?  I'm thinking about trying to talk them into running another one.   

It's not out yet.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 06:17:09 PM »
Which is hilarious since Scott talks about when he expects it to be out at the very end of the game. He even mentions U-Boat Heraus, the game they'll be playing next year (which will be last year in less than two months).

Pagan stuff is pretty widely solid gold. And it can take a long time to get hold of it. Just look at the turn around time on Targets of Opportunity, the newest book from Delta Green (which Scott, again, mentions during the Dig to Victory game, even sharing a story of a playtest using the book's material).

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 06:21:11 PM »
I know I will be branded a heretic for saying this, but I thought Dig to Victory and U-Boat Heraus were too long and too boring. But I didn't play in them, so I shouldn't judge.

beej

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 06:31:03 PM »
Kroack once I figure out how to hack the interwebs, I will find you track you down, smother you with an ether soaked rag and then feed you to the ghouls in my apartment walls.   

Dig to Victory and Uboat are like Moby Dick, if you cut out the all the technical stuff you still have a consistent, well written story.

Although I will say after I learned that fact in American Lit I will forever curse that bloated monstrosity of a book everyone insists it be class room material.   I hate that book more than Tom loves ghouls.

However Dig to Victory and U-Boat I love because they're history lessons mixed with hilarious gamer humor and mind shattering cosmic revelations.

Damn it.  I don't suppose U-Boat is out yet?

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 06:34:25 PM »
Okay, beej AKA Flaming Dragon.

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

I WILL END YOU.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 06:54:18 PM »
I know I will be branded a heretic for saying this, but I thought Dig to Victory and U-Boat Heraus were too long and too boring. But I didn't play in them, so I shouldn't judge.

This just in: "One man takes a bold stand on the internet". Put it on page one! And print 'bold' in bold lettering. People love shit like that.

Long games aren't for everybody. I know some people have shit to do with their lives. Thank god I am not one of them. For me it's not about the length of the game, it's about the content and Scott keeps his quality very high through the entire game. I don't feel bored with him at the helm and I have trouble picking low points in any of the games he has run.

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 07:27:42 PM »
I just don't understand how his games progress at all. He keeps going off into 30 minute long tangents about various historical references or items that aren't exactly important to the plot or forwarding the story.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
I just don't understand how his games progress at all. He keeps going off into 30 minute long tangents about various historical references or items that aren't exactly important to the plot or forwarding the story.

What I like about Scott's stories is that while he changes the direction of the story most often he is also often the one to bring it back again. Not always. I particularly enjoy Ross's quiet attempts to get everybody back into the game during Dig to Victory as they leap from one story to another (which fail completely). If I didn't want historical aside I wouldn't listen to games with him leading them.

So, yeah, if that's not your thing that you really shouldn't listen to the GenCon CoC games. I love it.

Seejo Crux

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • High INT, Low CHA. Tend to be social misfits.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 08:06:46 PM »
I loved listening to Scott and his sidekick ramble on about WW. It's the closest I've ever come to enjoying a history lesson. I'm about to listen to Dig to Victory for the first time, so I'm glad to hear there's more rambling.

And I hope to see someone with zero San by the end of the game. But that's a wish I might have to save for the Corrupt a Wish thread.

Dogfish

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 08:16:58 PM »

I strongly agree, whilst U-Boat was a bit more manageable I turned off Dig To Victory when I realised I was well over and hour (perhaps ninety minutes) in without anything happening bar a lot of war buff circle-jerking. Dire and dull but when the game gets going I can only presume it gets good otherwise why would it be getting published?

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 08:32:47 PM »

I strongly agree, whilst U-Boat was a bit more manageable I turned off Dig To Victory when I realised I was well over and hour (perhaps ninety minutes) in without anything happening bar a lot of war buff circle-jerking. Dire and dull but when the game gets going I can only presume it gets good otherwise why would it be getting published?

True.

You see, I don't think it's the scenarios. They're excellent. It's Glancy's GM style. Take Operation Obsidian. Even if Ross had run it for all 5 hours of epicness instead of stopping halfway, I think there would have been less talk about the exact chemical makeup of Agent Orange and more actual playing.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 11:31:54 PM »
I posted a link to this thread to Scott's Facebook :D

beej

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 11:41:53 PM »
So if I roll really well on my persuasian check, can I make Kroack change his opinion?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 12:28:21 AM »
So if I roll really well on my persuasian check, can I make Kroack change his opinion?

Call back zing. Bonus points.

I think you guys who don't care for Scott's presentation certainly got a raw deal. The World War games are prety damn epic events but you can't seperate them from the Keeper and other players.

For those of us who like world war history facts and general random information those games are enhanced by their players and by Scott's stories.