Author Topic: Infrno looked awesome. I ran something sort of and it didn't go well...  (Read 24116 times)

iceemaker

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Medium Aberrant Humanoid (Gamer)
    • View Profile
Re: Infrno looks awesome. If I get 3 players I'll run somehing cool.
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2010, 01:20:02 AM »
I just created an account for Infrno. Having not actually played a game with it yet, I am already impressed with its fuctionality. I would gladly pay $10/15 a month for full access to all of its features.

That said, once I finally manage to obtain a reliable internet connection, I will want to run a game using this software. Definitely some 4th Edition demony stuff or GIANT MONSTER/ROBOT BATTLES in MaoCT.
My avatar is Jade Harley from Homestuck. You really should be reading it.

Ryo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2010, 02:54:48 PM »
Where did the game go? Could my guy be a private dick rather than a cop? Fire/quit/whatever from the force, most likely for head knocking or enforcing the laws as he saw them rather than by the book.

ArtfulShrapnel

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2010, 03:28:58 PM »
Where did the game go? Could my guy be a private dick rather than a cop? Fire/quit/whatever from the force, most likely for head knocking or enforcing the laws as he saw them rather than by the book.

Sure, he can be that instead. Comes with less authority but more freedom, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

As for the game... it's still there? The best way to find it is to find my name in your friends list, and find the game under my profile. (A little awkward...) You've been approved for the "Loose Cannon Cop" character, apparently you still need to "accept" that approval. You'll be able to make tweaks to gear and background and such after you do that.

Link to the game in question: http://infrno.net/games/78

Feel free to "play game" if you want to duck your head into the table system and configure your mic and such. You can move stuff around, but I'll ask you not to mess with the map area or the "Secret GM's box".

Also, if anyone hasn't had a chance to get into this game but wants to see how it goes, I've enabled spectators at this game table. Feel free to peek in. Game is at 7pm EST this sunday.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 03:31:27 PM by ArtfulShrapnel »

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2010, 04:09:56 PM »
We're not playing with webcams, right? I don't know if I can game if I have to look at gamers during the whole thing.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2010, 04:37:29 PM »
What puzzles me a little is the apparent lack of grid abilities.  Maybe it's just my being used to Maptools/it being early in beta, but it would seem that would make sense to have the ability to make a grid and lock things to it.  I guess it isn't really necessary with the free move...

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2010, 04:45:14 PM »
Post about it on the forum, or in a blog. The developers apparently pay pretty close attention to what people are saying on the site.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2010, 04:54:34 PM »
Oh, and it is fun to have "art-wars,"  though tough with my mouse...

ArtfulShrapnel

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2010, 07:58:57 PM »
We're not playing with webcams, right? I don't know if I can game if I have to look at gamers during the whole thing.

We don't need to. I was just planning to use my mic. :)

What puzzles me a little is the apparent lack of grid abilities...

It's apparently already been requested and is being put into production. I wouldn't be surprised if it was up and running soon....

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2010, 08:29:56 PM »

We don't need to. I was just planning to use my mic. :)

What puzzles me a little is the apparent lack of grid abilities...

It's apparently already been requested and is being put into production. I wouldn't be surprised if it was up and running soon....

Yeah I hopped on the forums and saw the request for that.  It appeared that it is super early beta and they just put it up and will only put in what people want (via request).  As it stands it seems like a lot has been added already...

Ryo

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2010, 10:02:07 PM »
Thanks. It vanished from mygames and I wasn't able to find it with games search, then I did the profile thing you suggested.

ArtfulShrapnel

• View Profile
So, I fixed the title of this thread rather than start another.

Postgame notes:

Cons:

• It is really broken, they should fix that.
  • Rolling dice lacks drama or sound effects, feels kinda flat.
  • We could only get 2 players and the GM into the room before it refused to connect more people
  • Voice chat was flaky and people kept getting cut out, we eventually switched to skype
  • GM can't hide or lock things. Not a bit issue here but made stuff tricky
  • No way to edit sheets or track health/stats at the table
  • Can't see dice/chat while looking at character sheet, make rolling a pain
  • Character sheets are designed for DnD, no way to change ordering or layout to suit a different game, but we made do.
  • I feel my game was poorly paced. (Not Infrno's fault really, but I can blame them because it's my list)

Pros:

• Map tool worked really nicely and updated quickly
  • Character sheets are convenient to read and look good, very fast to create
  • People seemed to get into it and have fun once things started working

So, overall, it's a good setup in theory, especially once they get all their bugs worked out and tweak the UI a little bit. The game board was actually incredibly useful and intuitive, and made game flow much smoother. Dice roller worked okay but lacked drama, seemed to be fair.

I highly recommend other people give it a try, but have skype set up ahead of time, and don't invite too many people.

Mckma, I am super sorry that we couldn't get you into game on account of the table not accepting more people. If you want to play in the revised, streamlined, sexier version of this scenario at Gencon, consider it done. :)

Ryo

• View Profile
Thanks for running the Game AS and to those who played. It was fun once things got rolling.

I'd like to be able to grab the table so I can move my view around.

I'd like to be able to zoom.

I'm like to be able to set up macros (dice mostly), so I don't need to keep looking up stats. (A line of dice on screen and I put number sets into each one then click on it to make a roll for example).

Mckma

• View Profile
Oh, don't worry about it at all, stuff happens, beta stuff doesn't work as expected, and all that.  I was totally cool sitting out.  Sounds like Infrno works a bit like I expected, showing great potential with it being simple and all together, but lacking the finesse and versatility of other alternatives.  The only real terrible thing I would imagine would be the audio, but I'm guessing that issue will get ironed out pretty soon (if not already).

Thanks for the invite, but unfortunately there is no way I would be able to make it to Gencon (at least no practical, reasonable way, though it would be cool to meet up with RPPR-ers)...

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Sorry I missed the rest. My computer's internet connection severed while Larry was checking through the medical information. Thing stayed down the rest of the evening.

So, Ean's pro/con sheet looks pretty complete. I like Infrno right now and since the thing is in Beta I'm willing to stick around to see where it does. The guys at the helm do seem to be playing attention to what's going on so I think it'll get better.