Author Topic: What Vidja games are you playing?  (Read 996111 times)

Patrick

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • No federal minimum wage for kobolds!
    • View Profile
Re: What Vidja games are you playing?
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2010, 06:32:14 PM »
are you on the steam group?

Nope...

Ross, I might hit you up on google chat for the details later on this evening...

[Resistance Is Futile... Have A Great Day!]

Moondog

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2010, 06:47:08 PM »
L4D2 is pretty great. 'Specially Versus, which is a goddamn blast.

Got in on the 'box, my computer can barely handle pong, much less modern fast paced games like L4D2.

: (

I'm a whore when it comes to my PC...

Thats why I don't own a console or any games.

I've always been a PC gamer.

Just bought the Napoleon Total War expansion...

Yay!

Don't blame you. There's a lot of awesome PC exclusive stuff.

Like Civ V, which I quite enjoy. Nothing like watching my Egyptian Horde overwhelm THAT BASTARD MONTEZUMA.
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

iceemaker

• Medium Aberrant Humanoid (Gamer)
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2010, 09:59:55 PM »
Ugh. Etrian Odyssey 3 for the DS is a nightmare. Not necessarily so difficult that it is unenjoyable, but definitely an unforgiving game. I must confess to never having played any of the old-school turn-based dungeon crawlers, but this game basically epitomizes the genre. It has all of the inventory management, turn planning, and party-wiping gimmicks that have been completely phased out of modern RPGs.

Once again, the game is still fun, but not for the faint of heart. But I would definitely recommend it to you guys for the Lovecraftian elements of the story: [spoiler]You fight Deep Ones over the course of the game and can elect to slay the princess of the city, who made a pact with the Deep Ones. The final tier of the dungeon is the Cyclopean Haunt, resting place of the Deep Ones' master, AKA the FINAL final boss. I have yet to fight it, but I doubt Cthulhu is an unreasonable assumption.[/spoiler]

Oh, and Paper Mario on the Wii's Virtual Console. I played it when it was first released, but the simplicity of the combat and the amount of customization available puts most modern games to shame. Not to mention the actual non-crappy (if somewhat silly) dialogue.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 10:35:09 PM by iceemaker »
My avatar is Jade Harley from Homestuck. You really should be reading it.

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2010, 10:16:15 PM »
I liked the first Etrian Oddysey.

In a very similar, albeit it less pretty vein is Dark Spite on the DS, which is reminiscent of the Wizardry series, and Class of Heroes, for the PSP, which is an adorable little unforgiving dungeon crawling RPG.

It's like wizardry too. But with catgirls. And furry dwarves. Also demon ninjas and angel clerics and dragon fighters and stuff.

Ah, my party of catgirl samurai sliced everything to ribbons. Fun times.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2010, 11:47:06 AM »

Got in on the 'box, my computer can barely handle pong, much less modern fast paced games like L4D2.

I loved the first Left 4 Dead, me and my friends played versus mode on 2 consoles 4 on 4.

2 people to a tv. We were pretty damn effective zombies. We were able to kill an entire party before they got out of the apartment building in the first level, we were pretty stoked.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2010, 12:42:07 PM »

I loved the first Left 4 Dead, me and my friends played versus mode on 2 consoles 4 on 4.

2 people to a tv. We were pretty damn effective zombies. We were able to kill an entire party before they got out of the apartment building in the first level, we were pretty stoked.

Very nice.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2010, 02:10:53 PM »
The Overlord package was on deep sale the other day on Steam (3 bucks for the first and second as well as the first's expansion), so I've been playing a lot of the first, and it's a lot of fun and very amusing.  Nothing outright is hilarious, but the setting is just so charming and quirky that it's a blast...

Sean-o-tron

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • heard nonsense
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 01, 2011, 11:41:09 PM »
I love and hate Steam at the same time.  I, being the consumerist whore I am, constantly get suckered into the freaking amazing sales they have.  My Christmas present to myself this year consisted of (deep breath) Aliens vs Predator, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Assassin's Creed II, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Bob Came In Pieces, Chime, Clones, C&C 3: Tiberium Wars, C&C 4: Tiberian Twilight, Darksiders, Delve Deeper, Deus Ex, Disciples III, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Guardians of Graxia, all the Hitman games, Iron Grip: Warlord, Just Cause 2, The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom, Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee and Stranger's Wrath, the Overlord collection, The Polynomial, Puzzle Quest, Recettear, Serious Sam HD: The First and Second Encounter, Shank, Shatter, Spore, the Star Wars: Jedi Knight collection, Super Meat Boy, Supreme Commander 2, Turba, Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II, aaaaand Worms Reloaded.

*sigh*

Guys, I think I have a problem.

Seejo Crux

• High INT, Low CHA. Tend to be social misfits.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 02, 2011, 01:14:06 AM »
How many of those games do you actually have time to play? and complete?

Sean-o-tron

• heard nonsense
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2011, 02:38:07 AM »
Plenty of time to play.  Completing is more of a personality issue than a time one.

Patrick

• No federal minimum wage for kobolds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 04, 2011, 06:44:26 PM »
I recently purchased Left 4 Dead II and man-oh-man am I hooked.

I tried to get Ross to play one night, but he was busy playing Killing Floor (which also looks interesting)...  :(

Sadly, I've resorted to playing with the random teenagers and malcontents that stalk the Steam servers, but I have gamed with a couple of cool people...

I'm part of the RPPR group (Name: Diomed75) on Steam, look me up if any of you guys ever want to help me fulfill my addiction...  :)

[Resistance Is Futile... Have A Great Day!]

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 04, 2011, 07:32:27 PM »

I tried to get Ross to play one night, but he was busy playing Killing Floor (which also looks interesting)...  :(

Sadly, I've resorted to playing with the random teenagers and malcontents that stalk the Steam servers, but I have gamed with a couple of cool people...

I'm part of the RPPR group (Name: Diomed75) on Steam, look me up if any of you guys ever want to help me fulfill my addiction...  :)

Yeah, I like L4D, but it sucks (in my opinion) if you aren't playing with people you know (for the most part)...

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2011, 07:37:40 PM »

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Lethal-Injection

:D

Robot Master

• "Wu Tang gets they cookie."
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
I know that most tabletop RPG culture don't exactly go for sports...

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

THIS GAME KICKS ASS

Some of the alternate game modes on here are cool as hell. Sure, you have your old school "just play a game" mode where you pick a team and can change your player to the guy closest to the puck, but there's a mode called "BE A PRO" where you make a player and take him into the NHL. You make a guy, typically with your name, pick a position, etc, and then your game starts as you're a member of the Canadian Hockey League or one of some 20 other development league teams. You play and come on and off the bench just like any player would. When you're on the bench, you watch from the bench. When you're in the penalty box, you watch from the penalty box. After about six or seven games in the minors the NHL draft comes and you get drafted to a team, and the game continues in the same manner as your performance is graded just like any other NHL player. You can get traded, busted down to the minors, get elected into an all-star game, etc.

That's not even the online play.

Again, there's the regular "play a game" style online play where you pick one team and someone else picks another team. But what's BADASS is the "EA SPORTS ONLINE LEAGUE" mode where you and up to 20-something of your friends can create a team using your "be a pro" mode players, go online, and compete against other players in an online league that has seasons and everything. I don't know if there are prizes for winning the leagues or not but literally you and your friends can fill a team's bench and come on and off the ice for line changes while playing another team of regular joes.

Best hockey game ever. The people on it are less mean spirited than the Call of Duty crowd and it's completely replaced first person shooters for me right now.
Thanos: "I am going to sacrifice the Earth to gain the love of Death"
Me: (slowly raise eyebrow) "Destroy the Earth? That would be...illogical"
Vortex: "Yes...that...would be...highly...illogical."
Thanos: "Your Star Trek references bore me."

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2011, 10:31:07 AM »
I've been playing the crap out of http://basiliskgames.com/eschalon-book-i
It's a grid built Open World Old School turnbased western RPG. You can play it across all platforms, even on netbooks. I mean, the max resolution is 800x600.
Also, free demo, so I mean, if you like that sort of thing...

It is a good change from Avernum and Geneforge and the price is more justifiable. But boy howdy is it brutal.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.