Author Topic: What Vidja games are you playing?  (Read 996265 times)

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: What Vidja games are you playing?
« Reply #255 on: March 22, 2011, 12:14:23 AM »
So I played Total War: Shogun 2 a bit more.

There was this one clan that had a territory that was practically engulfed by regions controlled by my ally and myself. The clan was in prime real estate, and seeing as they were a single territory, would be easy picking for my military. So I started sending in a few ninja to soften them up before declaring war and launching my assault- I assassinated the clan daimyo's single son and heir as well as his his top general, ran sabotage operations on his military buildings and burned his farms.

My ally picked up that this clan was running into trouble, and declared war on them before I did. The poor clan then came running to me, asking me to talk my ally out of capturing and pillaging their city. "Sure, but it will cost you. Become my vassal, pay me tribute, and back me up in any and all decision I make." In the end, the clan had no real option, and with great regret became my vassal.

Total War: Shogun 2 - The game where being a backstabbing dick pays off.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 22, 2011, 10:14:57 AM »
I know I've already mentioned this a few times, but I finished Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective last night.  I cannot say enough good things about this game.  It is absolutely wonderful and I really hope anyone who enjoys somewhat quirky or stylish games gets a chance to play it...

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #257 on: March 22, 2011, 01:14:26 PM »
I beat Ghostbusters the video game. A fun 8 hour game but it felt a bit like self-insertion fanfic. You play the new recruit that just happens to save the day and all the old ghostbusters keep on thanking you for being so awesome. Also, they rehash all the greatest hits of Ghostbusters the movie - hey look there's the stay puft man, there's the hotel, there's the library etc. etc. etc.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #258 on: March 22, 2011, 01:47:35 PM »
I just picked up the Phantom Brave port to the PSP. Been trying to get a copy of this game in one format or another for about four years. Pretty cool so far, different than I thought.

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 22, 2011, 02:04:37 PM »
I just picked up the Phantom Brave port to the PSP. Been trying to get a copy of this game in one format or another for about four years. Pretty cool so far, different than I thought.

Phantom Brave, like every Nippon Ichi game that isn't Soul Nomad And The World Eaters and that abortive PS3 game (that isn't Trinity Universe, which owns) is an excellent game, with great music and spot-on voice acting.

It is, however, mindbreakingly sad. Poor Marona. : (
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 22, 2011, 11:34:10 PM »
Okay, last post about Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective.  I just can't say enough good things about this game.  Honestly if you own a DS, you owe it to yourself to get this game.  It's less than $30 and absolutely phenomenal from start to finish.  Some of the story elements may feel like a bit of a cop-out, but I think in the end the way everything ties up, it works really well.  The only potential downside would be its "lack" of replay value (in that once you solve the puzzles and finish the story, nothing really changes), but it was so great and full of character I honestly almost started the game again after finishing it...

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 23, 2011, 12:08:54 AM »
You know, the only element of the game that really felt like a cop-out to me was

[spoiler] Sissel being revealed as a cat, prior to which there was absolutely no indication thereof, which was lame and robbed me of a 'AH HAH, I thought so!' moment that all good mystery games should have. [/spoiler]

More on topic though: I'm currently playing through Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations for the 14th time (I play a PW game before bed every night, the relaxing scrolling text and easy logic helps me sleep) and I really cannot recommend the series enough. It is pretty great (also a travesty that Nick doesn't show up in Marvel vs Capcom 3. Or Ryu, ala Breath of Fire but that is neither here nor there).

OH ALSO THEY NERFED SENTINEL IN MARVEL VS CAPCOM 3 hahaha suck it down, you less-health having obnoxious metal BASTARD how's that 'no longer an instant win button for everyone' treating you hahahahahaha- I am enjoying this far too much.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 23, 2011, 01:12:01 AM »
You know, the only element of the game that really felt like a cop-out to me was

[spoiler] Sissel being revealed as a cat, prior to which there was absolutely no indication thereof, which was lame and robbed me of a 'AH HAH, I thought so!' moment that all good mystery games should have. [/spoiler]

Thoughts on that and other spoilers...

[spoiler]I can see where one would say that, but honestly I thought it worked well and made sense.  I think they led up to it quite well actually.  I mean the Sissel was visible before and his "amnesia" hinted that he wasn't human after all.  I mean when all the human characters quickly recovered most of their memories and he "didn't" (because he didn't have those memories to begin with), I started to think something was up.  In retrospect, the lack of ability to read is a HUGE clue.  And it certainly wasn't outside the realm of possibility as Missile acted quite "human."

Though to be perfectly honest, I had a few other theories that were kind of fun.  First I thought that Sissel knew he would get the powers and thus somehow convinced Lynne to kill him so he could utilize them.  The other running theory that kind of went along was that Sissel had actually done all that stuff (i.e. killed the various people) lost his memory and would end up having to come to terms with that.  Though that would feel like more of a cop-out.

Also, I loved how Cabanela's stuff worked out.  I was always suspicious that he was working to some greater goal and hoped it was good (though realized it might have been bad)...

Finally, biggest emotional response in a while came from this game (games don't usually get at me at all).  When they first explain what happened to Jowd's wife (where it was the "contraptions" fault).  That was really an "Oh shit..." moment where I was just stunned.  Very sad.  And in some ways, I think the way they ultimately resolved it was good because it was cathartic to realize it wasn't her fault, but at the same time there was a bit where it was this tragic accident...
[/spoiler]

So yeah, absolutely loved the game and just so many good things...

EDIT:  Also, completely random and funny, I looked up Cabanela to see if I spelled it right and there are pictures of him as a Pidgey, which I found amusing...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 01:17:47 AM by Mckma »

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 24, 2011, 10:04:10 PM »
Ive been playing the crap outta Blood Bowl LE, very good. match takes around an hour to play, so you can schedule things around your matches pretty easy, fun multilayer.

Darksaw

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • I'm a wizard, and that looks fucked up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 03, 2011, 07:57:11 AM »
I've just built a new gaming PC so naturally I immediately bought Crysis 2 to see how it looked. I wasn't really a fan of the first game, but I've put five hours into the campaign so far and have had a great time, not to mention it looks shiny on this new rig as well. The only problem I've encountered, graphically, is that the default FOV is too tight (pretty easily changed) and that there's an awful lot of motion blur, I could see someone easily getting discomforted from the combination of the two.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I played the MP demo pre-release but it didn't really catch my attention, I'm sure I'll try it at some point but I don't have high expectations.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 13, 2011, 05:56:29 PM »
Borderlands GotY is on sale on Steam today for 7.50.  Great deal for the game and it's a good deal of fun to play with others.  Just thought I'd toss this up here.  I mean I bought it after buying the game and one of the DLCs already (has all 4 DLCs included)...

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 17, 2011, 01:11:11 PM »
Spent most of yesterday afternoon and a good deal this morning trying to get mods working on Fallout 3.  Should be interesting...

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/10/13/10-essential-fallout-3-mods/

Dom

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 17, 2011, 04:24:33 PM »
I just recently re-installed Alpha Protocol. It's such a great game, probably one of my top 10 picks for 2010, yet it was hated by game critics and therefore got put in bargain bins way too early.

The gameplay is mostly third-person shooting and some sneaking; it plays a lot like a slightly blander version of Mass Effect 2. There are also a few minigames such as hacking and lockpicking that are tolerable, yet not too much fun. I've also heard that some people encountered bugs in the game, though I personally didn't see any.

Where the game really shines is on the story. The game was developed by Obsidian Entertainment, the same guys that did Fallout New Vegas and Neverwinter Nights 2, so you know that even though the game might be buggy and have some questionable design choices, you'll always be treated to a great story. Basically, it builds up on the standard spy fiction thriller tropes, yet the story remains solid all throught the game.

My favorite part was the choice system. Much like Mass Effect's three standard choices, you can choose between a "Professional", "Suave" or "Agressive", basically the game's way of making you choose between "Jason Bourne" "James Bond" or "Jack Bauer", in that order. The best part is, almost all your choices will have important ramifications during the course of the game. Where in Mass Effect the conversation options led you to the exact same place in the end, there are wildly different outcomes depending on your choice, and they all make sense in the game. The cohesion in that sense is very interesting.

The game is like $15 on amazon right now, definitely a steal for such a great game.

(Oh and by the way, the first few level take place in Saudi Arabia and are a bit boring. Trust me, it gets much better after those few levels.)

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 18, 2011, 10:51:47 AM »
I agree, Dom. Alpha Protocol isn't a bad game at all, it just has some kind of jarring flaws (the AI flips out every once in a while, and there's some glitching here and there) that keep it from being a great game.

The storyline and conversational stuff is great fun, and I even enjoy the stealth aspect. Did a 'no sightings, no alerts, no kills' run-through a while back. That was tough. Tough but fun.

As for me, picked up Red Dead Redemption, Spectral Force 3, Brutal Legend, and Last Remnant recently. RDR is great, haven't touched the others, will do so later.

EDIT:

ALSO AT LEAST ONE OF YOU HAS TO HAVE MVC3 ON THE 360 C'MON LET'S THROW DOWN SOMETIME

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 18, 2011, 02:17:04 PM »
I agree, Dom. Alpha Protocol isn't a bad game at all, it just has some kind of jarring flaws (the AI flips out every once in a while, and there's some glitching here and there) that keep it from being a great game.

The storyline and conversational stuff is great fun, and I even enjoy the stealth aspect. Did a 'no sightings, no alerts, no kills' run-through a while back. That was tough. Tough but fun.

As for me, picked up Red Dead Redemption, Spectral Force 3, Brutal Legend, and Last Remnant recently. RDR is great, haven't touched the others, will do so later.

EDIT:

ALSO AT LEAST ONE OF YOU HAS TO HAVE MVC3 ON THE 360 C'MON LET'S THROW DOWN SOMETIME

I borrowed RDR from my friend earlier this week, it is fun but I keep getting sidetracked with hunting....

Oh and sorry but I'm all over that shit on PS3. (MVC3 that is)
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.