Author Topic: What Vidja games are you playing?  (Read 996136 times)

HapexIndustries

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Re: What Vidja games are you playing?
« Reply #1320 on: May 19, 2016, 08:36:04 PM »
Another wall of text because I eschew human interaction.

Dark Souls 1

I've never gotten past the 1/3 mark but with the release of the third game I feel like if I don't start catching up I'll be left behind.  Plus, as a lifelong gamer, I feel like I have something to prove.  Opted to be a Pyromancer maining a Pike of all things, so far I've wrecked everything up through the Bell Gargoyles (ie, not much) and the Capra Demon is kicking my ass.  I'm trying real hard not to cheese it with the Drake Sword but...  anyway I did, however, beat two of the Black Knights and Havel, so at least there's that.  Playing on PC with the framerate cap removed in 1080 with highres texture pack, sweet as hell.

Mad Max

After the 4th time the Capra Demon kicked my ass I decided I wanted something easy to play to cool down and the Mad Max game had been sitting there looking at me for weeks, ever since I got it on sale for like 15$ (to say nothing of the extra copy I now have as a result of the Humble Monthly Bundle) after hearing the Drift session of Red Markets and Caleb's inspiring description of the raiders (verbing Mad Max killed me dead).  Happy to discover that Mad Max is a good game, not an AMAZING OMG GOTY game but solid in every respect, especially the near constant 60 fps it achieves on my aging PC.  It looks good, it plays good (with a controller, at least), the intro movie was surprisingly awesome, the voice acting is surprisingly excellent hell even the writing is way better than I'd expected; the mutant NPC you meet right in the beginning is particularly well done in every way.  Solid, especially for fans of the franchise and even more so for fans of the last movie (which I loved).

FTL

Something to play at work, everyone knows FTL (roguelike scifi spaceship game), I've never actually beaten it though I've got to the end a couple times, it's fun but the combat is so goddamn repetitive and slow I'm kinda surprised it got as popular as it did.  Still great, though.

Dungeonmans

Pretty damned good roguelike dungeoncrawler with graphics, it won't win any awards but it's fun if you like these kinds of things.  Can be played with a controller, as well, which is nice.  Nowhere near as deep as bigger roguelike names like TOME but I like it.

Sproggiwood

Yeah ok, I like roguelike dungeoncrawlers.  This one is pretty simplistic (ported mobile game, I guess) but still quite good for what it is.  Much smaller in scale than most RLs, but decent graphics, controller support, and some charming writing keep me coming back, at least until I complete it.

GALAK-Z

Interesting free-roam 360 degree top-down shooter, really good controls once you get used to them (which takes a minute), story is intended to be an homage to classic 80s anime (especially Robotech) but is kinda pointless, art style is like a webcomic interpretation of that same 80s scifi anime look (ie, too clean and lame but not terrible).  I thought I'd play for 5 minutes and give up and I've put in 4 hrs.  A pleasant surprise.

Titan Souls

Not a terrible little game, a pixelart homage to Shadow of the Colossus, the gimmick being you have a bow with one arrow that you can summon back to yourself, the game is composed solely of bosses that you encounter while exploring crumbling yet idyllic ruins.  Unfortunately, you have to walk a couple screens back to a boss if you die, and you might die in ooooh 2 seconds, so a 20 second walk back gets kinda grating, especially after the 10th time; an option to start outside the boss room would have kept me trying, but as it is I killed like 6 of them and uninstalled.  The fights were cool (once you figure out their pattern and weak spot many can be killed in one shot) so it's disappointing to have the experience marred by pointless drudgery.

Mushroom 11

Clever puzzley game where you control a mostly indestructible fungus in a postapocalyptic wasteland, trying to find... I don't know actually.  But this is a great game.  It's hard to describe but it's well worth checking out.  One of the best puzzley games I played this year.

Talisman: Horus Heresy

I dunno, I love Warhammer 40k despite it's ridiculousness, and I like the original Talisman, so I picked this up on sale last week, thinking it would be good to cool down with after Dark Souls... not so much.  The game is fine but it's a little to stressful to play on autopilot.  Still, it's pretty good, faithful to the source material, looks great, and I had fun playing it.  I may actually buy the DLC when it's on sale.

Starward Rogue

Sweet little action roguelike (twin stick shooter actually) from the devs that make AI War and Last Federation, I bought this to support the company Arcen Games because they've fallen on hard times and was pleasantly surprised to find that I enjoy the game quite a bit.  It's a randomly generated top down twinstick shooter bullet hell game with leveling and loot and some reeeeeally creative bullet types/spreads/etc.  Also you play as a severed head of a space hydra that has been put inside a mech body (the same space hydra from Last Federation, which is also amazing and unique as hell).  Been waiting to play this some more, finally got my DS4 controller in and used this to put it through its paces.

Adam_Autist

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #1321 on: May 20, 2016, 06:21:31 AM »
Taking a break from Xcom 2 because I'm sick of the AI handing me my arse.

Also I can't play DOOM because my ps4 has too many updates on it at the momemt.

Have beem playing a lot of Kingdom Rush on my android.

HapexIndustries

• View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: May 20, 2016, 07:20:35 PM »
I started playing Stellaris.  I hope it stays this deep throughout the whole game.

How is Stellaris holding up? I played for about 6 hours but did everything wrong (like I usually do on a 4x) so I need to start over, of course.  The early game is pretty cool, with all the exploration and station building and such, but I felt like the diplomacy was broken, I tried to give 1000 energy credits to a neutral party and it made no impact on their tradeometer thingy.  Maybe they don't like energy?  I dunno.  I have a policy of not getting a 4x until the first expansion (thanks Civ: Beyond Earth for forcing me to take that stance) but Stellaris seems really cool... and yet there has been some disagreement in the 4x community as to whether the late game holds up.

PirateLawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: May 21, 2016, 01:30:35 AM »
I started playing Stellaris.  I hope it stays this deep throughout the whole game.

How is Stellaris holding up? I played for about 6 hours but did everything wrong (like I usually do on a 4x) so I need to start over, of course.  The early game is pretty cool, with all the exploration and station building and such, but I felt like the diplomacy was broken, I tried to give 1000 energy credits to a neutral party and it made no impact on their tradeometer thingy.  Maybe they don't like energy?  I dunno.  I have a policy of not getting a 4x until the first expansion (thanks Civ: Beyond Earth for forcing me to take that stance) but Stellaris seems really cool... and yet there has been some disagreement in the 4x community as to whether the late game holds up.

It is good and it is improving with consistent patches and support from the developers. Paradox has a great reputation for supporting their games and adding lots of good DLC on top of that.

I'm about 12 hours into a game after a couple of shorter learning sessions and enjoying it. Haven't done much diplomacy though. But I haven't really reached late game yet.

HapexIndustries

• View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: May 24, 2016, 10:02:25 PM »
No wall of text today because I played the same game all weekend.  For any fans of Dark Souls looking for a slightly less intense, sidescrolling experience I recommend

Salt and Sanctuary

This is an indie game (less than 20$ on Steam, probably the same for PS4) that IS, for all intents and purposes, Dark Souls reimagined as a sidescroller a la Symphony of the Night or Rogue Legacy.  From the gameplay to the atmosphere to the menus to some of the sound effects, this would be a ripoff it weren't so clearly an homage.  It makes some changes and additions to the formula (honestly these might be things that later DS games did, I didn't play them) but it is clearly intended for fans of DS.  I played for 20 or so minutes and put it aside the other day but I kept thinking about it, even when playing other games.  Finally I gave in, loaded it up, and played for about 10 hours over my weekend.  Maybe it's too easy for DS veterans but I found the level of challenge to be juuuuust about perfect and haven't had to look up anything or cheat yet.  One of the best little surprises I've had in a while and, while not original in anyway, it is impressive if only for its success in applying the DS template to a totally different genre.

trinite

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #1325 on: May 25, 2016, 04:50:59 PM »
No wall of text today because I played the same game all weekend.  For any fans of Dark Souls looking for a slightly less intense, sidescrolling experience I recommend

Salt and Sanctuary

This is an indie game (less than 20$ on Steam, probably the same for PS4) that IS, for all intents and purposes, Dark Souls reimagined as a sidescroller a la Symphony of the Night or Rogue Legacy.  From the gameplay to the atmosphere to the menus to some of the sound effects, this would be a ripoff it weren't so clearly an homage.  It makes some changes and additions to the formula (honestly these might be things that later DS games did, I didn't play them) but it is clearly intended for fans of DS.  I played for 20 or so minutes and put it aside the other day but I kept thinking about it, even when playing other games.  Finally I gave in, loaded it up, and played for about 10 hours over my weekend.  Maybe it's too easy for DS veterans but I found the level of challenge to be juuuuust about perfect and haven't had to look up anything or cheat yet.  One of the best little surprises I've had in a while and, while not original in anyway, it is impressive if only for its success in applying the DS template to a totally different genre.

Cool, I should check that out. I love 2d platformers, and I've never gotten a chance to play Dark Souls, as much as I'd really like to.
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Adam_Autist

• View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #1326 on: May 31, 2016, 04:17:36 PM »
My pc version of Payday 2 started working. Woo! Now I can be terrible at it all over again.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 04:32:37 PM by Adam_Autist »

The Lost Carol

• The Calvinist Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: June 01, 2016, 11:55:58 PM »
While I was on vacation I started replaying Super Metroid on my New 3DS. It's probably my #1 or #2 favorite game of all time. It's a game that has a special place in my heart and I always go back to it after a while. It seems so odd to see an SNES game on a portable after growing up with the SNES, but it's so awesome. Latest run through was 5:47 with 93% of items (only missed 6 missiles and a super missile).
Need more Actual Play goodness? Visit http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/ for Red Markets Beta, Call of Cthulhu, Eclipse Phase, and more!

Alethea

• View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #1328 on: June 02, 2016, 06:32:18 PM »
Just installed 'The Little Ones' DLC for This War of Mine, so that's going back on the playlist for a while.
All the social media:
Website | Tumblr | Twitter | GoodReads

Adam_Autist

• View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #1329 on: June 02, 2016, 08:29:08 PM »
Suprisingly un useless at payday 2. Still figuring out the controls on pc. Say what you like about consoles the controller is intuitive.

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: June 03, 2016, 04:04:28 PM »
When I can steal some time I am playing Stellaris but it already has caused 2 occurrences of the post 3AM bedtime in the last 3 weeks so wife is less than thrilled with me.

Adam_Autist

• View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #1331 on: June 15, 2016, 09:26:32 AM »
www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/06/14/phoenix-point-new-xcom-julian-gollop/

New game by the originator of XCom. Less aliens more prototype style virus.

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: June 16, 2016, 03:18:29 AM »
www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/06/14/phoenix-point-new-xcom-julian-gollop/

New game by the originator of XCom. Less aliens more prototype style virus.

This is fantastic. Thanks for this.

Also new Lovecraftian/Cthulhu game The Sinking City

http://frogwares.com/games/#The_Sinking_City

The Sinking City
“We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
— H.P. Lovecraft, “The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories”

The Sinking City is a game of investigation and mystery taking place in a fictional open world inspired by the works of H.P. Lovecraft.

The player steps into the shoes of a 1920s private investigator who finds himself in the city of Oakmont Massachusetts, New England. A city suffering from unprecedented floods  of clearly supernatural origins. A city trembling on the brink of madness.

Can you survive this beleaguered town and untangle the mysteries responsible for its tragic situation or will you be driven beyond madness yourself?

Claims to be open world investigation.  Release date TBD.

News and more screen shots.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-03-08-the-sinking-city-is-a-promising-open-world-investigation-lovecraftian-game

Adam_Autist

• View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #1333 on: June 16, 2016, 07:05:30 AM »
Phoenix Point has enclaves and factions! Very Red Markets.

The Lost Carol

• The Calvinist Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: June 22, 2016, 10:21:33 PM »
Been playing 20XX, a rougelike Mega Man game currently in Early Access. If you've been burned by Mighty No. 9, this might be able to heal your wounds. Well, that and just replaying old Mega Man games.
Need more Actual Play goodness? Visit http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/ for Red Markets Beta, Call of Cthulhu, Eclipse Phase, and more!