Author Topic: Stargate RPG  (Read 16738 times)

The_Last_76

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Mark Hamill has Arkham in his name.
    • View Profile
Re: Stargate RPG
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 06:17:58 PM »
Animals are pretty horrible. Your friends are being willfully ignorant of what nature is really like.

They fight.

They bite.

They fight
and bite (Embedding disabled, limit reached) and fight. (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Bite, (Embedding disabled, limit reached) bite, (Embedding disabled, limit reached) bite. (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Fight, (Embedding disabled, limit reached) fight, (Embedding disabled, limit reached) fight. (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

The Itchy and Scratchy Show. (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Fixed that for you, Chief.
"When you realise that humanity is a dead end, the only way out is to stop being human."

beej

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 06:34:33 PM »
You could always co-opt Saga, ints incredible cinematic.   Ship combat is pretty solid and the non-jedi stuff is perfect for any sci-fi setting.   You can do stuff like say heavy blaster pistosl equal deagles.  And if you're going to be throwing in hak-tars and those crazy super powered zealots who worship those fire guys, you can springle in Force powers.     
"Old R'lyeh Brewery. Enjoy a cold one on the Great Old One!"

Iconian

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 09:12:16 PM »
First, let me state for the record that the Stargate setting is one of my favorite of in all of sci-fi. Only the general ignorance of the setting by my group has prevented me from shanghaiing them into a game.

One of the key points of the Stargate setting is balancing issues. Remember that an SG team should be able to overwhelm even a numerically superior Goa'uld-aligned force. But the combat was never a central facet of the story. The central goal of the average episode/arc was to find some scientific solution to a greater problem, any skirmishing was almost window dressing intended to provide a ticking clock. Particularly poignant examples include: [spoiler]The dual scene of a group of Jaffa on Dakara and O'neil and Davis on Earth holding off replicators during the calibration of the Dakara Super Weapon, the air battle in Antarctica while SG-1 secured the Ancient Weapons Platform and a combined Tau'ri-Wraith-Traveler fleet engaging the Asuran Fleet, as a distraction in SG: Atlantis and the entire war against the Ori which was almost entirely consumed by the serch for the Sengraal[/spoiler]

The salient point of this is that any system that would do justice to the setting must have an excellent mechanic for handling skill tasks and investigation.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 11:22:41 PM »
Stargate is 'hey every planet has a sci-fi trope on it. We got tropes from Twilight Zone, from Star Trek, golden age sci fi, pulp sci fi, probably even some of that steampunk shit. Also we shoot aliens with machine guns. Science.'

The_Last_76

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 12:26:31 AM »
Stargate is 'hey every planet has a sci-fi trope on it. We got tropes from Twilight Zone, from Star Trek, golden age sci fi, pulp sci fi, probably even some of that steampunk shit. Also we shoot aliens with machine guns. Science.'

Daniel Jackson does not approve of your analogy.
"When you realise that humanity is a dead end, the only way out is to stop being human."

Salkovich

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • Concupiscent Piranha of the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 12:57:41 AM »

He's not using an analogy. These are just facts.
"It's heresy. Burn the heretics." - Ross Payton NEVAR FORGET
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 01:07:38 AM »

nanotech, greys, time travel, space opera, prophecies, dopplegangers, clones, turned into children, religion vs science, appearances are deceiving, virtual realities, elder races, yo mamma

The_Last_76

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 01:24:43 AM »

nanotech, greys, time travel, space opera, prophecies, dopplegangers, clones, turned into children, religion vs science, appearances are deceiving, virtual realities, elder races, yo mamma

Well, that was 150 hours well spent.

Is it perhaps a curse that any series running long enough will descend into predictable tropes?

Seejo Crux

• High INT, Low CHA. Tend to be social misfits.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 05:51:26 PM »

He's not using an analogy. These are just facts.

This is clearly not true. Sometimes they "zap" aliens with bulletless weapons.