Author Topic: Dr. Who Idolization Thread  (Read 79043 times)

beowuuf

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • DM.com - forums dedicated to a 25 year old PC game.
Re: Dr. Who Idolization Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 05:10:12 PM »

Yeah, but I think River acts so annoying towards the Doctor exactly because he will have done that to her at first. The funny thing is River's relationship seems to run in reverse, odd bumps notwithstandings. So it is very possible that the Doctor's seen River at her best when they first met. I think there are many hints that the more the story goes on, the more she could actually be a pretty large villain. And that the only thing making her good is the fact the Doctor saw her as good from the start, and so beleives in her and tries to change her.

Just a theory.

And River's actions and the reactiosn to her are pretty logical. Rose Tyler was a massive Mary Sue from the word go that everyone seems fine with!

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 05:19:27 PM »

Yeah, but I think River acts so annoying towards the Doctor exactly because he will have done that to her at first. The funny thing is River's relationship seems to run in reverse, odd bumps notwithstandings. So it is very possible that the Doctor's seen River at her best when they first met. I think there are many hints that the more the story goes on, the more she could actually be a pretty large villain. And that the only thing making her good is the fact the Doctor saw her as good from the start, and so beleives in her and tries to change her.

Just a theory.

And River's actions and the reactiosn to her are pretty logical. Rose Tyler was a massive Mary Sue from the word go that everyone seems fine with!

I'm not a big Rose fan but the few episodes with her I have seen I haven't seen her acting like a Mary Sue, more like a terrfied confused human. Well with the exception of Bad Wolf
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

BeyondSandrock

• Give Life Back to Music
    • View Profile
    • The BrightSide Lair - My Personal Repository for Stuff
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 05:24:24 PM »
I wouldn't say Rose was really a Mary Sue insert.  I think a lot of fans despise her because of romance angle that was presented during the first year of the 10th Doctor.  I never minded it as much since I was introduced to the show during NuWho, but I can understand why some people did not like her.  The companion whose story always aggravated me was Marthas.  She could have done so much more as a companion, yet they wasted her by having her pine for The Doctor during her entire run.  
"All of time and space, everything that ever happened or will happen. Where do you want to begin?"

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 05:32:58 PM »
I wouldn't say Rose was really a Mary Sue insert.  I think a lot of fans despise her because of romance angle that was presented during the first year of the 10th Doctor.  I never minded it as much since I was introduced to the show during NuWho, but I can understand why some people did not like her.  The companion whose story always aggravated me was Marthas.  She could have done so much more as a companion, yet they wasted her by having her pine for The Doctor during her entire run.  

Martha was technically my frist companion, her scenes during the year that never was really made me change my opinion of her from Meh to Woot! If that sentence makes any sense.

Oh and I would like to take this opportunity to go on the record as a fan of Amelia.(Granted I will admit to being her "target" audience)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 06:43:01 PM by Flawless P »

Joven

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 07:05:18 PM »
Ya, despite my kinda dislike for the new season, I do like Amelia, and Rori, and even the new Doctor (though not as much as Tennant's).

One thing that kinda was weird to me about Martha was that the actress played a member of Torchwood during the dalek/cyberman thing, and then shows up again and now shes Martha. I liked her, but now that I think about it she was kinda wasted (at least she was better eye candy than Rose).

BeyondSandrock

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 07:53:36 PM »
One thing that kinda was weird to me about Martha was that the actress played a member of Torchwood during the dalek/cyberman thing, and then shows up again and now shes Martha.

If I'm not mistaken they retconned Freema Agyemans Torchwood character from Army of Ghosts/Doomsday as being Marthas cousin.  As for Matt Smiths Doctor, he grew on me as the series progressed.  I'm still not terribly happy about the way RTD wrote the 10th Doctors regeneration in The End of Time.
"All of time and space, everything that ever happened or will happen. Where do you want to begin?"

crash2455

• #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 08:03:16 PM »
One thing that kinda was weird to me about Martha was that the actress played a member of Torchwood during the dalek/cyberman thing, and then shows up again and now shes Martha.

If I'm not mistaken they retconned Freema Agyemans Torchwood character from Army of Ghosts/Doomsday as being Marthas cousin.  As for Matt Smiths Doctor, he grew on me as the series progressed.  I'm still not terribly happy about the way RTD wrote the 10th Doctors regeneration in The End of Time.

Where he regenerated into himself?

BeyondSandrock

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 08:20:24 PM »
No, not the "hand" regeneration that created the Meta-Crisis 10th Doctor and the DoctorDonna (Stolen Earth / Journey's End).  I'm referring to "I don't want to go" after the Doctor finishes visiting every companion one last time.

Joven

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010, 08:35:17 PM »
Ya, the main reaction I've seen from people is it made him look kind of a whiney emo about it, specially after going through it a few times already he should be kinda used to the whole regeneration thing by now.

Plus the death itself was kinda contrived, who builds a door system like that anyway, and judging from him using the TARDIS on his better days his location/time stuff can be off, so giving him the benefit of the doubt it still would have taken at least several hours to a few days to find everyone in a point where he could do some doctor ex machina for them, during which he was pretty much fine, until he actually started to die.

Salkovich

• Concupiscent Piranha of the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 09:04:32 PM »
I read this thread and my head exploded.
"It's heresy. Burn the heretics." - Ross Payton NEVAR FORGET
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 09:08:12 PM »
what have i done?

beowuuf

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2010, 01:49:04 AM »

I just like everything, so it's all good :) It's just if you think about Rose's arc, the doctor basically grabs her as a companion for no real reason, shows her incredible things, and then falls in love with her. And she's so important, they have to cripple the next companion's character just to make the point of how important Rose is. As a UK person, I had every reason to get 'meh' at Rose since she was played by teen pop person Billy, but she was great in the roll so I was instantly ok with it, and Rose's arc. It's just when I've heard Rover or Amy being called Mary Sues, I look back and go 'why are they if...'

I really liked the end of the 10th doctor, even if the first part of that two parter was pretty weak. It's good to re-invest the regeneration with some cost. The Eccleston -> Tennant regernation looked like nothing, and the only reason it went a little wrong was because of the vortex stuff.

It's like 'meh, sure, he can save the world and get killed, no biggie'

It's nice to know that the doctor can feel like it's dying, especially since it would be a logical echo to those watching the series. I think the more he regenerates, probably the more experience he's had with exactly what he loses withit.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2010, 11:00:05 AM »

I just like everything, so it's all good :) It's just if you think about Rose's arc, the doctor basically grabs her as a companion for no real reason, shows her incredible things, and then falls in love with her. And she's so important, they have to cripple the next companion's character just to make the point of how important Rose is. As a UK person, I had every reason to get 'meh' at Rose since she was played by teen pop person Billy, but she was great in the roll so I was instantly ok with it, and Rose's arc. It's just when I've heard Rover or Amy being called Mary Sues, I look back and go 'why are they if...'

I really liked the end of the 10th doctor, even if the first part of that two parter was pretty weak. It's good to re-invest the regeneration with some cost. The Eccleston -> Tennant regernation looked like nothing, and the only reason it went a little wrong was because of the vortex stuff.

It's like 'meh, sure, he can save the world and get killed, no biggie'

It's nice to know that the doctor can feel like it's dying, especially since it would be a logical echo to those watching the series. I think the more he regenerates, probably the more experience he's had with exactly what he loses withit.

I always attributed the "Meh" feeling that Eccelston gave off to him in a way, being at peace. You could always tell that the 9th Doctor was preoccupied with all his baggage, so when he went Eccleston -> Tennant  it was like releasing his baggage.(Only that didn't really happen)
It always seemed to me that the 9th Doctor was "ready" to be someone else.

You know though, thinking back on the episode I was pretty choked up by the whole scene.

beowuuf

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2010, 01:27:31 PM »

It was an emotional scene, I think marred a little by having to be a little meta and have the doctor explain to rose (and hence the new audience) how regeneration worked. Trying to reassure people the charascter kinda remains the same undermines losing that version.

I do like that the baggage, as you say, seemed to get released. Both that the Doctor wouldn't wipe the Daleks out when he had the chance (the Doctor seems to be on the fence back and forth over that one each regerneration!) and that a new face meant a new start away from the Tiemn War stuff that was still so fresh in the 9th doctor's psyche.

And I know there are obviously reasons for it show-wise, but I like to think the 11th doctor stopped flipping back in time at the start of his 11th regeneration in the seaosn finale because it was stil la painful thing to go back through that!

BeyondSandrock

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2010, 04:27:45 PM »
And I know there are obviously reasons for it show-wise, but I like to think the 11th doctor stopped flipping back in time at the start of his 11th regeneration in the season finale because it was still a painful thing to go back through that!

Which will especially be interesting considering the 11th Doctor has a guest appearance on The Sarah Jane Adventures this season.  Unless Barrowman returns as Jack Harkness this is the only companion of the 10th era that is being revisited. 

Beowuuf, question: Being from the UK, have you gotten a chance to play any of the Doctor Who Adventure games the BBC has been producing?  I managed to play the first installment but have been unable to play the rest because of the regional IP checker the installer has. (Still working on a way to circumvent it).