Author Topic: Dr. Who Idolization Thread  (Read 79056 times)

BeyondSandrock

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Give Life Back to Music
    • View Profile
    • The BrightSide Lair - My Personal Repository for Stuff
Re: Dr. Who Idolization Thread
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2011, 10:42:14 AM »

If River can regenerate, then there is no reason she couldn't grow up to be Kovarian and evil first, and then regret her life and become the nicer River Song later.

However, [spoiler]the British trailer actually has River in that outfit. Though it could be a Moffat double bluff, that would be a huge spoiler. I can't imagine he'd let that one through unless it's true and revealed almost instantly in episode 8.[/spoiler]

Yeah, Moffat likes to keep his audience guessing so I don't think we'll have an answer right away. Though I'm still pretty convinced that the 'good man' River kills will turn out to be [spoiler]Rory.[/spoiler]
"All of time and space, everything that ever happened or will happen. Where do you want to begin?"

Joven

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2011, 10:43:17 AM »
Or another residual crack from the TARDIS exploding engulfs her and shes eliminated retroactively from all continuity...well, I can hope.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2011, 04:38:21 PM »
And there was much rejoicing.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2011, 10:41:06 PM »

If River can regenerate, then there is no reason she couldn't grow up to be Kovarian and evil first, and then regret her life and become the nicer River Song later.

However, [spoiler]the British trailer actually has River in that outfit. Though it could be a Moffat double bluff, that would be a huge spoiler. I can't imagine he'd let that one through unless it's true and revealed almost instantly in episode 8.[/spoiler]

Yeah, Moffat likes to keep his audience guessing so I don't think we'll have an answer right away. Though I'm still pretty convinced that the 'good man' River kills will turn out to be [spoiler]Rory.[/spoiler]

well river is little girl and little girl was astronaut right? so doesn't river kill the doctor?

FrodoLlama

« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2011, 09:40:54 AM »

well river is little girl and little girl was astronaut right? so doesn't river kill the doctor?

The little girl escaped the astronaut suit. It's now empty. Unless she gained a means of travelling through time and shot the Doctor before leaving the suit, or else just returned to it after a while, she couldn't have shot the Doctor. Besides, River not only seemed surprised at the astronaut's attack on the Doctor in present day, but shot at it herself, which suggests that either she doesn't remember shooting the Doctor or that it's not her in the astronaut suit.

Also, can River regenerate? Sure, she can pull off the whole lightshow and heal herself, but Adult River looks like Child River. If she could pull off the entire regenerative process and change into another person, surely it would be made more obvious. Perhaps this is a problem faced by [spoiler]partial Time Lords.[/spoiler] However, it does make sense that she has multiple lives and simply hasn't used them yet, in the context of "Forest of the Dead" where she tells the Tenth Doctor that completing the circuit (or whatever it was they were attempting) would kill him, even though he still had lives left to regenerate into. Another question left unanswered is why she needed to pseudoregenerate in the first place. She said that she was dying, but becaues of what was never actually revealed.

Also also, it's seeming more and more likely that Rory is the "Good Man", especially since [spoiler] the Eleventh Doctor and Amy have both been signed on to do Series 7, and as of yet, Rory hasn't.[/spoiler] I sincerly hope Moffat is trying to trick us, because it seems a bit too predictable right now.

beowuuf

• View Profile
    • DM.com - forums dedicated to a 25 year old PC game.
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2011, 01:19:06 PM »

Though river does say 'oh, of course not' after finishing shooting, which seems to imply she realises it was impossible to kill the astronaut, and was just caught in the heat of the moment. Again, nothing says it couldn't be a double bluff from Moffat to make everyone assume River was in the suit.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2011, 03:33:57 PM »
Regardless of whatever the plan is, I'm just hoping it is presented cleanly and well.  I want questions answered, or at least given enough information that one can make a reasonable assumption.  I don't want to think too much about it (this is not one of my "think about it" shows), though I would prefer if it was not overly heavy-handed...

beowuuf

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2011, 04:06:18 PM »

I think he's been good for revealing things cleanly as it's gone along, while still leaving you to guess what the next question's answer is. We knew what the crack was, and then what caused it, and then what that actually meant last year. And by the end of that, the only question was 'what was the silence.' This year we know how the doctor dies, and who the silence are, and then who river actually is. So we should get to know what all of those actually mean later. Hopefully. What the next question is that leads us to the new series I don't know, but I'm sure it will be a new question!

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2011, 09:30:17 PM »
Regardless of whatever the plan is, I'm just hoping it is presented cleanly and well.  I want questions answered, or at least given enough information that one can make a reasonable assumption.  I don't want to think too much about it (this is not one of my "think about it" shows), though I would prefer if it was not overly heavy-handed...

they called me the face of boe

also the doctor has been mucking around in his own timestream or whatever so there's that

and has anyone ever actually considered the sheer amount of people who have died on the Doctor's excursions? It's a lot of people. Every single goddamn episode you can count on at least 2-3 people dying on average. Sometimes it's a lot more and sometimes it's none at all, but generally, the Doctor fails to save most people's lives. Just ranting over here. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 09:32:17 PM by Kroack »

FrodoLlama

« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »

they called me the face of boe

also the doctor has been mucking around in his own timestream or whatever so there's that

and has anyone ever actually considered the sheer amount of people who have died on the Doctor's excursions? It's a lot of people. Every single goddamn episode you can count on at least 2-3 people dying on average. Sometimes it's a lot more and sometimes it's none at all, but generally, the Doctor fails to save most people's lives. Just ranting over here.

Yep. He's been surrounded by so much death, it's practically a part of him. According to the radio play "Scherzo", the Time Lords believed the Doctor had companions as memento mori, reminders of death and his own mortality. According to "A Death in the Family", he has something like a calendar of the days where his companions die. He brings destruction with him, regardless of where he goes, and I seem to recall the Tenth Doctor having some sad moments over the amount of death his presence has wrought over the years.

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2011, 03:52:50 PM »
i would like to see an episode where the doc is totally ptsd and just fucked up. For the most part he glosses over people's deaths and is fine the next episode.

BeyondSandrock

• Give Life Back to Music
    • View Profile
    • The BrightSide Lair - My Personal Repository for Stuff
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2011, 05:30:59 PM »
i would like to see an episode where the doc is totally ptsd and just fucked up. For the most part he glosses over people's deaths and is fine the next episode.

See the beginning of the 6th Doctor's run (Colin Baker), in which he tries to choke his companion to death after regenerating.
"All of time and space, everything that ever happened or will happen. Where do you want to begin?"

beowuuf

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2011, 02:06:33 AM »

Well he is 900 years old now. He's used to that. For the latest hint of it, you have the end of 'A Good Man Goes to war...' with the female soldier at the end. Instead, you get more subtle glimpses by the fact that he's darkened over the whole run, is someone who has to choose to be good by his own admission and live by rules, and has a dark side that basically tried to kill him and all Amy/Rory in the dream Lord episode. If you want to see an extreme reaction to all the death, instead see unbridled joy and how much it means to him when no one dies. Ie The Doctor Dances.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2011, 11:47:12 AM »
So "Let's Kill Hitler" was good. At least I think so.

Endeared River to me, she was funny and not super annoying for once.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Joven

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2011, 01:14:21 PM »
Nah, she was still really annoying. She wasn't as bad before she regenerated, but her whole regeneration sequence was annoying.  Maybe her character wasnt as annoying in the episode (any other character and it would have been a fun nazi terrorizing romp), but since it was based around shoving her down our throats some more, overall it made me hate her more.

[spoiler]Also the whole gun/banana/loaded/unloaded thing was OK, but she just happened to be carrying the uberdeath poison, had it on her lips, which survived her regeneration, and doesnt effect her but transfers with the slightest touch...[/spoiler]

Actually, on whole the medical things of Dr Who always annoys me, presumably the tardis should have cures for pretty much every disease ever, and the most advanced medical life support systems possible, but at best the 'doctor' uses whatever crap he has on hand in the time of where he is, and is surprised that people around him die of simple stuff all the time.  Granted, they cant just have him swoop in with the super duper phoenix down all the time, but they could at least make some effort to somewhat explain why he almost never can heal anyone of anything.

Kinda like weapons and Torchwood, specially in season 3, where they have their big super tricky plan to finally force everyone to let them have a confrontation with the evil aliens since they're the experts...only to just shoot at it, and fail, not even because of highly advanced alien technology or interference or anything, just cause there was freaking bullet proof glass there...I'm just waiting for them in season 4 to try and punch the miracle (not whats causing it, just the concept) to death.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 01:22:28 PM by Joven »