Author Topic: Ugh  (Read 9109 times)

Zeriken

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
Ugh
« on: September 25, 2010, 09:04:16 PM »
Just purchased a D&D 4th Ed phb. After reading for a couple of hours, I went to the wizard class.

My mind is full of fuck. I might be missing something blatantly obvious after reading for such a long time, but where is the wizard's 'known powers per level' table? Or any of the class', for that matter?

Help is appreciated >.>;;;
Magadheera - Must find sub of this movie.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Ugh
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 09:36:48 PM »
All classes have the same number of powers per level by default.

Zeriken

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 10:57:38 PM »
All classes have the same number of powers per level by default.

Cool. Where do I find this list? Or is there some sort of simple algorithm I follow?

[edit] Found it. Page 29. Lol, I feel dumb now. At least I can move on with character creation, though.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 11:03:07 PM by Zeriken »

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 03:38:09 PM »
Wizards can have two daily and utility powers for a given level and pick which of the two they want to use at the beginning of each day. Expanded Spellbook pushes that up to three.

Zeriken

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 04:50:48 PM »
Lol, I didn't have too much of a difficult time choosing spells, but when I got to rituals I realized I didn't even know who the character was; what kind of rituals would he start out with? Tenser's Floating Disk was was an easy first choice. After a while, I realized I just jumped headfirst into the creation process without even thinking. So I decided to branch it; the character is either secretive, in which case I would take Secret Page and Silence, or he is more of a Nature type that the book suggests Eladrin to be. In which case I would give him Make Whole and Gentle Repose.

Thinking of having the character lean more to the latter, rather than the former.

Also, took the Skill Training: Perception. I figure, if it comes up, I can pick up the Expanded Spellbook at level 2 for the diversity (If I feel I need it). I think that the character would benefit more from the perception rather than the additional diversity that the feat would provide. At least at the lower level.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 07:49:57 PM »
Skill training seems like a poorly made feat to me. If you take a multi-class feat you get a new skill AND an extra ability.

Zeriken

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 08:23:23 PM »
D-wah? I just skipped the entire 'multi-class' thing. I'll be taking a look-see now XD.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 08:29:27 PM »
D-wah? I just skipped the entire 'multi-class' thing. I'll be taking a look-see now XD.

Multi classing is pretty weak in PHB (it's basically just expanding your current options), however in PHB3, there are "hybrid" classes, which are much more intriguing...

Dogfish

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 08:45:05 PM »
Zeriken just drop down that senseless piece of crap and accept the warm bosom of Pathfinder.

JOIN US, JOIN US, JOIN US.

Zeriken

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 09:15:45 PM »
Lol, maybe I'll look into pathfinder in a month or two, when my financial situation levels out. Then again, I've pretty much have only known D&D throughout my paper and pencil rpging life (I dabbled in VtM, once). It will be interesting to expand my gaming, especially after hearing how everyone of the RPPR plays such a wide variety of games. As a side note, I generally can't stand pdfs of books. I have to be able to physically turn the pages XD.

@Hybrid (I actually accidentally first bought the phb3, mistaking it as the phb): This is... madness. It's so good. The problem here, though, is that it will split my choices when I would gain more than 1 of a daily, encounter or at-will when I level up. And it's just kind of not what I want the character to be.

@Multiclass feat: I feel similar as I did with the Hybrid, though not quite as strongly. It doesn't really limit you in any way, other than not allowing you to enter into every class (lol). I suppose taking Warrior of the Wild would fit well with how the character is turning out, and it would train in Perception at the same time.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 09:38:49 PM »
Don't check your finances. Pathfinder is mostly free: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 10:03:59 PM »
don't listen to him, 4E is better than 3E

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 10:04:19 PM »
except for Iron Heroes

that is the best

get Iron Heroes

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 10:15:55 PM »
except for Iron Heroes

that is the best

get Iron Heroes

No shit, why didn't we play more IH?
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read