Author Topic: coolest magic item in D&D  (Read 44395 times)

malyss

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Gimme some sugar baby.
    • View Profile
Re: coolest magic item in D&D
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2010, 10:26:14 AM »
That is a brilliant combination. I am going to give that out as loot and see if my players come up with the combination.

If they don't seem to be getting it, I may provide a situation that would help them think of it...

theoutsiders68

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2010, 01:51:02 PM »
Also consider ring gates one strapped to the fighters back and one carried by a cleric or rougue...

If its a cleric ranged healing really nice and the rougue could attack through it....

Or another fighter

Just a fascinating item...

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2010, 05:59:26 PM »
As long as we are talking about more common wondrous items, I always loved played shadow dancers and taking boots of spider climb (3.5E). This is more important in Ross' games where many (and I mean many) monsters attack from the ceiling.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Arje

• Play by Post Dude. Malcontent.
  • Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2010, 08:36:47 AM »
The correct answer is Sovereign Glue.

No one ever carries around universal solvent. Ever!

High level wizards should carry it around by the bucketful. Timestop + sovereign glue is always a winner. I can't tell you the things i've done with that combination.

I'll sovereign glue some moths to a rust monster, and then where will your precious apparatus and carpets be? hmmmm?
My new goal in life is to play D&D with Judi Dench

ArtfulShrapnel

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2010, 10:17:15 AM »
Hi Ben....

My favorite item is the simple bag of holding however add a bottle of air and climb in.

The wizard could then dim door or teleport the whole party around as they can share the bottle of air well at least up to six characters can.

So much fun

Didn't something strange happen when you teleport a bag of holding? Or was that only when you take it into extradimensional spaces?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2010, 12:05:45 PM »
It's the Bag of Holding / Portable Hole combination that gets alot of attention. There's two results for placing one into the other and I can never remember which is which.

One ends with the bag and hole destroying themselves and everything in them. The other has the bag and hole destory themselves and everything in them but also sucks everything within 10ft of "ground zero" through a portal to a random place in the multi-verse (or the Astral Plane, I can't remeber).

Needless to say, it makes for a good escape option to have on hand.

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2010, 01:13:46 PM »
The correct answer is Sovereign Glue.

No one ever carries around universal solvent. Ever!

High level wizards should carry it around by the bucketful. Timestop + sovereign glue is always a winner. I can't tell you the things i've done with that combination.

I'll sovereign glue some moths to a rust monster, and then where will your precious apparatus and carpets be? hmmmm?

I HAZ MOTH BALLS! I HAVE STATED THIS!

Arje

• Play by Post Dude. Malcontent.
  • Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2010, 02:54:45 PM »

I HAZ MOTH BALLS! I HAVE STATED THIS!

And i'll sovereign glue them to you. You and your moth testicles will never be apart again!
My new goal in life is to play D&D with Judi Dench

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2010, 03:01:52 PM »
So wait, if the moths are glued to the rust monster how will they reach the carpet? Not that a rust monster covered with moths isn't a fairly terrifying thought. Just, maybe they should be Dire Moths.

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2010, 12:45:47 AM »
No one said anything bout Dire moths!

ethan_dawe

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2010, 10:45:09 AM »
Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity

no no....Ring of Warmth!

But seriously, if you are going for "coolness" rather than functionality or what-not, then the Apparatus would be pretty cool. Rod of Lordly Might also is pretty cool, if not terribly tough.

malyss

• Gimme some sugar baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2010, 12:57:08 PM »
It's the Bag of Holding / Portable Hole combination that gets alot of attention. There's two results for placing one into the other and I can never remember which is which.

One ends with the bag and hole destroying themselves and everything in them. The other has the bag and hole destory themselves and everything in them but also sucks everything within 10ft of "ground zero" through a portal to a random place in the multi-verse (or the Astral Plane, I can't remeber).

Needless to say, it makes for a good escape option to have on hand.

It's like dividing by zero.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2010, 01:33:05 PM »
You know, it must be the Astral Plane because the story I first heard that involved it was a Fighter and a Ranger stuck in the Nine Hells. The wizard and the cleric are dead so nobody can cast and the Fighter decides to throw the bag into the hole with everybody gathered around, they get sucked into the Astral Plane and eventually manage to barter their way onto a Gith skiff and get home.

ThnJonWasAZmbie

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Where bears can fly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2010, 01:39:46 PM »
I've always been a pretty big fan of Immovable Rods.  All you need it 2 and you got a ladder to anywhere.
Jumping off diving boards gives you the ability to make your rpg ring with authenticity.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2010, 01:48:27 PM »
I've always been a pretty big fan of Immovable Rods.  All you need it 2 and you got a ladder to anywhere.

That always struck me as a problem of ligistics. You don't have any footholds unless you use the rods right next to a wall and climbing without any weight support sucks.