Author Topic: How do you go about creating CoC adventures?  (Read 4425 times)

MPR

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
How do you go about creating CoC adventures?
« on: July 30, 2010, 05:22:03 PM »
Alright, so after reading through Escape from Innsmouth I have decided to run a series of adventures centered around Innsmouth. There are some plot hooks in the back and I wanted to use some before running the full adventures in the book. So my question is, now that I have the story and a pretty decent handle of the town, how do I go about preparing the adventure so it runs smoothly and such, any advice or pointers are very welcome.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: How do you go about creating CoC adventures?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 05:42:35 PM »
that's pretty vague

when in doubt, add zombies?

I don't know. You aren't giving me enough info to give you good advice.

MPR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 05:49:08 PM »
Im more just looking for general advice, do you choose a few locations to focus on, certain NPCs, plan out a series of events. From what angle do you look at it really.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 05:53:57 PM »
I don't know how many of the past episodes you've listened to, but for straight up general advice, these should be helpful:

Running Horror:
http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2008/10/podcast-episode/rppr-episode-22-get-your-fear-on/

Running Investigation:
http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2010/02/podcast-episode/rppr-episode-41-the-smoking-d20/

At least I found them helpful to get a feel for how one might run a game.  Also listening to some of the CoC APs was helpful (this one is a good example of more investigation as I recall)...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 05:58:22 PM by Mckma »

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 06:01:28 PM »
Kill the PCs as fast as possible. Their mental blood and guts will grease the imaginary wheels of your CoC adventures. In the alternative, sweat, caused by fear, terror, horror, and unusually high heat can achive the same result. Horror sweat is the best.

The best of both worlds is to kill your PCs after they have become extremely sweaty. The best way to get both of these things is by allowing the PCs to destory themselves. Know the world, know the people in it, and allow the PCs to blunder through, sealing their own fates with their "fool proof" plans and schemes.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 06:41:28 PM »
I've always wanted to run a CoC game based upon the US Government raid on innsmouth

MPR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 06:46:15 PM »
I've always wanted to run a CoC game based upon the US Government raid on innsmouth
Thats the final adventure.

And Ill re listen to those podcasts, Ive listened to all of them at one point but neither of those recently. Thanks for the advice so far.