Author Topic: Character Bad Ideas  (Read 18150 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Character Bad Ideas
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 12:51:34 PM »
In the Hunter: The Vigil game I just got started in one of our players wanted to be a recently returned army sniper from Iraq with PTSD and severe alcoholism who seldom leaves his apartment except to buy liquor. He also "knows kung fu", is "great with guns", and owns no firearms.

We tried to run through some hypoteticals of how the other characters, a paint/webcomic artist, a civil engineer, and a minister would interact with him. Best thing we came up with was we'd go to his house looking for guns which he doesn't even have. Eventually we managed to convince him to make his character less isolationist and the game was able to actually function.

ArtfulShrapnel

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 10:01:49 AM »
Call of Cthulhu characters, both by the same guy, for a Masks of Nyarlethotep game. The rest of the group included a Starlett with an interest in the occult, a wealthly playboy who fancied himself an adventurer, and a professor of archaeology at Indiana Jones University. (No, it's not really where he taught. You get the point, right?)

Firstly, after hearing that it really was an investigative-heavy game where fighting would not be a frequent occurrence, he created a gun toting russian/irish mobster with nothing but combat skills. He spoke very little english, was barely literate, and for some reason had a number of "chivalrous" character traits tacked on for interest I suppose. He was the star of several sub-plots, including the "Mystery of Why the Fuck did you Dynamite that Apartment Building?" and "The Case of Why Did you Shoot A Bunch of British Houses With a Thompson?". His final moment was in the middle of thousands of evil cultists when he decided to toss a stick of burning dynamite onto the main stage. He was in disguise, but I pointed out that throwing something while surrounded would instantly give him away, no matter how ridiculous his stealth roll was. He did it anyways.

Then, to fix things, he created a navy seaman who was for some reason being held captive in cairo by the cultists. Since he was an officer, he decided his skills should be focused on leadership and ordering people around, but that he "gives orders, he doesn't actually do stuff. So he won't have any kinds of useful skills, just Leadership and Inspiration and such." He walked immediately into the group and said, pretty much verbatim, "I'm a great leader, so you need to listen to me." They tolerate him because of his player halo, but his (again) complete lack of any investigative skills has made him very few friends, and "I try to inspire X with my inspiration skill" (where X is some sort of inanimate object or inappropriate situation) has become a running joke in game. Because you have to laugh to keep from crying.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 07:45:44 PM »
This is an experience that I had with the only M&M game I have ever played in.

A friend of mine has this girlfriend you see, she fancies herself a "serious" role-player. She lectures us about how our games don't feature enough character interaction and how her chat room RP is sooo much better than anything we could come up with, but she was willing to deign herself to show us how to role-play. Her boyfriend invited a small group of us to play with them. We bit the hook he threw out and decided to show her what was up. Before I started role-playing I had a creative outlet of writing a Super Hero comic based on a team of heroes my friend and I created in City of Heroes. So two of us from that team decided to run with those characters, we tweaked the back stories a little to fit his universe and we were off. With literally 20 issues worth of back-story plus our on respective origin comics to play off of we were ready to describe our incredible characters to them.

I have already digressed a bit in describing our characters so I will sum up our characters. A billionaire Mutant who created a Tech suit to enhance his own powers, and a modern day Inigo Montoya with a Katana and a Tech Suit of his own.(Vengeance Inigo not Drunk Spaniard Inigo)

So we have tons of material to work with and she seems surprised at the level of detail we are packing on. So when it comes to her turn she describes to us, the most ridiculous character this side of the Invincible Hammer Wheel.

Her name was Lola, and she was a 20 somthing with insane amounts of strength, Billions of dollars, a bag of holding with every weapon imaginable in it, every damn knowledge skill you can possibly buy points into, a robot sidekick that was impervious to damage, and had the same amout of skills as she did, an attack yo-yo, and special armor that looked like a catholic school girl outfit, completing the package of retardation was the fact that she hadn't aged a day over 14.

This is compounded by the fact that she in real life looks like a 14 year old girl.

How's that for "serious" role-playing?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 01:59:13 PM by Flawless P »
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 08:34:11 PM »
sounds like she is breaking the rules too - idk how that is rules legal for any reasonable number of points

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 01:14:18 PM »
sounds like she is breaking the rules too - idk how that is rules legal for any reasonable number of points

Yeah her boyfriend was the GM so when we asked about it all he said was "Don't worry about it I double checked it already." So in a PL 7 limit game with PL 8 power points she probably had somewhere north of 200 points floating around.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 12:04:27 AM »

Yeah her boyfriend was the GM so when we asked about it all he said was "Don't worry about it I double checked it already." So in a PL 7 limit game with PL 8 power points she probably had somewhere north of 200 points floating around.

By whoring up her points with flaws and drawbacks she might actually have been able to pull of what you describe her using within the system. But that probably gives her more of a rules lawyer attitude than I'm thinking she actually has. That pretty much proves it's breakable but whatever. Frankly it's much easier to cheat and with complex point buy systems you'd be less likely to get caught.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 01:54:23 PM »

By whoring up her points with flaws and drawbacks she might actually have been able to pull of what you describe her using within the system. But that probably gives her more of a rules lawyer attitude than I'm thinking she actually has. That pretty much proves it's breakable but whatever. Frankly it's much easier to cheat and with complex point buy systems you'd be less likely to get caught.

As far as I could tell she didn't have any drawbacks, unless looking like a 14 yr old is a 100 point drawback.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 07:41:57 PM »
I have another good one.

This one was about a year ago, a little before my Mutants and Masterminds game. It was a game of 3.5 DnD in Forgotten Realms. We had a pretty eclectic group Dwarven Thundertwins, a Air Gensai Rogue, A Human Beguiler(ME :) ) an Elven Cleric, and a Human Monk.

This story is about the Monk.

Or the man behind the monk rather.

He ws experianced at roleplaying and although I didn't know him well I was excitied to see what he would come up with, he decided to play a Monk of Illmater and he tacked on the ever so exciting Vow of Poverty. All these things are pretty normal staples a person will run into here and there, the Monk of Poverty is something I had seen done very well in the past but I was concerned that his last 4 characters being Barbarians would modify his Roleplaying a bit.

I was half right. His role playing was modified, however it was modified by him smoking a ton of pot before he came inside and started trying to "negotiate" with someone, they shook hands and his power to detect evil through a touch went off, a feat that allowed him to touch an evil person for Dex damage, another one of those Sacred feats. The damage is visable due to ice crystals forming on the person. At which point he promptly punches the guy in the face. When asked why he did it his answer was "I didn't want him to freak out."

As a bonus we captured a woman who was super  evil and he wouldnt let us take her armor and sell it.(Granted this was good role playing but it was enchanted full plate damnit!!)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 07:49:45 PM by Flawless P »

crash2455

• #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 03:08:14 PM »
There was also the guy who wanted to play a kid in Monsters and Other Childish Things where his monster would be a succubus slowly draining his dad's soul and planning to do the same to him one day.  It wasn't a completely bad concept for a dark game, but when the other characters were Troy and a moose-ataur version of Rowsdower from The Final Sacrifice and an expy of Edgeworth from Pheonix Wright with a demonic butler,  he wasn't really fitting with the tone of the group.

I just ran into this today.  I'm playtesting a MaOCT scenario, and the players wanted to make new kids/monsters for it.  One of them wanted to make the polar opposite of his character in Road Trip (Winston, the rich kid), and submitted to me this:

Sal was born to a prostitute on the streets of Atlanta, GA. His mother abandoned him in a garbage can and walked away never to look back.  A passing indigent, Ramone, picking through the trash found the baby boy and felt pity for him. He cared for the boy and raised him as well as possible under the destitute circumstances.

It eventually goes on that a crazy homeless man shoots Ramone in the face point-blank, describing the horror in some detail.  A couple days later, Sal gets his monster and together they kill the maniac.

Similar to the OP, this could have been a good character for a darker game, but the scenario we're playing is called "Cultbusters!"

Fortunately, I talked to him about his character, and he agreed it was a bit dramatic for the scenario.

Robot Master

• "Wu Tang gets they cookie."
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2010, 10:05:15 AM »
I'm going to throw myself under the bus on this one...

I once made a 3.5 Wizard who was Neutral Good and had a personal problem with wizard spells that killed. He abhorred violence and would try to avoid it at every pass. So...naturally the character's spellbook was filled with traps such as grease, color spray, polymorph, stuff that makes shields, stuff that makes walls, etc. It drove the group up the fucking wall, but was actually really fun to play.

Oh, and the character's passion in life was to try and modernize magic and create magical items that all people could use to enrich their lives. Why stop at the sunrod or waterproof matches? He carried a cooking pot everywhere with him that was self-heating on magical command. He'd say stuff like "Just think of it guys, what if we were able to create bags of holding for moving companies..." or "Stop telling me I'm stupid, just imagine what a wand that constantly cast "Goodberry" would do for the children in the wastes."
Thanos: "I am going to sacrifice the Earth to gain the love of Death"
Me: (slowly raise eyebrow) "Destroy the Earth? That would be...illogical"
Vortex: "Yes...that...would be...highly...illogical."
Thanos: "Your Star Trek references bore me."

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2010, 10:43:22 AM »
I'm going to throw myself under the bus on this one...

I once made a 3.5 Wizard who was Neutral Good and had a personal problem with wizard spells that killed. He abhorred violence and would try to avoid it at every pass. So...naturally the character's spellbook was filled with traps such as grease, color spray, polymorph, stuff that makes shields, stuff that makes walls, etc. It drove the group up the fucking wall, but was actually really fun to play.

Oh, and the character's passion in life was to try and modernize magic and create magical items that all people could use to enrich their lives. Why stop at the sunrod or waterproof matches? He carried a cooking pot everywhere with him that was self-heating on magical command. He'd say stuff like "Just think of it guys, what if we were able to create bags of holding for moving companies..." or "Stop telling me I'm stupid, just imagine what a wand that constantly cast "Goodberry" would do for the children in the wastes."

This isn't a bad idea. This is great RP'ing. It would have been perfect at the RPPR table.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Joven

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2010, 12:50:48 PM »
Kinda the opposite of the trope Reed Richards is Useless