Author Topic: Old Anti-D&D propaganda  (Read 24603 times)

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
Re: Old Anti-D&D propaganda
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 09:54:04 PM »
That's the next big series I have to buy all the trades to.

Currently I am collecting Daredevil trades of the Bendis variety.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Mason

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • he who laughs last, didn't get it.
    • View Profile
    • my myspace page
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 03:33:57 AM »
Bendis Kicks ass. I met him at a wizards convention a few years back, and by "met" I mean waved at him from across the convention hall. I really enjoyed his work on "House of M" and "Secret Invasion".
"a Kenyan man once told me you can get use to anything when money is involved... he use to stick mice up his ass for twenty dollars a pop." -Spider Jerusalem

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 10:18:38 AM »
Not a fan of his big event stuff. House of M had a good philosophical argument to it, but it was debated on one page and Wolverine squashed it.

Spider-woman: we all have what we want. Shouldn't we just accept this new reality?
Wolverine: No.
Spider-woman: I mean, shouldn't we at least talk about -
Wolverine: No.
(uncomfortable silence)
Wolverine: Bub.

I'm not a fan of Secret Invasion either. It was a transition crossover to a new crossover.

When Bendis does street-level stuff, I love him. I don't think he can plot very well mostly because he has openly admitted that he writes himself into a corner and then writes himself out of it and that is no way to write a story. Therefore, you can read a Bendis story and it all looks bad until the deus ex machina appears and fixes everything.

Where he shines though is his dialogue. He writes dialogue better than any other comic writer. Hands down, there is no one better.

I mean, look at Powers. Perfect dialogue that is fun, witty and real. His plots (other than "Who Killed Retro Girl") all have weak endings.

Anyway, I know I seem really negative on a writer that I initiated the conversation on, so I will step back a moment and say that his Daredevil run is amazing.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Mason

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • he who laughs last, didn't get it.
    • View Profile
    • my myspace page
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 10:59:57 AM »
I love it, you praise Bendis out one side your mouth then trash him with the other. have you read "Secret Invasion"....rhetorical question I know you probably have. the arc on that was amazing. at first I didn't pick up the issues when they were on sale, for reasons I cant remember. the only reason I bought the trade was because I'm preparing for comic con. now I sorely regret not following the story all along. its like invasion of the body snatchers...WITH SUPERHEORS. how do you fight an enemy that you cant see and has all the powers you do? but if your looking to "superhero" comics for great philosophical insight you may be looking in the wrong place. that's not to say a pearl of wisdom may not drop out once in awhile but that's not why most people read them.

either way I digress we should probably move this to its own forum if were gonna continue this discussion.
"a Kenyan man once told me you can get use to anything when money is involved... he use to stick mice up his ass for twenty dollars a pop." -Spider Jerusalem