Author Topic: What Are You Playing Now?  (Read 26665 times)

The_Last_76

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Mark Hamill has Arkham in his name.
    • View Profile
What Are You Playing Now?
« on: October 28, 2010, 01:02:10 AM »
Just a thread to see what sort of games people are in/running at the moment.

I'll get the ball rolling.

Running:
A Colonial-esque campaign taking inspiration from the RPPR New World Games, the Dark Sun setting and the history of Australia.  Have about a dozen players in it and have been running it for nearly 30+ hours now.  They PC's have been broken down into three manageable groups who game on different days.  The basic story line started as 'You have been kidnapped...INTO THE FUTURE' and spiraled off into a Save The World/Rule The World game from there.

Running:
Lovecraft meets Buffy while Watchmen spy on there disgusting lovers tryst.  A team of teenagers uncover the true nature of the cosmos and humanity's small part in it and dedicate themselves to fighting the implacable entropy of existence.  A surprisingly deep campaign, with more player development than I would have expected from my players.  Dealing with one characters slow descent into madness has been an over-arching struggle in the game.

Working On:
A multi-tier Halo campaign.  Something that can combine the political intrigue of the various military factions, space combat, SpecOps, Squad level combat and Combined Arms level combat.  The basic concept I have been working on is each players plays a few different 'roles' as they interact with other characters and players while trying to win the war and better themselves from it.  Still early days yet, but I've nutted out a basic system for character creation, pitting rank and usefulness against personal ability and their command.

Playing:
A 3.5ed Eberron campaign.  Made a Warforged Private Eye who very early on showed his true colours by sticking to the letter of his job rather than the spirit of it.  Only one session in but it looks promising.

Playing:
Glory Under The Desert Sun; A WFRP 1st/2nd Ed. crossbreed system set in the distant Araby city of Al-Haikk.  The game is deviously political and focused largely on stopping Brettonia, Araby and the Empire from falling into a three-way war.
"When you realise that humanity is a dead end, the only way out is to stop being human."

crash2455

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
Re: What Are You Playing Now?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 02:49:37 AM »
Running: Monsters and Other Childish Things: Road Trip.  Just ran Session 2 tonight.

Running: Mutants and Masterminds, a campaign I've given the working title "Das Supermann."  It's somewhat unoriginal, but it was suggested by one of the players, and I liked it so I decided to run with it.  It's set in an alternate reality where Germany harnessed the power of the Atom and created an army of unstoppable Supermen to win WWII (like I said, it wasn't too original).  If anyone wants to read the full description of the base setting it can be found here.  It's got sort of an X-Men vibe where other mutants have popped up, and are being persecuted.  It also started out being a very grimdark setting, but ended up being more Deadpool than Frank Miller.

Playing: D&D 3.5.  We are on the epic tier of a campaign which involved us collecting pages for a mysterious wizard who said he was going to create a spell to wipe out the Mindflayers.  We found out when we were nearing our quest that he was actually planning to kill off the Dwarves (I believe his motivation was that he was an Elf).  We faced off in an epic battle against him, but were unable to save 95% of the Dwarven race.  We are now on a quest to eliminate anyone he worked with and possibly find a way to reverse the spell (aside from True Resurrection cast a few billion times).

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 11:47:59 AM »
Running: Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign. Its ongoing, we are taking a break this week to run a one-shot in  honor of Halloween. So far the campaign is doing alright. Took me a bit to jump back in the saddle and figure out how to not be an asshat all the time. We've nine sessions under our belt, and we will probably finish uhm... by the time my lease is up.

Running: Wushu Modern League game- Edward Cullen, Ra's al Ghul, Dr. Evil and Metal Gear Rex are the villains.

Playing: Some guy's homebrew everything. A dwarven Doctor. I have 6HP and last game I rolled a critical failure with my gun and it exploded and took me down to zero. I'm not sure how I feel about this game yet.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 11:55:33 AM »
Running: Pathfinder game that is a continuation of a 3.5 Faerun game we played a while back, I've told the story a few times, this is 30 years after Marcus Battlin is killed and turned into a vampire, his former adventuring companions have settled down, had kids, and founded a small town, in an alternate universe. He returns with sinister intentions, none of which the players know, actually i'm not even sure what they are I am flying by the seat of my pants on this one.
Little more info here. <--- Since then he has 20 class levels as well as being a Vampire and Vampire Lord

Playing: 3.5 Oriental Adventures game, this is the sequal to our first campaign ever. Going pretty good.A little bit of backstory

Working on: Mutants and Masterminds hero game. Outlined Here

« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 12:16:46 PM by Flawless P »
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

beej

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 01:18:55 PM »
As recommened by Tom...I'm playing Poo!
"Old R'lyeh Brewery. Enjoy a cold one on the Great Old One!"

FuzzyDan

• Official Keeper of The Line.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 10:29:20 PM »
Running:  NOTHING.

Playing:  NOTHING.
- Dan, Adding one to his Darkspiral Aura.

Salkovich

• Concupiscent Piranha of the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 11:56:14 PM »
Running:  NOTHING.

Playing:  NOTHING.

Dan is the saddest man.
"It's heresy. Burn the heretics." - Ross Payton NEVAR FORGET
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

Vega Baby

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 12:55:22 AM »
Running:  A 4E D&D game set in the 2E D&D setting of Al-Quadim.  The characters are: A Minotaur Runepriest who worships a warrior God, though his relationship with said God is a bit tense since the god killed him in a battle and then brought him back to life for no clear purpose;  A Goliath Barbarian who gained his powers not by choice, but by a curse laid upon him by a Primordial that fills him with constant anger;  A Eladrin Fighter/Ranger hybrid from Fae'run who was shipwrecked into Al-Quadim;  A Thri-Kreen Fighter who has recently gained a new sense of individuality never experienced by her race;  And a Shardmind Psion who was created by a mage and locked in a room for over a century for an unclear purpose. 

They've received a prophetic vision which revealed that the country would be thrown into a massive civil war, and in a mere year's time, the capital city will be razed and the ruler of the land, the Grand Caliph will be murdered.  The party has this year to do what they can to turn the tide of the war before it even starts.  This game's had a lot of speedbumps in it's development, largely because we lost and gained players at a rapid pace near the beginning, but it's mostly leveled out.  I have a LOT of fun running this one despite the trouble, though.

Playing: A Pathfinder game set in a homebrew setting.  I play a Tengu Rogue/Sorcerer who has a strong dislike of authority, and views thievery as an art form and as legitimate a career choice as any other.  The rest of the party is made up of a Kobold Monk who worships a God of pure law, and is honestly the sole sane man in the party, and a Half-Elf Wizard who tends to ramble a lot about inane stuff.  Also he's an idiot and wears a pilgrim's hat for some reason.  While it's mostly a sandbox-ish game where we're basically supposed find out where there's evil happening in the world and deal with it, we tend to just do stupid things to get ourselves in trouble, and then futilely try to fix what we messed up.

Playing:  A 4E game in yet another homebrew setting.  We're basically just mercenaries in this game, and it's much more hack'n'slash than the other games I play in.  It's fun, but there's not much to talk about.

Darksaw

• I'm a wizard, and that looks fucked up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 11:49:30 PM »
Running: None

Playing:
Deadlands Reloaded, my first campaign of this so I expect it's fairly normal. Harrowed, bandits and railways.

Playing:
D&D 3.5, a Greek world with angry Hades and such.

Working on:
A Call of Cthulhu campaign. Since this will be my first time running a campaign I'm a little nervous and am making sure I have all the facts down before I start. Not to mention the fact the group is busy half the time anyway.

There are a couple of others but we rarely play them.

The_Last_76

• Mark Hamill has Arkham in his name.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 05:28:23 AM »

Working on:
A Call of Cthulhu campaign.

Tell us about it.  I've got a friend working on a CoC campaign for the first time, and I'm sure any insights you have will be worth their text-count in gold to her.
"When you realise that humanity is a dead end, the only way out is to stop being human."

Leofric1313

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • "He's fallen in the water!" - Eccles (The Goons)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 07:24:14 PM »
RAN (last Saturday 6th Nov) - 3:16 Carnage Amongst the Stars; they fought on 3 Planets.   
For anyone who doesn't know the game it is very combat heavy, with weapons that inflict 'Kills' and not damage.   There are only 2 statistics - FA (Fighting Ability) and NFA (Non-Fighting Ability).   All you have to do split 10 points between the 2 stats and then roll less than the stat value to succeed!   Nice and simple, and bloody good fun.
     The players were part of a platoon of 11 Troopers - Commanded by an NPC Lt., a PC was Sarge ("Khan"), another PC was Corporal ("Razak") and another was a Trooper ("Thorn").

1.  Living Planet ('Planet Ruebens') occupied by parasitic lifeforms, where they had to lobotomise the brain.
2.  Asteroid Belt ('Planet Picasso') occupied by Shadow Beasts, where they had to zero-g to find the Research Facility and rescue the scientists.
3.  Ice Planet ('Planet Warhol') occupied by Snow Apes, where they assualted the capitol city of the Apes.

Best Part - During Game 2, the Shadow Beasts somehow morphed into Space Dolphins!   They finally made it back on board their ship without losing a trooper (unlike the previous and next planets), but Trooper Jenkins had been wounded twice.   Just as the airlock doors closed Jenkins suddenly started to shake and shimmy, and an interdimensional gate was formed inside him.   As the Space Dolphins began to emerge from his still living, twisting body the Sarge gave him an order to stop becoming an Interdimensional Gate to the Space Dolphins Universe, which was swiftly followed by the Corporal restating the order in the form of a drill sargeant (hence his name - Razak).   Needless to say, Trooper Jenkins refused to obey the orders and the feared Space Dolphins emerged to attack the brave soldiers of the 3:16.   After the combat, his corpse was promptly court-martialled and found guilty, and his family was shamed.   The interdimensional rift became known as the Jenkinomaly!!!
I would also like to mention that through the players describing the action (which they get to do if they fail a roll), the attacks of the Space Dolphins became anal rape - it was the most surreal fun I have ever had with 3 other guys in the same room EVER!

I would also like to point out that all of us really want to return to the 3:16 universe, and hopefully soon!

PLANNING - Our next game session will be Deathwatch (to be run next Saturday the 13th, and will be ran by my son).   I have a Dark Angel Tactical Marine, one player as a Ravenwing Apothecary and the other as a Crimson Fist Devastator.   I am looking forward to it - we will be doing figure rep too.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:37:13 PM by Leofric1313 »
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour.   Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute.   THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein

Joven

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 07:33:29 PM »

Playing: None

Working On: A few campaigns with a 0% chance I'll ever run them

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 07:35:54 PM »

Playing: None

Working On: A few campaigns with a 0% chance I'll ever run them

:(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(

I'm sorry, you can tells about how awesome they are and that might make you feel better?
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

SageNytell

• We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 07:49:04 PM »
Running: My first Call of Cthulhu game, A Pleasant Night in Emerald Grove... for seven players oh god why did I think this was a good idea...

Running: D&D 4E Dark Sun sandbox-y style game, with my regular group (six players, we never have a full house).

Working on: See also: Running

Working on: Setting up background for a Legend of Zelda D&D 4E game. (Veeeeery small concept work, I've got enough on my plate.)

Working on: Converting a 3.5 pirate-y ocean-y island-y oneshot I wrote into a marketable 4E campaign. (Not likely moving anywhere for a while.)

Playing: Oh, lord, I wish.

ristarr

• View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 08:42:04 PM »
Running:  4e DnD Storm of War.  About to move to paragon tier.

Playing:  4e Dnd Scales of War.  Just finished with a TPK.  Moving on to Dark Sun next.

Working on:  4e Gamma World.  A one or two shot adventure for the Scales group while Dark Sun is getting prepared.  Basing it in Atlanta and doing too much work on it for a one shot.

Working on:  CoC Masks of Nyarlathotep.  The new edition is in the mail.  About to start looking for some players to run it for.

Planning:  Delta Green Phenomen X mini campaign starting with Convergence.  Tried to start it earlier this year, but it never took off.

Planning:  Dresden Files based in Atlanta.  I have created several city setting ideas and threads, but it will be awhile until I have time to run it.