Author Topic: Boycott Thor?  (Read 32651 times)

mathey2

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Re: Boycott Thor?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 09:29:45 AM »
Stringer Bell owns all of Asgard's corners.

But, anyways, let's consider this: Thor isn't real. He never was, even when he was "real" to the Norse. As a fictional creation who has had countless stories told about him and his inbred bunch of relatives, its inevitable that many of them drift from their ostensible source material and go different places than expected by his fans. Consider Batman; he's been around for close to a century now, and you've got interpretations of him ranging from the pulpy crimefighter to the lightly goofy kindergarten version to the epic fantastic and everything in between. Thor has been around much longer and doesn't even have lawyers to protect his identity. Saying that he's supposed to be X or Y after what Jack Kirby and Marvel have done with/to him is even more absurd. I mean, is he contractually obligated to turn into a frog at some point? I mean, I'D watch that in a sequel, but I doubt Hollywood would go for it.

Also, how many times have people done Shakespeare productions with dress and casting far from what the Elizabethan Globe audience would have expected in their day? Macbeth is still Macbeth even if the cast is all morbidly obese lesbians wearing wizard hats.

BeyondSandrock

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Give Life Back to Music
    • View Profile
    • The BrightSide Lair - My Personal Repository for Stuff
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 11:05:20 AM »
There is only one real reason why one should consider boycotting the upcoming Thor film: They neglected to include Beta-Ray Bill  >:(
"All of time and space, everything that ever happened or will happen. Where do you want to begin?"

FuzzyDan

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Official Keeper of The Line.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 04:10:08 AM »
There is only one real reason why one should consider boycotting the upcoming Thor film: They neglected to include Beta-Ray Bill  >:(

There's still room for that in sequels, and you know it.
- Dan, Adding one to his Darkspiral Aura.

Robot Master

• "Wu Tang gets they cookie."
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 04:50:12 AM »
I'm pretty sure I saw Fandral the Dashing, one of the Warriors Three. He's the Asgardian that looks like Carey Elwes.
Thanos: "I am going to sacrifice the Earth to gain the love of Death"
Me: (slowly raise eyebrow) "Destroy the Earth? That would be...illogical"
Vortex: "Yes...that...would be...highly...illogical."
Thanos: "Your Star Trek references bore me."

mathey2

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 06:18:13 AM »

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2010, 09:46:14 AM »
I'm pretty sure I saw Fandral the Dashing, one of the Warriors Three. He's the Asgardian that looks like Carey Elwes.

The Warriors Three are in this movie?! FUCK! They aren't even part of Norse mythology!!! Marvel made them up for the comics!!! That's completely disrespectful of Norse mythology and the white power agenda!!!!
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Robot Master

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2010, 11:39:08 AM »

The Warriors Three are in this movie?! FUCK! They aren't even part of Norse mythology!!! Marvel made them up for the comics!!! That's completely disrespectful of Norse mythology and the white power agenda!!!!

I just IMDB'd. Yeap. Warriors Three are all accounted for and are getting big enough actors that they'll have some swing in the movie. Volstagg the Enormous is played by Ray Stevenson (3rd Punisher, HBO's Rome, King Arthur)

What I think is really sad about this is that Danny Glover would have made an EXCELLENT Odin. While we're at it, RACISTS, what about women? Why can't Thor be a girl? What about female representation in male roles? Why can't we have a female Odin or a MALE SIF!

...actually Thor girl's kinda hot.

rayner23

• View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2010, 11:59:56 AM »

I just IMDB'd. Yeap. Warriors Three are all accounted for and are getting big enough actors that they'll have some swing in the movie. Volstagg the Enormous is played by Ray Stevenson (3rd Punisher, HBO's Rome, King Arthur)

What I think is really sad about this is that Danny Glover would have made an EXCELLENT Odin. While we're at it, RACISTS, what about women? Why can't Thor be a girl? What about female representation in male roles? Why can't we have a female Odin or a MALE SIF!

...actually Thor girl's kinda hot.

Along those lines (but considering that it is Shakespeare, and not comics, it might not be those lines at all), Julie Taymor's "the Tempest" features a recasting of Prospero as a woman rather than a man and people aren't upset.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Robot Master

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2010, 12:34:51 PM »
Oh yeah, dude, sometimes it works out pretty cool. I could see Prospero as a girl. In fact I'm going to look into that version of the Tempest.

Did anyone hear the rumor back in the day that Will Smith was being considered for Captain America?

rayner23

• View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 09:22:37 AM »

Ryo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 10:08:30 AM »

But, anyways, let's consider this: Thor isn't real. He never was, even when he was "real" to the Norse.

Do you mean because the people who worshiped Thor didn't have a written language (unlike say the Egyptians) we don't really know all that much about the actual religion?

Patrick

• No federal minimum wage for kobolds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 11:29:32 AM »
Beta-ray Bill as a grippli?
[Resistance Is Futile... Have A Great Day!]

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2010, 01:31:56 PM »

But, anyways, let's consider this: Thor isn't real. He never was, even when he was "real" to the Norse.

Do you mean because the people who worshiped Thor didn't have a written language (unlike say the Egyptians) we don't really know all that much about the actual religion?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runic_alphabet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saga

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norse_mythology#Primary_sources

Ryo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 01:48:17 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runic_alphabet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saga

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norse_mythology#Primary_sources

What's your point is what? Runic alphabet does not compare to Egyptian hieroglyphics.

Educate yourself
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/nordic-faq/part2_NORDEN/section-3.html

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 01:58:47 PM »
I am really not clear on what angle your supporting here, Ryo.