Author Topic: Boycott Thor?  (Read 32459 times)

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
Boycott Thor?
« on: December 16, 2010, 12:26:58 PM »
http://boycott-thor.com/

http://cofcc.org/

Seriously, fuck all of these people so fucking hard.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
Re: Boycott Thor?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 12:58:58 PM »
I'll admit to being a little annoyed when they cast Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin but this is ridiculous.

These guys are just plain retarded.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Wooberman

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 01:29:01 PM »
I'm sad that i share the same homeland as these idiots.

Mckma

• Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 01:49:30 PM »
So I try to understand a lot of things and I usually can.  I can see someone being upset because a popular figure is cast largely because they are popular (kind of like Michael Cera in Scott Pilgrim or Seth Green in Green Hornet), or being upset because someone doesn't really look like or fit well for a part (for whatever reasons, even if it is a racial/ethnic discrepancy).  I could even see claiming it's politically motivated (which it may in fact be).  But I don't get trying to play a "reverse racism" card.  Or at least calling it an "attack" on "white mythology" like they do...

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 02:16:25 PM »
I like the Marvel tab on the blog, where it seems to imply that being lampooned in a comic book is a major threat.

Ryo

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 02:18:31 PM »
Its looks silly to have him in there, ie Robinhood. If you are just adding someone because you want some ethnic diversity at least have the character fit the story you are telling. However I agree that those opinions about attacking white culture and such are dumb.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 02:24:53 PM »
Its looks silly to have him in there, ie Robinhood. If you are just adding someone because you want some ethnic diversity at least have the character fit the story you are telling.

Agreed, casting actors simply to make a movie more diverse is not a tactic I support.

I also don't think the narrative of the story should limit the actors who want to be involved, only their ability act. I think they should just cast the best actor who tries out for the part. If you need them to be white, black, or purple for the story than just recolor them in post production. CGI, wave of the... well, of the past frankly since it's been used in major motion pictures for the last thirty years.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 02:26:25 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 03:06:51 PM »
Its looks silly to have him in there, ie Robinhood. If you are just adding someone because you want some ethnic diversity at least have the character fit the story you are telling. However I agree that those opinions about attacking white culture and such are dumb.

uh huh

Jesus was a Galilean Jew so he most likely looked like a person of middle Eastern descent. Yet, he's commonly depicted as a white man.

Vikings brought Native Americans to Iceland 1000 years ago and had kids with some of them http://www.ancestor.com/dna/vikings-brought-native-americans-to-iceland-1000-years-ago/ plus the fact that the vikings fucked pretty much any women they could get their hands on (looting and pillaging) I doubt they actually believed in the neo-nazi bullshit assholes like this guy does

Contemporary racist ideology did not exist in the middle ages - people cared more about what nation you were you from than what race you were - not to say that racism didn't exist - but the beliefs and attitudes of the vikings ARE REALLY FUCKING DIFFERENT than what you or I believe or think. - Who's to say the Vikings wouldn't have had a black or a mixed race viking with them? "Oh yeah, he looks different but he fights well so fuck it"

Shakespeare's plays have been performed countless times yet some of the best performances have been radical remakes - Kurosawa's Ran and Throne of Blood come to mind.

SO

I am assuming that the Asgardians in Thor came to earth a long time ago and influenced our culture - leading to the norse myths - so it makes more sense that the Asgardians DO NOT match norse mythology perfectly - what story is perfectly retold in oral tradition over 1000 years?

ALSO

As an artist, I applaud them actually trying to come up with a unique VISION for Thor and the Asgardians - it's a helluva a lot better than being a boring ass LOTR wannabe movie.

I prefer movies that have more diversity because they are more INTERESTING than another cookie cutter hollywood by the numbers piece of shit boring ass formulaic CGI laden piece of dreck.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 03:09:36 PM by clockworkjoe »

rayner23

• Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 03:09:12 PM »
Ross said everything I wanted to say.

AAAAAAMEN!!!!!
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Ryo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 03:37:05 PM »
Clockworkjoe, this isn't a Norse tale. Its Marvel. However putting that aside, I agree that Norse Gods don't need to be white bread, Hitler youth poster boys. But he's the only black guy I saw among the Asgardians. He stands out like a sore thumb. It shouts, I am only here because I am black.

I'm sure there have been lots of white people who have played Othello, but if the only reason you cast the white guy is because you want to have a token white face in the play then I don't like it.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 03:43:23 PM »
Clockworkjoe, this isn't a Norse tale. Its Marvel. However putting that aside, I agree that Norse Gods don't need to be white bread, Hitler youth poster boys. But he's the only black guy I saw among the Asgardians. He stands out like a sore thumb. It shouts, I am only here because I am black.

I'm sure there have been lots of white people who have played Othello, but if the only reason you cast the white guy is because you want to have a token white face in the play then I don't like it.

we've only seen a few of the Asgardians in the trailer.

Also, it doesn't shout out anything like that to me. Have you considered that the actor playing Heimdall might have been the best actor to audition for the role?

In fact, I just looked up the guy playing him. Idris fucking Elba. IDRIS ELBA. He is the fucking man and an amazing actor.

So yeah, they did a pretty great job casting him.

Were you angry that James Earl Jones voiced a white dude in Star Wars?

Darksaw

• I'm a wizard, and that looks fucked up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 05:05:17 PM »
They link to the BNP in the sidebar
lul

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 05:49:31 PM »
I'm saddened that Locki doesn't seem to be wearing his green outfit with giant ass gold horns. He appears to be more or a slimy emo dude.

Ryo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 06:48:56 PM »

Maybe we saw different trailers, but it look to me like there were a lot, although many were in armor. I suppose we will have to wait for the movie to come out before we can tell who is right. To me, if they did cast 20 white guys and 1 black person, I find that noticeable. There are a lot of good black actors out there. If acting talent was the only thing the producers were looking I would except the ratio to be more mixed. Do you disagree?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 07:19:55 PM »

Maybe we saw different trailers, but it look to me like there were a lot, although many were in armor. I suppose we will have to wait for the movie to come out before we can tell who is right. To me, if they did cast 20 white guys and 1 black person, I find that noticeable. There are a lot of good black actors out there. If acting talent was the only thing the producers were looking I would except the ratio to be more mixed. Do you disagree?

Yes, yes I do.

I saw a close up of an Asian Asgardian warrior for one thing - no one's commenting on that

Also, it's hard to make out features in the 2 crowd shots - half of the asgardians are wearing helmets and the rest are in the background

BUT

If you look at the crowd scenes in 1080 HD, then you can make multiple Asgardians of color - black, Asian, etc. :O

Also casting is also a function of the schedule of the actors, bankability what they are asking for etc.

Keep in mind that world class actors are far and few between and Idris is one of them. If I were a producer, if I could get him for a good price, I would in a second.