Author Topic: Campaigns You Would Run If You Had The Time And Players And Energy  (Read 89062 times)

mathey

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Re: Campaigns You Would Run If You Had The Time And Players And Energy
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2010, 10:36:42 PM »
Before I saw those photos, I always imagined that Sandy Frank was a cherubic fat man who liked silk satin dressing gowns and collecting Precious Moments figurines. The MST3K song about him "gadding about all day" probably had something to do with it.

Now I cannot think of him without questioning the existence of God.

Here's what wikipedia had to say about Mr. Frank:

Five of the Gamera films, as well as Frank's Fugitive Alien, Star Force: Fugitive Alien II, Time of the Apes, Mighty Jack, Legend of the Dinosaurs and Humanoid Woman, were lampooned on Mystery Science Theater 3000 twice (originally from KTMA, then to Season 3), except for Legend of the Dinosaurs and Humanoid Woman. During the remakes in Season 3, the crew of Mst3k ripped on Frank so much during some of the host segments and theater segments that they even made a song directed to him called "The Sandy Frank Song" in 306 - Time of the Apes, which said that Frank was "the source of all our pain" and implied that he was too lazy to make his own films. Because of this, when the rights to all the films expired in 1996 and could not be renewed, a rumor went around saying that Frank was "intensely displeased" by the mockery directed at him, and he refused to allow the shows to be rebroadcast or commercially released because of that. [1] A few years later, the rumor was later confirmed false when Kevin Murphy said that Frank was not offended, but just wanted a lot of money because of Mst3k's success, but at the same time lost the rights to all the films anyway and all reverted back to their original owners, but to some of which made the distribution rights even more complicated (an example is Kadokawa Pictures, who were horrified at what Mst3k did to their Gamera films that they refused to let them be commercially released, according to Brian Ward, one of the members of Shout! Factory, who even stated in his own words that "The Japanese just aren't into their man-in-suit flicks being parodied or mocked in any way." [2]). It is currently unknown about the status on how Tsuburaya Productions feels about Mst3k's treatment to Mighty Jack, Saru No Gundan (Time of the Apes), and Star Wolf (the two Fugitive Alien films), along with Toei Company's feelings to Mst3k's treatment to Legend of the Dinosaurs, and Gorky Film Studio's feelings to Mst3k's treatment to Per Aspera Ad Astra (Humanoid Woman).

In addition to Japanese imports, Frank is known in game show circles for producing and distributing two music game shows in the 1980s: Name That Tune and Face the Music. Frank also owns the rights to You Asked For It, last seen in the United States in 2000.

Apologies for this digression from the campaign ideas.

Here's a quickie: the PCs are walking down the street when they are hit by a truck. It'd be a one shot.

Joven

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2010, 12:55:51 AM »

Here's a quickie: the PCs are walking down the street when they are hit by a truck. It'd be a one shot.

Or to re-de-rail it back to MST3K, they're in a taxi driven by a guy high on crack, who rams them into a giant tree at high speed, yet they wake up out of site from the wreck and apparently without a scratch, except no one can seem to hear them, and a huge guy in a black trench coat is hunting them down.  Bullets can't stop him (although golf clubs work), and he just keeps coming, finding them wherever they go, he has the ability to take any form he wishes, and can fire sharpened metallic acorns he has stashed in his prodigious cheeks at high velocity.  The players must evade the unstoppable big-faced doom bringer while uncovering the secret of the car wreck.

mathey

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2010, 06:40:55 PM »
Or to re-de-rail it back to MST3K, they're in a taxi driven by a guy high on crack, who rams them into a giant tree at high speed, yet they wake up out of site from the wreck and apparently without a scratch, except no one can seem to hear them, and a huge guy in a black trench coat is hunting them down.  Bullets can't stop him (although golf clubs work), and he just keeps coming, finding them wherever they go, he has the ability to take any form he wishes, and can fire sharpened metallic acorns he has stashed in his prodigious cheeks at high velocity.  The players must evade the unstoppable big-faced doom bringer while uncovering the secret of the car wreck.

"Oh, Z'no!"

Charlie72

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2011, 11:35:18 PM »
MaOCT:PERSONA PERSONA PERSONA! SOCIAL LINKS SOCIAL LINKS SOCIAL LINKS!
A Monsters and Other Childish Things game base off the Persona series. The players are all teenagers that are on there way to attend a boring school in the island town of New Mu, off the the coast of Washington State. They arrive to find that something strange and horrible has happed. Instead of the normal relationship dice players get at the start, they get a relationship pool which they can spend on people at the school and in the town.

A Dirty World: Oort Cloud
A Dirty World IN SPACE (but has nothing to do with the game In Spaaace). Mankind takes its first into colonizing space, and crime and corruption are close to follow. I originally came up with this as a one shot, but I think I can make an entire campaign out of it.

Moondog

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2011, 11:55:17 PM »
Persona thing sounds awesome, Charlie.

As for me, oh god, so many.

Fear Itself: I want to run something Clock Tower inspired.

New World of Darkness (shit flavor text, much better rules), I wanna do Sweet Home style thing.

Maid RPG: Something that rips Disgaea off completely, and is lighthearted and about as ridiculous as what Nippon Ichi could come up with. Dood. Maybe a school setting.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles And Other Strangeness: EDIT: I AM CURRENTLY WORKING ON THIS. IT INVOLVES A MAD SCIENTIST, NINJAS, A GIANT ROBOT, AND A MACGUFFIN. IT WILL BE AWESOME.

For me, it isn't a lack of players, it's just I never seem to get the chance to sit down and write this stuff out. I'll try, and WHAM hit a wall. Bv
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 04:12:47 PM by Moondog »
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

Dom

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2011, 08:25:33 AM »
For some reason, I too was thinking about a Persona MaOCT game, that would be interesting indeed.

Robot Master

• "Wu Tang gets they cookie."
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2011, 10:02:20 AM »
I would run the following if I could make it happen(I have all of these books):

1. Eclipse Phase: This hasn't happened yet because my players don't tend to buy books and I'm shuddering at the idea of getting their heads into the trans-humanity setting by "explaining" it to them.

2. Battlestar Galactica: The system is like Serenity's so it's designed for interpersonal roleplay points to be inserted by the players, which I think would lend for an AMAZING rp campaign with the right minded players. You'd have to have the kind of players that are willing to fight via RP with eachother and get in eachothers' faces if it means creating good drama.

3. Robotech: I have some players that hate Palladium and some players that LOVE Palladium. Who wouldn't love a good, old fashioned Robotech story?

4. The Red Star: (( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Star )). Alternate reality WW2 style setting with sorcery and mechanical awesomeness.
Thanos: "I am going to sacrifice the Earth to gain the love of Death"
Me: (slowly raise eyebrow) "Destroy the Earth? That would be...illogical"
Vortex: "Yes...that...would be...highly...illogical."
Thanos: "Your Star Trek references bore me."

SageNytell

• We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2011, 03:17:49 PM »
A couple of campaigns that I actually am trying to bring to fruition, but have noooo idea when they'll even be feasible.

1. Call of Cthulhu: Into the Ashes: This would be a mix of Stephen King's The Stand along with some aesthetics taken from the recent remake of The Crazies. Characters would be residents of a small town in Nowhere, USA, in either the present or the very recent past (during the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq). Things would start off slowly, the only weird thing being some strange (but quite literally harmless at the start) church with some very nice but very obviously weird people. One day during some sort of holiday/festival/block party a drifter stumbles into town, causes a disturbance, and begins violent behavior that will not stop until the figure is dead - imprisonment will only result in his suicide. A day later, thousands of birds, all of different species, converge on the spot where the madman died, forming strange geometric patterns in their landing. If disturbed the birds will disperse and then gather once again moments later, if they are attacked the birds will respond in kind. They stay this way for hours, then, simultaneously, they all die, remaining in their strange shapes. Over the next few days similar attacks occur, sometimes from drifters, sometimes from previously normal members of town. On the news, there are reports of strange attacks from armies of spiders in South America, groups of people freezing to death in places where death due to the elements is impossible in Canada, strange stories of apparent vampirism in the foothills of Asia, and strange stories of abominations beneath the waves of the Pacific Ocean. The players are contacted by a member of the Army who grew up in the town, along with his superiors - they will arrive to begin the evacuation in seven days, and the characters need to maintain order until that time.
The last bit of news that is received before the power and communications go out for the last time is that researchers in astronomical labs around the world have simultaneously issued the same, puzzling bit of information...
"The stars are right."

2. Dungeons and Dragons 4E: To Slay the Beast: Standard dragonslaying fare. The players are not movers and shakers of the world, but they are at least considered heroes (or antiheroes) and have been called to the capital city of a besieged kingdom with a request - that they infiltrate the lair of the dragon who plans the destruction of the kingdom, and attempt to sever the head that directs the vast armies swayed against them. With the exception of the start and breaking back out through the siege, the entire adventure would be one big dungeon crawl, which is something that everyone in my group has expressed an interest in, but that we've never actually done. The entire complex would be somewhat living, for example the characters cannot possibly hope to destroy every foe, because more will simply come to take their places - instead they have to think tactically and make sound decisions in their hunt to slay the dragon. Because I would be playing with a smaller subset of the main gaming group instead of fuck's-sakes-nine people, I would be looking at the possibility of the players having minions or followers, customized to their background or skillset. The minions could be used in battle, and there would be some (unreliable) mechanism for healing at least some of them, or the players could choose to not directly employ them and instead benefit from, say, an additional daily power, or some sort of static benefit. This could present some interesting decisions between using limited resources (which there really isn't enough of in 4E, it keeps the tension less present, and I dislike that) or gaining a lesser benefit through conservation.

3. Pathfinder: Higher Ground: The world has been through a trying age - the low places of the world have been overrun with the dead, and civilization has retreated to the high places, mountains, and plateaus. Despite this lack of real estate, the world has pressed on, and much has been reclaimed of what was once known. Over time, the remaining governments have slowly begun to rediscover the world below, and have just barely begun to recolonize the low places. At the start, magic is present, but it is weak, unreliable, and prone to abrupt changes in potency. The players begin in a prologue, the night before the world... changes; their characters are just starting out in the world and have little to show but the most basic combat skills and a slight affiliation to one of the world's factions. After an initial short adventure/dungeon crawl, they are distant witness to an event that seems inconsequential but will have far-reaching effects on their entire world. The game would resume, five years later, as the characters are brought back together for the beginning of the true campaign - far more experienced than on their first adventure, but with a shared past that will hopefully add some fun roleplaying elements to the game. Their first adventure will be to explore the fog-choked and dead-infested streets of the town where their adventure first began, five years before. The gimmick here would be that the entire place is a dungeon, set out on a single piece of Gaming Paper, making the trek through the overrun village a test of endurance and will. From there, the players have to determine how bad this onslaught of the dead upon the remnants of the living has become, and what sort of consequences it will have.

God damn I am long-winded.  :P

Salkovich

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • Concupiscent Piranha of the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2011, 03:34:29 PM »
That Call of Cthulhu set-up sounds in-fucking-credible.
"It's heresy. Burn the heretics." - Ross Payton NEVAR FORGET
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2011, 05:32:51 PM »
Might I suggest Iron Heroes for the Higher Grounds campaign? If magic is weak - make the PCs martial badasses

SageNytell

• We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2011, 06:19:40 PM »
Magic is weak at the beginning due to... reasons. Essentially, the world really has not 'regrown' per se because of the lack of magic, and since the Fall the gods have been more or less silent. Technological progression has continued since the Fall, but the sheer requirements of survival mean that not a lot has been done.
At the conclusion of the intro adventure, the characters will bear a very distant witness to... an event. I hate to be vague, but even the players shouldn't know that this is definitely the cause, and while they don't read the forums now I don't know they won't in the future. After this event, the players will meet up in-game 5 years later. Magic, while not completely understood, is back, in strength. This has led certain factions (not-Tesla) to combine magical and technological advances and allow things that were not possible before.
The campaign will play a lot with horror tropes, especially the exhaustion and lack of resources that make an apocalypse game fun. They'll have some power, certainly, but there'll be a list of banned spells that are not setting-appropriate.

I'd love to check out Iron Heroes at some point, though... it sounds pretty damn cool. :D

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2011, 06:51:47 PM »
IRON HEROES IS GOOD FOR ANY TYPE OF CAMPAIGN

CONAN STYLE EPIC WITH SORCERY AND ALSO SWORDS? YES

SPACE OPERA WITH ROBOTS AND LASER SWORDS? YES

FILM NOIR MYSTERY WITH REVOLVER SWORDS? YES

19TH CENTURY PRUSSIAN AGRICULTURE SIMULATION WITH TRACTOR SWORDS? YES

WESTERN SAGA OF COWBOYS FIGHTING EACH OTHER WITH LASSO SWORDS? YES

AS YOU CAN SEE IRON HEROES IS A VERSATILE SYSTEM CAPABLE OF HANDLING ANY TYPE OF GAME

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2011, 06:59:11 PM »
But can it tell you why kids love the sweet taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2011, 07:02:59 PM »
THE CRUNCH IS ALSO SWORDS

crash2455

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2011, 07:06:15 PM »
It does not have enough mechanics for women wrestling in Jello.  I am not sold on the system.