Author Topic: Future game for Raillery  (Read 55734 times)

Snake-Eyes

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Illusive Comics & Games
Future game for Raillery
« on: March 26, 2013, 09:54:23 PM »
Hey Ross I found a game that for the PC that would be fun watching you (or anyone else) play.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/26/is-outlast-the-scariest-game-ever
You've been sucked out of the airlock into the black. Roll all the dice on the table for damage.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Future game for Raillery
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 01:34:32 AM »
Hey Ross I found a game that for the PC that would be fun watching you (or anyone else) play.

I will do a LP of that as soon as it comes out

Question on LPs - what do you guys prefer?

1. Highly edited videos that only show the highlights of a game - one for each level

2. LPs that show most of a game?

3. Highlights/review of the entire game - i.e. i go through an entire game and review it in detail.

I'm going to do a test LP of an entire game - RE6. Right now, I'm doing 2 - only cutting out dying/retrying at certain fights so it's not repetitive. I'm encoding Chris chapter 1 of the game, which is about an hour long.

1 and 2 - a video per chapter, would take more or less the same amount of time to do (1 takes a bit longer to edit) - 3 would obviously take the longest since I would have to beat the game and then replay it to get the footage I wanted for the review.

With option 1, I could do a video every 2-5 days.

Option 2 - a video every few days.

Option 3 - a video per month probably.

I've just about solved the 360 recording with game chat issue (which was a HUGE FUCKING HASSLE ugh) so we will pick up the Caleb and I co-op DS3 campaign shortly.

Wooberman

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 08:05:28 AM »

I will do a LP of that as soon as it comes out

Question on LPs - what do you guys prefer?

1. Highly edited videos that only show the highlights of a game - one for each level

2. LPs that show most of a game?

3. Highlights/review of the entire game - i.e. i go through an entire game and review it in detail.

I'm going to do a test LP of an entire game - RE6. Right now, I'm doing 2 - only cutting out dying/retrying at certain fights so it's not repetitive. I'm encoding Chris chapter 1 of the game, which is about an hour long.

1 and 2 - a video per chapter, would take more or less the same amount of time to do (1 takes a bit longer to edit) - 3 would obviously take the longest since I would have to beat the game and then replay it to get the footage I wanted for the review.

With option 1, I could do a video every 2-5 days.

Option 2 - a video every few days.

Option 3 - a video per month probably.

I've just about solved the 360 recording with game chat issue (which was a HUGE FUCKING HASSLE ugh) so we will pick up the Caleb and I co-op DS3 campaign shortly.

I've been following your uploads on YouTube and I'm enjoying the results. It might be preferrable to follow a similar method to GameGrumps where they release videos daily but have the episodes cut up into 10-15 minute chunks of consistant gameplay (Fast forwarding if they are stuck on a particular part or have to repeat something ad-nauseum). Admittedly they are two guys conversing about random shit throughout the entire thing but its still entertaining.

Still you're doing a good job and the RE6 vid you posted had me clutching my sides so well done.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 11:24:59 AM »
Option One seems like the best option to ensure we get the best parts of whatever jokes, chatter, and humor come out of the event with as little drag time between laughes.

I recommend people checking "Two Best Friends Play" on YouTube, through machinima and their "theSwitcher" user name to get an idea of the above options. They play hours of a game but cut their videos down to eight to ten minutes for the "Two Best Friends Play" program. They also post long playthroughs on their personal account. You can see the benefit and drawbacks of both approaches.

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 03:51:56 PM »
Any followup on Dead Space 2 with you and Caleb?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 04:53:55 PM »

there will be - recording game chat from an xbox 360 is a huge fucking technical hurdle for some stupid reason and I had to get some new cables. We'll try it out tonight.

QuickreleasePersonalitY

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • if you see your self on the road, kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 05:09:08 PM »

there will be - recording game chat from an xbox 360 is a huge fucking technical hurdle for some stupid reason and I had to get some new cables. We'll try it out tonight.

remember you can't use too much glycerine...:3
pretentious i am
lest pretentious i become

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 05:18:36 PM »
I think I prefer options 2 and 3.

Like a Let's Play with an episodic bend, then at the end a review episode done with clips from the episodes and maybe some bonus edited content. If you do Co-Op then I'd like to see the review episode be a sit down discussion between the two players.

I think this would be the richest content personally.

This dual content could be especially useful for shorter games where you just play indie games that don't take very long or stuff like Beat Hazard which is generally the same thing over and over. That way you can just take one video to show the game in action then a short review.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Jacko

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Hrrrrrmmmmmm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 07:18:59 PM »
Option 3 could be reserved for shorter games, though I understand how much work it'd be.  I watched a great Let's Play of Hotline Miami from Sips, one of the Yogscast crew (found here), and cutting his many, many deaths would've made it less entertaining.

SageNytell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 08:09:17 PM »
Call me spoiled, I'm a big fan of SA LPs where the focus is on showing off as much of the game as possible. Not a big fan of heavily edited videos except for effect and for problems with recording.

Basically I want to see you and Caleb do what RChimpCola and Sinatrapod did here:
Anybody else here into LPs? Here's a good one of RE5 from SA, mentioned I would link this on the Facebook group for a dude looking for Black Hawk Down-style shenanigans versus a bunch of cultists.

http://www.grimfiend.com/lp/vlp/ is the archive it's stored on, Bro-Op Thread: Resident Evil 5 Video 1, TECHNICAL ISSUE BONANZA is where the videos start. They're out of order on the archive, start with Episode 1, skip down to Episode 2: Operation 12 packs a day and watch from there to Doomtorch, then go from Get That Goat until END OF THE ROAD. I got through some fun menial tasks last weekend watching these.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 11:39:29 PM »
Unedited mostly:
[youtube]
<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>
[/youtube]

edited more:

thoughts?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 02:17:13 AM »

Guess who finally figured out how to record xbox 360 game footage AND game chat AND got it to sync up right?

Recorded about 4 hours of gameplay tonight. Encoding the first hour in 5 parts right now and will upload them tomorrow.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 06:25:47 PM »
part 1 of the first co-op session with Caleb

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 06:37:04 PM »
Alas, I must wait to view these wonders. I will elaborate on my amazement later.

SageNytell

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 11:48:29 PM »
 :-[ It didn't start from the beginning of the game. Now I have to go buy the game and play the first part myself to get context. Oh bother.

edit: First world problems
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 12:04:20 AM by SageNytell »