Author Topic: Trail of Cthulhu  (Read 27467 times)

Phelanar

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Stop nuzzling the instrument of my vengeance
    • View Profile
Trail of Cthulhu
« on: May 29, 2009, 11:40:14 PM »
So I've been looking at Trail of Cthulhu the last few days and I'm really digging it. I like the rules and the art is really awesome. I know there are a lot of CoC people here, so I kind of wondered how people thought it stacked up or if it's apples and oranges with CoC.
A great ninja move is like great jazz. Nobody is aware of it and anyone who saw it live is now dead.

doctorscraps

• View Profile
Re: Trail of Cthulhu
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 01:07:31 PM »
I personally play Trail of Cthulhu. If I understand right, CoC works on a percentile system, and my group is really iffy on that.
When the GM can't roll higher than a ten on the D20, he see's his plot points flash before his eyes.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 01:45:47 PM »
I personally play Trail of Cthulhu. If I understand right, CoC works on a percentile system, and my group is really iffy on that.

that's a weird thing to get hung up on.

JonHook

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 03:00:03 PM »
Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu is a percentile dice system. I love it. It feels very natural to me. I have a 60% chance to climb that rocky wall. Or, normally I have a 60% chance to climb that wall, but due to darkness and the heavy rain from the thunderstorm, my chance has been reduced to 30%.

I am very interested to try the Gumshoe system used in Trail of Cthulhu. I too want to get that game.
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

Phelanar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 04:22:43 PM »

Yeah. I may not leap for joy with percentile systems, but at least they have the advantage of being straightforward and easy to understand.
A great ninja move is like great jazz. Nobody is aware of it and anyone who saw it live is now dead.

doctorscraps

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 04:37:30 PM »
THey think it's more complicated than it is, or they just don't want to do basic math~~But if they don't wanna play I can't run it.
When the GM can't roll higher than a ten on the D20, he see's his plot points flash before his eyes.

JonHook

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 05:41:07 PM »
THey think it's more complicated than it is, or they just don't want to do basic math~~But if they don't wanna play I can't run it.

If you had any interest in running a ToC game via pbp, I would be first to sign-up.
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

Phelanar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 06:10:23 PM »

If you had any interest in running a ToC game via pbp, I would be first to sign-up.

I'd fight you to be first to sign up. Games like CoC and ToC are much better suited to pbp than more action oriented ones. And I've been seriously craving some Mythos goodness.

doctorscraps

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 08:26:30 PM »
I might see about setting that up~~

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 01:32:58 PM »
Basic math is a big hang up for my players too. I've noticed that even the players I know to be smart kind of turn their brains of during play. Not just the choices they make (gamer logic and all) but their actually thinking processes seem to be less sharp on things like addition and subtraction.

I love all gaming systems. I like the feeling of stacking more and more points to ridiculus levels with d20, I like knowing my pure odds in percentile systems, I like the thrill of rolling lower than the target score without any modifers to the number on the dice themselves, and I love forming massive dice pools with d10s and d6s or riding the edge with just one or two dice.

Anyway, back on point, I like the Gumshoe system but it, like so many other games, is something new and different, and that makes my players start reaching for their torches and pitch forks.

arthwollipot

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 07:58:23 AM »

Yeah. I may not leap for joy with percentile systems, but at least they have the advantage of being straightforward and easy to understand.
Rolemaster is a percentile system...  ::)
This cloaking device is heavily destroyed.

Phelanar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 10:16:39 PM »
I mean that the basic percentile mechanic is easy to understand, not necessarily the rules surrounding it. If you have a skill at 60, it's extremely intuitive (for most people) to turn that into thinking "I have a 60% chance at success".

Phineas_Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 02:44:37 PM »
I think my original aversion to the Gumshoe system (or, should I say, GUMSHOE system), was that I thought that having only one dice (and a six-sided dice at that!) would be too simple. And, granted, I haven't run it yet, but I actually think that it's great. I believe the simplicity really just kind of facilitates the storytelling.

But, y'know, you'll probably get very similar experiences with both systems in terms of story. Not to mention how easy it is to convert one to the other. This post doesn't really have a point, just that both are probably enjoyable and the systems work well to facilitate storytelling.

Phineas_Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 11:33:32 AM »
Someone I played with didn't want to play Call of Cthulhu 'cause you got crazier as you progressed. But, man, isn't that the fun of it all?

JonHook

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 12:59:46 PM »
Someone I played with didn't want to play Call of Cthulhu 'cause you got crazier as you progressed. But, man, isn't that the fun of it all?

Abso-frigin'-lutely