Author Topic: New world campaign  (Read 243247 times)

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
Re: New world campain
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 10:19:35 PM »
woot. great hat!

ArtfulShrapnel

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 10:36:34 PM »
Today's entry in the Countdown to Goblin Hulk is Axgore the Slave Trader.

http://artfulshrapnel.blogspot.com/2009/09/hulk-day-part-2-axgore-slave-trader.html

I'll be following with one of these every day until the Hulk is released, possibly including some of the PCs from the podcast if they get me descriptions of their characters. :)

VilaWolf

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 01:47:06 AM »
I've noticed a couple things...you can call em nitpicks if you want, I like to think of them cool little things. Over here on the west coast Native Animals are given different traits.  Cody's gonna laugh at this I'm sure, but I grew up with stories that the Raven was the trickster. Always playing mind games with people and never exactly honest with anyone. But even if her tricks seem mean-spirited there was always a point to be made or lesson learned. I think it's great that to someone familiar with the West-Coast Tribes Cody's playing exactly how a follower or the Raven would. As for Coyote knowing something that the other gods have forgotten, that makes sense, seeing how Coyote is the keeper of knowledge and is the Great Teacher.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 11:18:13 PM »
I've noticed a couple things...you can call em nitpicks if you want, I like to think of them cool little things. Over here on the west coast Native Animals are given different traits.  Cody's gonna laugh at this I'm sure, but I grew up with stories that the Raven was the trickster. Always playing mind games with people and never exactly honest with anyone. But even if her tricks seem mean-spirited there was always a point to be made or lesson learned. I think it's great that to someone familiar with the West-Coast Tribes Cody's playing exactly how a follower or the Raven would. As for Coyote knowing something that the other gods have forgotten, that makes sense, seeing how Coyote is the keeper of knowledge and is the Great Teacher.

That is awesome. I always associated Coyote as the trickster, not Raven. But Cody has performed admirably in that regard.

BTW, this is how Coyote looks in the New World http://gunnerkrigg.wikia.com/wiki/Coyote

And this is how Coyoyte thinks http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=504

VilaWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 01:34:39 AM »
I do not recognize that design at all... Damn I wish I could give you source links. I think the guy I heard it from was from the Atuami tribe but I was like 9 or 10 at the time and he was one of my older brothers buddies. I heard that Coyote was the Great Teacher who taught humans to survive, thrive and live in harmony with the land. The closest I can find is a single line "The Navajo, however, see the coyote figure as responsible for the emergence of mankind." from http://nativeamericanfirstnationshistory.suite101.com/article.cfm/tricksters and http://members.cox.net/academia/coyote.html does have a decent story of how Coyote brought fire to the world.

My favorite story about the Raven is how she got her all black color... she became fascinated by her own shadow and pecked it until it came alive and ate her.

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 10:17:46 AM »
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 11:44:50 AM »
Native American stories are alot like other widely spread mythologies: they got mixed up.

Greek legends tended to swap out whatever god a particular polis liked for the heroes and didn't for the villains. The ones we've got are largerly the preferred recordings of Athens since they more or less won the "no we're the greeks award" by taking control of other cities.

Stories get spread around and changed in different ways. And animals that exist in different places get different traits linked to them. Coyotes are spread across the US so tribes on both coasts and in the middle have legends involving Coyote. He's a trickster and a wise man and father of creation depending on who you ask. Same with raven, beaver (who kicked fucking ass by carrying the sun around in the story I remember), sparrow, and a bunch of others.

I like the design of Coyote (I read Gunnerkigg so I picked that up during the AP) because it's similar to the artwork I'm used to seeing from the tribes in my area, Washington State.

Altering the subject for a moment to add something I liked, I really like the attitude and personality of the water spirit. The idea of it reflecting more of the nature of the sea and having a cruel streak is something I don't remembering seeing anywhere else.

ArtfulShrapnel

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 01:50:52 AM »
I love it!

Why thank you! :)

I just posted today's installment. Voshyyk, Dragonborn Fighter. This is one of the PCs from the Actual Play of the New World campaign setting, and was/is created by Tom Church.

You can see it here or at
http://artfulshrapnel.blogspot.com/2009/09/voshyyk-dragonborn-fighter.html
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 01:55:10 AM by ArtfulShrapnel »

Tom Church

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2009, 09:54:51 AM »
That is a huge slab of medium rare badassery drizzeled with awesome sauce!

Well done, sir!
"The upper class keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes.  The middle class pays all of the taxes and does all of the work.  The poor are there just to scare the shit out of the middle class.  Keep them showing up at those 'jobs'."  George Carlin

beej

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2009, 04:23:36 PM »
I love the New World podcasts.   I've started running a New World game for my friends (my first attempt at a long term game since a disasterous Iron Kingdoms atempt....you guys should run an Iron Kingdoms game I would pay a ransom for that.

Anyway yeah, my group loves the Grippili, as a source of cannon fodder and they've talked the king into letting them run a smuggler's den on the island to run contraband into and out of the colony.   The group is attempting to form a quasi sydincate/mafia.  They're running a protection racket in opposition to the Thieves Guild, they've made a deal with the Dark Ravens to supply them bodies of the thieves/rivals the group kills for info and supplies when they're adventuring in their territory and they're planning on taking over the sale of residium by any means necessary.

I can't wait for more New World APs now that there's going to be a second feed.  I do have a question though, will the new feed be in Itunes as well?  If its not, how do you download the podcasts via your website and get them onto an itouch?
"Old R'lyeh Brewery. Enjoy a cold one on the Great Old One!"

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2009, 04:52:27 PM »
I love the New World podcasts.   I've started running a New World game for my friends (my first attempt at a long term game since a disasterous Iron Kingdoms atempt....you guys should run an Iron Kingdoms game I would pay a ransom for that.

Anyway yeah, my group loves the Grippili, as a source of cannon fodder and they've talked the king into letting them run a smuggler's den on the island to run contraband into and out of the colony.   The group is attempting to form a quasi sydincate/mafia.  They're running a protection racket in opposition to the Thieves Guild, they've made a deal with the Dark Ravens to supply them bodies of the thieves/rivals the group kills for info and supplies when they're adventuring in their territory and they're planning on taking over the sale of residium by any means necessary.

I can't wait for more New World APs now that there's going to be a second feed.  I do have a question though, will the new feed be in Itunes as well?  If its not, how do you download the podcasts via your website and get them onto an itouch?

second feed will be a proper podcast, submitted to Itunes and all that jazz. I'll set it up as a separate website and RSS feed.

VilaWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2009, 07:48:02 PM »
I love it!

Why thank you! :)

I just posted today's installment. Voshyyk, Dragonborn Fighter. This is one of the PCs from the Actual Play of the New World campaign setting, and was/is created by Tom Church.

You can see it here or at
http://artfulshrapnel.blogspot.com/2009/09/voshyyk-dragonborn-fighter.html

that is cool!

ArtfulShrapnel

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2009, 02:11:40 AM »
That is a huge slab of medium rare badassery drizzeled with awesome sauce!

Well done, sir!

Thanks! I'm glad you like the way he came out, I certainly had a blast drawing him. (Yesterday I learned that dragonborn faces are HARD to draw in perspective)

Today's installment in the Countdown to Goblin Hulk is this image of Pontifex, the lich. http://artfulshrapnel.blogspot.com/2009/09/hulk-day-part-4-pontifex.html

You might think I'm having my dessert first and ruining the buildup by doing Pontifex so early, but I've saved the biggest, scariest NPC monstrosity for the final installment on the 26th. I'll probably even break my hour-long limit rule for that one. So exciting.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 02:16:28 AM by ArtfulShrapnel »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2009, 02:29:50 AM »
Pontifex is incredibly awesome.

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2009, 06:21:43 PM »
Yeah Pontifex is understatedly Badass, like Tom. Nice work!
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.