Author Topic: Anecdote Megathread  (Read 346769 times)

crash2455

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
Re: Anecdote Megathread
« Reply #135 on: August 07, 2010, 03:10:15 AM »
Yeah, I've only fought an Ooze once (a black pudding, I think).  I think that was the first time I found a major use for Freedom of Movement (instantly win grapple checks to escape).  We also discovered that it had a weakness to sunlight, so we ended up destroying it with Scorching Ray (and some gauntlets of Scorching Ray, hidden in a locked chest in that very room).

edit:  Sorry about the wall of text.

You were not meant to play a rogue

This is more a story about crappy rolls over anything else.  I'm playing in a 3.5 campaign where we're seeking out pages to some ancient tome of whatever.  It's not important to the story other than it being our plot hook.  Last week, after beating the final encounter (which was 2 spiked devils and 6 bearded devils I think), we found the chest containing one of the aforementioned pages on the ceiling of cave.  Upon opening, it releases Wail of the Banshee and so half the party has to make Fortitude saves or die.  I (a Monk / Cleric) make the save, as does the rogue, but the barbarian of all people managed to roll a 2, getting just under the necessary saving throw, causing him to die instantly.  Reiterating:  The half-orc barbarian managed to be the only person to fail a Fortitude save.

After a bit of discussion regarding Raise Dead and Resurrection (and how we didn't have any 5000, 10000, or 25000 gp diamonds on hand), we decided to bury him and have him roll up a new character.  The GM actually had some plans and gave him a character that was going to be an NPC (which turned out to also be a rogue).  We let him play this character because the first character he had ever played had been a rogue, so we figured he'd be able to do it.  We also sort of ignored that our party makeup was now 2 Rogues, a Cleric, a Sorcerer, and a Druid, meaning that we didn't have any sort of real front line, and that the GM mainly throws us into dungeon crawls.

So this week, we get down to our next adventure and hey, sure enough, it's a dungeon crawl.  But of course, with two rogues, it shouldn't be a problem, right?  Well, the part that we didn't know is that the second rogue was rolled up to be a faceman, so he had max diplomacy instead of search, so trapfinding turned into a major problem for him.  After the longest time ever to get through two hallways, the group's taking the longest time ever to do something, so I decide to step into the room and get hit by someone (and the GM was surprised by my 25 flatfooted AC, despite my heavy armor proficiency).  Okay, whatever.  Oh, he does sneak attack damage, too?  Sure, that's cool.  Make a grapple check?  Alright, yep, I failed that.  Tentacles latch onto my head?  Oh, son of a bitch! 

Yep, Mindflayer Rogue.  Anyway, 4 or 5 combat rounds later, after discovering that the Mindflayer has like SR 34, we as the casters start running through spells that don't get spell resistance.  The druid goes to the old druid fallback:  Fire Seeds.  Unfortunately, the Mindflayer was grappling with our faceman rogue (because the rogue decided to charge the Mindflayer for whatever reason), but the druid decided to throw out one 16d6 acorn grenade, dealing 52 damage to everyone within 10'.  Our GM likes to use the Massive Damage check rules, so everyone had to make a fortitude save DC 15 or die instantly.  Mindflayer makes his no problem, faceman needs to roll an 8. . . and rolls a 6.  Well, there's one more down.  We manage to take down the Mindflayer (whose Mind Blast turned out to be completely ineffectual against 3 casters), and then start debating over what to do with our faceman.  After a small bit of discussion, the sorcerer teleports him to Waterdeep and gets him indebted to a cleric that can cast True Resurrection.  That part is madness, but whatever, it's better than having the guy sit out for the rest of the night.

As we continue further through the dungeon, team rogue scouts ahead, though I guess one of them missed a search check or something because faceman gets hit by a set of walls that smash together, dealing something like 62 damage.  Alright, make a massive damage check (Fort Save DC 15). . . 12.  Fortunately, since he had just died in the last encounter, the GM just kinda retconned the check (though he still took the 62 damage).

We come to our final encounter of the night.  The group split up so me and team rogue were taking on a Frost Giant, and the rest of the party were taking on a Troll Half-Dragon thing (which is somewhere on the Wizards website, apparently).  When the GM can't decide who to hit, he just takes a d6 roll and assigns people numbers.  I think the rogue got hit every round by the Frost Giant, though he never decided to ask for any healing even though there was a Cleric behind him.  Team rogue and I eventually take down the Frost Giant and head to fight the Troll Hybrid madness, which at this point had been hit by a prismatic spray and was driven permanently insane.  On the round in which faceman showed up and sneak attacked the troll, it hit him, dealing enough damage in one hit to knock him to -10.  I think the next round it rolled that it had to flee at full speed from the caster, so it took off out of the dungeon and out of sight.

tl;dr pick up here

So yeah.  In 2 sessions, this player managed to get killed 4 times.  I think that's the kind of PC turnover that CoC has wet dreams about.  At the end of the session, we told him he should stick to Barbarians.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 03:14:29 AM by crash2455 »

FrodoLlama

« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2010, 01:45:07 PM »
THE FOLLOWING CONTAINS PHRASES NOT ALLOWED AMONGST THE PROLES. FOR YOUR COMFORT AND SAFETY, FRIEND COMPUTER HAS REPLACED THESE PHRASES. ALL HAIL FRIEND COMPUTER!
I finally managed to deal with one of my bad players by playing Paranoia Troubleshooters with him.
Immediately introduced to the UTOPIAN WORLD THAT IS THE DOMAIN OF YOUR FRIEND THE COMPUTER, his first thoughts were to ENGAGE IN USELESS AND UNPRODUCTIVE ACTIVITIES IN A FEEBLE ATTEMPT TO DESTROY YOUR FRIEND THE COMPUTER because he was COMMIE MUTANT SCUM. I informed him that he LIVED IN THE UTOPIA OF THE COMPUTER and couldn't do those things, so he went on a mission and got pizza. Or, at least, burnt crust with sauce. When A LOYAL OFFICER played by A GOOD CITIZEN, who did pretty well, joined THE COMMIE MUTANT TRAITOR- THE TRAITOR wanted to TRICK HIM INTO JOINING THE COMMIE MUTANT TRAITORS and to get him to OVERTHROW FRIEND COMPUTER. Unfortunately, he did this in immediate earshot and eyesight of the Computer, which caused him to be killed. His clone attempted to kill itself before it exited its RESPECTIVE CONTAINMENT AREA. When I informed him that he could not, he stormed off.

Zeriken

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 19, 2010, 10:19:44 PM »
Alright, one of my favorite stories is about to be told. It holds several common tendencies that gamers tend to have. Namely: Meta-gaming and Fragile Player.

Back when I was living in northern Illinois (usa, of course) I frequented a game shop every Monday to play the good old D&D 3.5. One of the other usuals, a man whom we shall call Darwin, liked to make rather overpowered characters. Heck, we all munchkined in those games.

He was probably the third or fourth best at munchkining, though (me being one of the last, lol). Regardless, this player had the habit of cheating. He would call out false die rolls and would 'metagame'. His redeeming feature was his glass-jaw. No matter how strong his characters were, they found themselves dead quite frequently.

Now that this man's background has been explained, allow me to proceed with the story. We were dungeon crawling through an undead lair as a bunch of level 6s. His character had died earlier that day (fell into the ocean at the docks w/ heavy armor, failed swim checks) so now he played some sort of Swashbuckler, if I recall properly, with oriental armor that brought his AC up to something along the lines of 23. Anyways, we are exploring and I, a warmage, decide to enter a room by myself (we split up a bit in order to cover more ground). In this room, I find a couple of fairly large treasure chests, as the DM put it.

Spoken as almost a side-note, the DM tells me that there is a Undead Dragon standing right in front of the treasures.

Our metagaming Darwin does not hear this side-note and, upon me leaving the Undead Dragon (what I assumed to be way out of our league) alone, Darwin asks my character "So. What did you find in there?"

To which I, knowing he was OOC listening to almost everything and wanting to punish him for it, say "Why, nothing that we need to worry about. There is nothing in that room."

To which Darwin turns to the DM and says "I don't believe him. I walk into the room and go up to the treasure."

The DM smiles, rolls a few die, and says "Surprise round, the Undead Dragon deals 24 damage to you."

Darwin looks back to me, relatively displeased as you could imagine. Utilizing our magics (the cleric and myself), as well as the small doorway, we managed to kill the thing. But not before Darwin died, bless his meat-shield body. I always wondered why the dragon seemed to die rather quickly after Darwin did (maybe the DM had the same idea I did in mind? Lol.)

Darwin had to re-roll a third character. This character, for no reason in particular, hated my character vehemently.

I lol about it to this day.
Magadheera - Must find sub of this movie.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #138 on: August 23, 2010, 05:56:06 PM »
Got to tear a vampire to sheads with a dog/alligator/stone monster the other day. World of Darkness, Vampire: The Requiem, long running game at this point and the PC I'm about to talk about is, shall we say, difficult. She latches onto things and doesn't tend to be very flexable when interacting with the uncertain rules of the world. She also doesn't "get" vampires in Requiem and has been digging herself deeper and deeper into trouble since session one.

The PC is a member of the pagan magical group in the game. Awhile ago a stone from her magic circle vanished and her trees started to look unhealthy. She assumed the two things where connected (they were) and that the breaking of the circle had effected the trees (it had not). Shortly after she encounters a new customer in her bar and tried to press him for information of some sort. The man didn't like being asked questions when he just wanted to drink so he left.

Eventually, after some more pressing matters, she manages to track the guy to his apartment because she's sure there's something fishy about him (there is). She goes to his apartment and demands to talk to him. He says no so she kicks his door in and he starts throwing his furnature at her. After a tussel, during which he rips a power cord so that the wires are exposed and he throws lightning from his finger tips, she thinks twice about things and calls the vampire 'police'.

After looking around the apartment later, the police return with no significant information and her stolen rock, now broken into pieces, in a big bag. It's important to her so she has it put back together. Few weeks later and its ready for return to her garden. Once she puts it into place she adds the last few bits of missing stone to the mass herself. Soon as she does it starts moving so she throws blood on it (I don't get it, it's a vampire druid thing I guess). The rock changes into a horrible creature with the body of a large, shaggy dog, the long snout and big teeth of an alligator, and six compound fly eyes. I found out later that she thought she'd created a minion by mistake. In reality it's a creature called a Pandoran and they eat Promethans, another World of Darkness "race".

Anyway, the ali-dog busts out of the garden so she uses a magic spell to see through its senses and gets to watch a twenty minute race throug the city as the thing follows some scent its picked up. After the run it busts into an apartment building's basement and attacks a sleeping guy who the player recognises as Jim, the guy who's apartment she busted into. The ali-dog attacks him and starts eating him so she cuts the connection and then tries to summon the monster back to her.

At first nothing happens (because this isn't a minion she made by accident) but she keeps at it and I figured she did splash the blood on it and vampire blood is potent stuff so the Pandoran comes back, grown signifcantly larger with its lunch, and bursts through her gate.

It's at this point that I knew how this was going to end. Myself and every other player silently resolved to let her hang herself if that was what was going to happen. The other players said almost nothing as events unfolded, though they where unable to hid their sighs, groans, eye rolling, and exasperated gestures.

The monster comes storming into the garden and headbutts the vampire. She tries to bind it to her service by commanding it and it responds by biting her. I roll the dice infront of everybody, making sure they saw the size of the dice pool and that I removed her defense from the pool. At this point one of the other players (her husband in RL) suggests that perhaps the monster didn't work like she thinks it does. She declares that it does and she knows what she is doing. The monster uses its next turn to increase the size of its mouth and roar at the player, clearly demonstrating its aggressive intentions. The player assumes that since it didn't actively attack her this round it is now no threat and walks up to pat it on the head. And the new bigger jaws swallow her arm. Left arm inside of the creature's mouth she tries again to compell the creature to obey her. It chews on her a little. At this point I knew she's taken more lethal damage than she can take without dying but I don't want to force her into the grave if there's a glimmer of a chance she might think of a new plan.

She cuts her own hand on the monster's teeth, smearing her blood along it's insides and trying to craft some words of power to make the monster do her bidding. And the beast rips her arm off. Had to call it at this point, she'd taken about 13 lethal damage and she only really had 7 health. At no point did she make any effort to think of another plan, to defend herself, or even to heal any of the wounds the jagged teeth where inflicting on her.

Five minutes later her ghoul came outside and found what was left of her splashed across her garden, the gates smashed, and strange dog like paw prints in the blood.

I think I'll see if I can kill her new character in the same way, test if she actually learned anything from this.

Ryo

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 23, 2010, 08:08:09 PM »
You had me at "they eat Promethans". Does she think she is playing an oWoD gangrel?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #140 on: August 23, 2010, 11:41:19 PM »
You had me at "they eat Promethans". Does she think she is playing an oWoD gangrel?

She believes in alot of druidic stuff in real life so the Circle of the Crone stuff in V:tM appealed to her. Problem is that she doesn't quite get that most mystical stuff doesn't work, even in the game world. The ritual she thought she completed by accident requires her to have a ritual rating of 5 (she had 3), to know the ritual (which she didn't), to spill a massive amount of blood (she only used a little), and finally it creates a being inherently loyal to her (which this thing never appeared to be). I had no idea why she thought her plan was going to work, especially after the thing started to fucking eat her! At any point if she'd called for help or tried to run away she'd probably have survived.

Best part? Her will leaves everything to her servant (which apparently she thought she could just pick up with her new character) but one of the other vampire PCs kidnapped the guy before anybody else could do anything and turned him into a ghoul so now he gets everything because the sole heir is undying loyal to him so long as he keeps feeding the dude blood. Masterful vampiring.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 22, 2010, 02:33:10 PM »
    This is a tale that is near and dear to my heart. I have been putting off sharing it because I am not entirely sure I will do it the proper justice. Names will not be changed to protect anyone as my friends are not innocent.

Let me set the mood in my own overly wordy way. My friend Chad is where this starts, he read the Frostburn book for 3.5 DnD and decided that he wanted to run a game that was all about the bare minimum, scraping out a meager exsistance against nature, roughing it like he likes to do in real life. We sat patiently while he passionately told us the premise of the game, it didn't sound too bad but none of us were nearly as enthralled with the idea as he was. So there we were sitting around during character creation, discussions were had about what kinds of characters should be in the game. So I ventured something I had been wanting to try for some time, an Artificer. I showed him the book from Eberron that included the class that was going to allow me to work past my mediocre stats and still play a helpful role in the party. I mean making magic items would be completely helpful in this frozen tundra, valuable for trade and for keeping others alive. He reluctantly agreed, after one of the other players explained to him why it would balance fine.

My first act as soon as the game started was to make several scrolls of Endure Elements. These proved to be vital trade items in this low magic setting.  After I realized how hard it was for us to get food I went on to begin planning a Box of Replenishing food stores. I couldn't create it yet but when I got to that point I was going to make hunting and forging obsolete. Sadly we never got that far because after I exposed this plan to him he put us on the tracks with missions from our village leader, whom he played as a complete pompous ass. We went off on his quest, and while we were out we PC halo'd in our friend Wiley who was playing a Barbarian named Akkar.

This would prove to be fatal to the campaign. We finished off our quest and brought Wiley's character back with us to our cave, where he was put off by the leaders dickish attitude. He traded insults with the leader and at this point Chad (who was already in a bad mood from working that day) had enough and banished the Barbarian from our cave. Wiley started to walk out Tiger Skull Club in hand. He was almost out when he decided to talk a little more crap and managed to push the leader into casting some kind of spell on him. It was a touch spell so the leader walked over to cast his spell, he was a level 15 Wizard and Chad was angry so he decided to kill off the insolent one. This plan however backfired hard when Wiley decided to take his attack of opportunity. Natural 20 on the attack roll, max damage with a x4 Critical I think the damage calculations went something like 17x4=68 and the Wizard even with max hit points couldn't have possibly survived being as he was an elderly elf. We told Chad that he is the DM and there is always another option and the death didn't have to go down like that, but he was resolved in the ending of the game. He told Wiley that as soon as he did that the entire village killed him, despite all of our protests that we would talk them down long enough for him to escape. He denied anyone any opportunity to do anything and left.

Chad went home pretty pissed off. We all thought it was pretty sweet that Wiley had managed to kill the character and took it as a sign that the game wasn't meant to continue. So to this day there are two endings to that game, the one where he kills Akkar off and we all cease to exist, and the one where we save him and go on epic adventures.(We came up with this on our own because we were upset that he hadn't given us a chance to act.) It is still a sore spot so we don't talk about it when Chad is around, but it is a perfect example of how the dice can turn against you at an incredibly pivotal moment.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 07:39:36 PM by Flawless P »
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #142 on: September 22, 2010, 06:42:36 PM »
Chad was a bad DM because he didn't understand basic rules. Spellcasters can make a Concentration skill check to avoid taking AoO from adjacent enemies. 

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 22, 2010, 06:58:24 PM »
Chad was a bad DM because he didn't understand basic rules. Spellcasters can make a Concentration skill check to avoid taking AoO from adjacent enemies. 
He knew the rule, or so he claimed afterwards. He said he was just too pissed off to think of it.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #144 on: September 22, 2010, 11:26:36 PM »
He knew the rule, or so he claimed afterwards. He said he was just too pissed off to think of it.

then he is a bad GM for getting angry so easily.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 23, 2010, 11:56:16 AM »

then he is a bad GM for getting angry so easily.

That's true. A fact that he only recently admitted too. After the game was over he tried to justify the game ending on the principle that "I'm not a good enough DM to run that game I was too ambitious and you guys weren't good enough role-players to handle the scenario." In essence stating that his own idea was so GOOD that not only could he not run it properly but we couldn't possibly have played it up to his standards.

This was about a year ago, when he was thouroughly convinced that he was the best gamer of all of us. About 2 months ago he admitted that he is probably the weakest role-player of all.

He has more or less given up on running games, he gets the spark every once in a while, and we all either shoot him down on the spot, or give it a one shot to see if its any good. Unfortunatly his stories suffer from being overly rail roaded.

I actually paraphrased somthing RPPR taught me one day, I told him "RPG's are about collaboration, your not the only one writing this story, our input should be just as valid." He looked like he wanted to disagree but I think I got through to him.

Zeriken

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2010, 02:33:31 PM »
I just want to know; what level was he? The exp for getting that kill would be awesome (if he would let them gain that amount. Through WotC DMG, you can't level more than 1 time per session. But that was epic.). What luck XD. Were I the DM, I would have missed that concentration check thing too, and would have just said 'Lolwut', before continuing the campaign.

The thing a DM needs to keep in mind is that their NPCs are not their character (even though they made them and RP them). He basically just leveled out the GM Hammer and flattened the party for revenge XD. A lot of starting DMs don't want to see their NPCs lose. They are too used to being the Player.

Magadheera - Must find sub of this movie.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2010, 04:56:37 PM »
I just want to know; what level was he? The exp for getting that kill would be awesome (if he would let them gain that amount. Through WotC DMG, you can't level more than 1 time per session. But that was epic.). What luck XD. Were I the DM, I would have missed that concentration check thing too, and would have just said 'Lolwut', before continuing the campaign.

The thing a DM needs to keep in mind is that their NPCs are not their character (even though they made them and RP them). He basically just leveled out the GM Hammer and flattened the party for revenge XD. A lot of starting DMs don't want to see their NPCs lose. They are too used to being the Player.

It's true and I think thats how he was looking at it. We all started at level 1

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 08, 2010, 05:51:49 PM »
We recently started up a sequal campagin to the first campaign we ever had.
It is set in the Oriental Adventures Campaign setting and I am playing a Paladin/Gray Guard. A friend of mine is playing my traveling companion a Half Black Dragon Bard. I know Half Black Dragon is evil ect. ect. but we fit in story element that would explain this. My character was granted a wish by a trickster figure, he wished for a Dragon Companion. As a Paladin he meant to have a great and powerful dragon mount, but instead he got Thom.

There is something not quite right about Thom, he is a little "touched" in the head due to his forced alignment/personality switch(part of the wish). Luckily my character and this dragon get along very well so I don't mind traveling with him, he listens to reason 90% of the time when about to do something I cannot abide, and the other 10% they are usually minor offenses that end with me preaching to him about why he shouldn't do that.

One thing that neither of us knows however(In Character of course) is that beneath the layers of massively powerful magic holding his alignment in check is a murderous Half Black Dragon Fighter/Occult Slayer/Diciple of Darkness named Moht(Moe-Hot). So herein lies where things get interesting.

If Thom and James are ever more than 500 ft. Apart Thom must make a DC 22 Will Save or go into an in between stage of his alignment. He will have darker impulses than usual and be far more likely to act upon them. After a predesignated amount of time, or if we are seperated further he is forced to make another Save at +1 DC for each additional passed saved or he reverts completely.

So the story finds us fighting our way through hordes of bandits. We finally make it to the top floor of a building, where there I sensed 3 evil auras. When we entered the room there were 5 people. Not one to slay innocents I demand everyone stand down and strike up a dialouge with the man who seems to be leader of the group. He claims be doing nothing but protecting his friends from harm and my detect evil is not working on him. He extended his hand to shake and I initially refuse, until I decided to try to use our mutual touch to "Focus" my detect evil. Well clearly even if this was a clever ploy to cast a spell on me, I with my massive Paladin saves would be fine. Well it was a trap and he did cast a spell on me, it was a Plane Shift spell where he would be taking me away with him. All I needed was an 8, I got a 4. The Cleric and I are gone, and this leaves my trigger happy friends with two groups of enemies and a Neutral Half Dragon. 1 round later that Neutrality becomes full on evil. Now we used his evil self in a prequel campaign in which he fleshed out personality and fighting style. He proceeded to Drink a Potion to enlarge himself(houseruled to work on him) grew wings because he bacame large sized(also house ruled). Throttled a demon half to death and then flew 175 ft into the air and dropped him.

Epic. Now all we have to worry about is me coming back to find all our friends dead with him (forced back to good by my presence) having no idea what happend. Should be pretty funny.

Seejo Crux

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • High INT, Low CHA. Tend to be social misfits.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2010, 11:38:38 AM »
I played RPGs all the time when I was growing up. My friends were really into Rifts and, by extension, so was I. The only time I got to play D&D was with my brothers. We'd gotten to the point where we would 'play' without the dice. Telling stories about the bizarre characters they came up with became more fun than tactical combat.

At some point, my sister - one of the most cultured and well-adjusted people I know - wanted to participate. I think she had this idea in her mind that she wanted to show interest in what her brothers did. At the time, we were doing D&D 2e. But I also had tons of expansions, and we had very strange ideas on house rules. I brought her up to speed on how the game worked and we set about making her a character that would mesh well with the party.

Brother 1 had a wemic fighter named Hercules Bloodpaw. For those not in-the-know, a wemic is like a centaur but made of lions instead of horses. Bloodpaw was buff and had magic weapons and armor. He killed shit and did it well.

Brother 2 played 'Diablo', a wild mage who was also a member of the race of gnome-sized lizard men who didn't speak save through pheromones. (I can't remember what they were called.) I think at one point he had magical boots that gave him super-speed.

After hearing all this, my sister wanted to play something straightforward - an elven ranger simply called The Huntress. She enjoyed the character and played her well. There was nothing particularly strange about her until one day, when a random treasure table in a random dungeon earned her a magical item called the Decanter of Endless Water.

"What does it do?" my sister asked.

"Well, it's a flask," I said, sort of downhearted because I was giving the party such a shitty item. "It has three settings. You say 'stream', 'fountain', or 'geyser', and it makes water at varying levels of force."

I think she knew that the item wasn't as impressive as the other items dolled out in the campaign. I thought about changing it, but she insisted on keeping it. "Maybe we can sell it when we get back to town." The ranger tucked it away for safe keeping.

Later in the same dungeon, shit went haywire. A giant guarding a princess was giving the PCs a hard time. They figured out that the giant's weak point was its unarmored head, but getting up there proved unexpected difficult. Just when it looked like things were going to end badly, my sister started to smile.

"Does the flask we got earlier have a strap or something I can tie with?"

"Sure, you can strap it to you if you don't want to hold it in your pack," I said, a little confused.

"Can I strap it to my back, upside-down, and use the 'geyser' setting to boost my jump?"

I sat their dumbfounded for a second. My brothers kinda looked at each other.

"Yeah, you can do that," I said eventually, not even bothering to read the magic item description.

In her following turn, the elven ranger shouted 'GEYSER!!' and, with a running leap, stabbed the giant in the face, gouging out an eye. The other heroes charged in when the giant fell to its knees and kept the beast from recovering. In time, they won the battle and saved the princess.

This was years ago, but I'm certain she still had that item when the character retired. I think Diablo the lizard painted wings on it at one point.