Author Topic: Rogue Trader: Between Session Thread  (Read 202472 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Rogue Trader: Between Session Thread
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2010, 02:28:14 PM »
Alright, the ship does have some wrap traces but they are exceedingly faint. With an 01 you recognise that the taint matchs the one from what was formerly Arcpellgo #10 on Valhalla, which the ship recently "sank" with an orbital bombardment. This ship must have left the planet after being tainted but before it could spread significantly.

There is also the trace of a single former lifesign, suggesting only one human was onboard the ship when it crashed.

A search of objects turns up little besides ship junk. The craft is fairly stripped down.

If you want to power up the computers than somebody needs to make a Tech Use Test.

nbneil

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2010, 03:43:29 PM »
Trask does not have that skill. So . . .

If Dom or Carin have it, they can roll. If not, I'll order Scottarius to teleport an enginseer down to try it. They are crack crew, so he should be ok. I'll use exceptional leader to boost him/her to a 50.
Check out the NerdBound podcast on iTunes or at NerdBound
Follow me on Twitter @nbneil

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2010, 04:33:34 PM »
Let's give it a one for the money then before waiting for anybody else.

Rolling 1d100:
(69): Total = 69

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2010, 04:34:46 PM »
Alright, so the NPCs aren't gonna get this one cranking over fully. We'll have a PC give it a shot and if that doesn't work the backup would be trying to salvage the crashed ship itself and to the work in a hangar onboard the Valkyrie.

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2010, 04:57:33 PM »
"Damn, the one time I left Nathan AND Gearus behind. I hope one of the rest of you can get this thing going. If not, we leave it for another time. I don't intend to being something on board the Valkyrie that might endanger the ship. Objections?"

I can wait for my crew's response. If no one does, I'll make a decision and go with it.

ShotgunSurgeon

« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2010, 06:15:11 PM »
Old woman voice: "Unfortunately, I choose to study in more esoteric subjects. However, our pilot might be able to wake the machine spirits of this forsaken craft. I have no objections to hauling the craft aboard. It might be ... interesting ... to study what happened here."

Won't be much help here. Of the crew present, Dom might be our best shot. I say let Dom work on it with those sexy metallic limbs of his. Up to you, cap'n.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2010, 06:25:17 PM »
Dom does have Best Quality roboarms so he gets a bonus to "fine manipulation". Of course he isn't trained in Tech-Use as far as I know so it's more of a shot in the dark, but one that he does get a bonus to. And if Trask gives him his bonus and he opts to take extra time, than he's looking at half of his score but with a +30 bonus.

So, let's give him that shot in the dark roll:

Rolling 1d100:
(38): Total = 38

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2010, 06:41:38 PM »
Even without the +10 for taking time, I think Dom's lowest scores are still higher than 36 so even at half that roll is good enough to scrap by.

The computer systems come online in fits and starts but eventually the ship's bridge becomes active and soldiers begin poking around. They quickly discover that nearly everything is recorded in old style High Gothic, which almost nobody speaks anymore and fewer people can read.

Fully understanding the data, which appears to be a record of the ship's activities lead up to the crash, will require someone with knowledge of High Gothic and a fairly difficult for of Literacy.

ShotgunSurgeon

« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2010, 08:58:05 PM »
With the Trask's leave, I'll take a look at the records. I've got Literacy and Speak Language (High Gothic). I'll just roll both and you can take the appropriate one.

Literacy
|dice 1d100|

Speak Language
|dice 1d100|

both against 62 intelligence.

ShotgunSurgeon

« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2010, 09:01:14 PM »
Well.. I fucked up that command. Let's see if this is better.

Literacy Rolling 1d100:
(59): Total = 59

Speak (High Gothic) Rolling 1d100:
(7): Total = 7

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
I'll glance over Carin's shoulder and try to make out what I can.  I'll take my time for the +10 if necessary.

Rolling 1d100:
(74): Total = 74
literacy

Rolling 1d100:
(38): Total = 38
speak high gothic

against a 38 +10

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2010, 12:54:14 PM »
Carin manages to stumble through the information though much of the detail is beyond her at the moment. The records are a personal log of events which transpired on the world now known as Valhalla. This ship apparently left the planet after the corruption of the planet began.

The only person on the ship was an Imperial Navy Admiral, a real one from before the days when the Navy and Army where merged into the Imperial Guard. The man was apparently leaving the planet in an effort to catch up to a larger detachment of Crusade vessels when he was shot down by planetary fire. Exact details of why he was fleeing and from what, apart from the generally referred to and much hated, "corruption" is unclear. He does mention the failure of an Inquisitor but does not name the individual.

The good Admiral apparently srurvived the crash because the record mentions the ship being shot down. The man was apparently attempting to repair the vessel and his last few entries are fairly obsessive that he must do so and catch the Crusader fleet that they might "correct a great and ruinious sin".

Additional detail could be gathered through longer study of the information.

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2010, 04:47:43 PM »
If it isn't feasible to download the logs, I'll have the vessel hauled onto the ship for further investigation. The moon will be mined as normal. A contingent of guards will watch the vessel at all times in case anything happens. The next stop will be the asteroid belt.

Rolling 1d100:
(49): Total = 49
awareness +30 for sensors

Against a 37 I believe, so 67.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2010, 04:54:44 PM »
Downloading the logs will take (surprise) a Tech-Use attempt. This one isn't really as mechanically focused so Dom isn't gonna be able to BS his way through it like he did the wiring. Let's give the NPC techpriest a shot:

Rolling 1d100:
(31): Total = 31

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2010, 05:40:29 PM »
That's enough to get by. The engineseer zips everything onto a bunch of data slates. You can still bring along the ship if you like, since you made the test already. The scans show nothing new but they put some additional detail on the damage suffered by the vessel. It looks like it's plasma drive was crippled by a lascannon strike and it lost all significant power in seconds. It's also rather deformed by the crash and the scraping it gets on the way back out of the fissure and onto the ship.

Would you like to spend sometime investigating the dataslates while heading out into the surrounding system? Since you have more time these tests will be at +10 (compared the the -10 they where on the ship) and will be for extra information beyond what you already know.