Author Topic: anyone good at maptools?  (Read 25739 times)

nekomata

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: anyone good at maptools?
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2010, 04:56:55 PM »
My favorite technique is the one I used on a guy in pvp match. All Out Attack Double: Head stomp. I kicked him in the head to stun him, threw him prone, and caved his skull with my heel. Still not as fun as him fighting the flying rocket ninjas with P90s though. Two of them charged him with swords once their swords and got thier jaws blown off, litterally. The last one use spray fire, hitting him in both legs and an arm, bypassing his armor.
Just because you aren't drunk now doesn't mean you won't have a hangover tommarow.
The only thing worse then zombies is nanotech zombies that are immune to disintegration.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2010, 05:05:36 PM »
Yeah, a Called Shot to the Skull with Crushing damage can do that. Splat.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2010, 05:15:33 PM »
So, since I am playing a 500 point badass in a GURPS game - what happens when I make a called shot to the groin with a 9d pi sniper rifle?

I am talking 20-40 damage. To a normal human bad guy.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2010, 05:39:04 PM »
So, since I am playing a 500 point badass in a GURPS game - what happens when I make a called shot to the groin with a 9d pi sniper rifle?

So, normal human bad guy with only 10 to 12 hitpoints.

Depending on the realism of the game I'd have to say that you can't do that much damage to a dude's groin. It's just not a vital enough organ that taking it off is going to result in instantly death. It would be gruesome, that's for sure.

Of course, GURPS doesn't have people instantly die unless they get to some multipul of their HP in negatives. They do have to make the Health Test to see if they stay alive though.

If you did 20 damage, I would describe the bullet splattering the crotch area and the individual either curling up in an attempt to control the bleed (if he made his check) or his eyes rolling back and crumbling into a heap (if he failed it).

At 40 damage, depending on the tone of the game, I think the bullet would have to hyper-decelerate, imparting maximum impact force, shattering the pelvis bone and likely rupturing any and all internal organs stored within such as the large intestine, the bladder, and possibly the liver.

Any higher than that and he's basically cut in half.

Addition-

If gruesome is the goal than at high damage levels, again using the hyper-decelerate explaination, the bullet could catch his tail bone, ripping it out his back and creating a "rip" at the bottom of the dude's body so that all his vital elements dropped out (since his pelvis and hips shattered from the decelerate force they aren't there to hold anything in) and his liver and other guts would be dangling from his intestines. And if he makes his Health Test than he lives long enough to look down at the mess before dying.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 05:43:05 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2010, 05:45:42 PM »

Depending on the realism of the game I'd have to say that you can't do that much damage to a dude's groin. It's just not a vital enough organ that taking it off is going to result in instantly death. It would be gruesome, that's for sure.

I disagree. The two longest arteries in the body meet in the groin. My doing enough damage to the area you essentially ensure a person bleeds to death.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2010, 05:48:16 PM »
They met in the upper groin area, coming up from the inside of the thighs, right? My arterial mental map isn't as good. I assumed Ross was literally aiming for the dude's balls, ie the lower groin.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2010, 06:28:31 PM »
They met in the upper groin area, coming up from the inside of the thighs, right? My arterial mental map isn't as good. I assumed Ross was literally aiming for the dude's balls, ie the lower groin.

I would assume that with as much damage as Ross does, he's basically splitting the dude's pelvic bone in half.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2010, 06:42:34 PM »
That was my assumption with the second, more destructive, take on things. With a super sonic round it's entirely possible he'd make a perfect little hole in the guy. Over penetration is a problem with high powered rounds and to a none armored area it'll bust right through.

Ironically (from my understanding of fire arms) if the guard was wearing something to protect his crotch, than the bullet would be slowed but likely still penetrate. Slowing the round or dulling it's point allows it to transfur additional energy to the subject, resulting in greater damage.

And, of course, if Ross clipped the head of the round before the shot so that the bullet would split on impact than he'd blow the whole lower gut of the guard out his ass.

Well, maybe not exactly that... I exaggerate to make a point.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2010, 06:45:52 PM »
well it was an unnamed soldier so he pretty much died on the spot

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2010, 06:50:49 PM »
well it was an unnamed soldier so he pretty much died on the spot

Well of course he died! It's an action movie. What's important is how he died.

Big difference between a railing kill (one of my personal favorites) and a getting shot in the middle of an open field kill.

So, ask a stupid question, why would you aim at his groin to begin with?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2010, 07:00:16 PM »
Eyeball shots were a bit too hard since I was in a moving car going 90 mph offroad.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2010, 07:04:12 PM »
Eyeball shots were a bit too hard since I was in a moving car going 90 mph offroad.

Well there you go then. I suppose he was too far away to just throw a knife as well?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2010, 07:11:31 PM »
idk but sniper rifles do more damage

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2010, 02:00:53 PM »
Stan is sick and tired of that cheap hooker, Cheap Asian Hooker, walking the corner by the Hot Dog Hut, bringing her freaky clients around and using the alley way. He needs that alley so he can sleep out of sight of the Conglobe-Co Office Building so their windows won't project his dreams at night. And so he doesn't have to try and dodge those nasty Jons of hers when he wants to sift through the dumpster for food.

He sneaks around the long way, behind the Hot Dog Hut and around Shop Mart and the adjoined Gas Station so he can rig the dumpster in the alleyway. He'll brace the front wheels of the dumpster, then force a wedge against the back wheels from behind so the dumpster is being pushed forwards, held in place by the bracing on the front wheels, then tie a line from the braces to a trip wire so the next person who walks infront of the dumpster will pull loose the braces and the dumpster will roll towards them and (hopefully) crush them against the far wall.

Sneaking in.
Rolling 3d6:
(2+1+6): Total = 9

Scrounging for the parts he needs.
Rolling 3d6:
(6+1+6): Total = 13

Trapping the dumpster.
Rolling 3d6:
(6+1+2): Total = 9

Sneaking away.
Rolling 3d6:
(5+4+4): Total = 13

malyss

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Gimme some sugar baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2010, 02:12:34 PM »

I disagree. The two longest arteries in the body meet in the groin. My doing enough damage to the area you essentially ensure a person bleeds to death.

I don't care what you guys are debating - he said his groin isn't vital. Fuck that. My groin is vital.