Author Topic: Character Creation...  (Read 136027 times)

Bronnen

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Re: Character Creation...
« Reply #120 on: May 19, 2010, 01:58:22 PM »
Mordred ignored the speech occurring behind him, his mind focused on the threshold, and the demon. He know it could not hurt him, not with its own body in any case, and that simple fact made him wade in, thrusting his spear into the side of the beast, and ignoring the blows it sent his way from supernatural means. He did need to avoid getting into direct melee with it however, as no matter how well protected against the supernatural he was, a cracked spine from being thrown into a column would still injure him.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #121 on: May 19, 2010, 07:30:18 PM »
Jack B. Nimble's Wild Adventures, quest starring Peter Barak.

A cold day in mid-winter, a young human woman of service to Summer has gone missing among the snowy trees. A Lady commands her knight to his duty, whatever the danger he may face. Seeking ghouls and winter fey the knight set to his work in the deep forests until the woman's trail was gone amid the snow.

As night fell he discovered a new human's trail. Seeking to outpace to falling sun, the knight made haste and surprised the human he found greatly. After apologises where made, the traveler, who claimed to be a treasure hunter, shared what he knew of the woods. He sought the remains of a cult who worshipped monsters in the forests.

Late at night the camper awoke to distant noises in the formerly silent woods. With haste they prepared themselves and crept into the darkness of the forest, following the sounds which became voices as they drew closer.

About the mouth of a cavern a mass of people dressed in furs and painted fearsome encircled a high stone pillar, from which a young woman hung by her ankles. Below the girl stood a savage woman with a blade of chipped stone and wrapped in the hide of a bear, proclaiming the return of their god. Beyond, in the cave's mouth, the shadows from the fires danced into nightmarish shapes.

From the trees, the knight and the seeker watched. Both knew this could not be allowed to pass. The heroes seperated, "surrounding" the cult, and waited for their moment. As the leader finished her proclaimations, the clear errupted into spring. The trees bloomed and warm wind whipped through the air. The stone pillar tore itself free of the ground, sliding to the edge of the clearing and falling into the trees as the surrounding snow melted, spending water swirling down from the hillside above the cave, dousing the clearing with ice water and slush.

In the mass of confusion, amid the rumblings as the cave mouth collapsed, the knight and the treasure seeker slipped away with the young woman. The knight of summer had recued the damsel in distress and the seeker held the antlered icon from the altar.

In good spirits, the heroes parted ways, calling one another friend.

ristarr

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2010, 10:14:10 PM »
Hey guys, I might not be posting a lot until Sunday night.  But it will be mostly due to gaming!  I am running 2 games this weekend that I have to do some preparation for and playing in the skype game with Ross tomorrow night.  So I will probably be around some Friday night/Saturday morning timeframe.
But I  wanted to do share some quick thoughts for phase 5.

Rudolph and I have met before and I still owe him for saving my butt.  I would like to work something into my aspects like "champion of the underdog", so I am for helping someone out of a jamb.  Preferably using my thievery skills.  Breaking and entering would be great!  Maybe a rescue ( although Mr Nimble has already been involved with one).   Maybe something to try and get Jack back into the decent graces of the White Council.  Steal a relic from an evil sorcerer?  I mentioned a potential target in a previous post.

I am pretty much game for anything.  I enjoy the adrenaline rush and that is why I gamble and burgle.

Ryo

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 19, 2010, 11:34:53 PM »
Thanks Tad, that's a great story. Only thing, I'm not a Knight, although the difference appears to be pretty slight. I'll add this to my third story, but he is bound to a Lady by emotions (maybe enscrolled :P) and not duty. I see him more as a personal champion rather than serving the whole court.

I'll try to do as well for Mordred.

Mordred Thulsson in "You did what!" guest staring Jack Nimble.

Mordred had been walking through a track of woods for the past hour and was getting frustrated. He had been told there were some cultist operating out of a park just outside of town. The local law hadn't done anything, because they apparently hadn't done enough to warrant arrest, but Mordred knew without a doubt that he needed to be here. He had only a few weeks before given up his body and soul in exchange for the power to fight against the evil he now saw all around him.

He pushed aside a branch only to be struck by a clump of snow. Swearing an oath, he stopped to brush off his chest. He was dressed for battle. He wore only his torc, a large cloak and a pair of leather and fur pants that came down to his knees. His upper body and face were covered in symbols that few in this modern world would recognize or understand, but that matter not at all to Mordred. The purpose of these runes were to honor his gods. They were a physical, visual testament of his faith.

Snow crunched under his think, heavy boots. The air was crisp and cold this wintery day, but the beserker ignored it. He was aware of the chill, of the danger it posed if he stayed out here to long, but he had been drawn here to preform his sworn duty. Suddenly, he heard the cry of two crows, as a couple came crashing out of the trees and into a small clearing in front of him.

Jack had just recently parted from a new found friend after saving the girl currently running at his side, only to be ambushed by yet more members of the cult. He had managed to avoid the trap, but was quickly becoming mentally and physically drained. The girl at his side was in a panic and she let out a scream when they ran in front of the large man dressed in furs and carrying a spear. Jack let out a growl of anger at his bad luck and tried to escape with his charge.

Mordred saw the man seeking to avoid him, but he would not let this cultist do what he pleased with the poor frighten girl he held so tightly in his clutches.  Letting out a roar, he spirited towards the fleeing man and woman. His spear thrust out before him, but before Mordred could close to do battle the man pointed and a beam of pure light shot back at him. However, he was prepared for just such an attack. This is how the corrupt fought, fleeing when threaten, killing with indifference, but his gods would not allow this tainted magic to harm him. Strangely, Mordred realized the attack was not directed at him, but enveloped a tree off to his left. Then without warning the tree started to move. It reached out and grabbed him, seeking to restrain him, but to such a battle harden man action and thought were as one. He let his spear fly even as a branch circled his arm. Unfortunately, whether from the tree's grasp or the other man's own skill, the spear missed its mark and did not land a killing blow. The man has hurt enough to drop and lay crumpled in the snow, holding his side as blood seeped between his fingers.

When the girl leaped to impose herself between Mordred and his prey, he hesitated. Something was tugging at the back of his mind. The coat sleeve on the man's right arm, burst into flame, symbols appeared, glowing brightly. Mordred did not know their meaning, but he understood they had something to do with the fae. Dread filled his heart, was his purpose here to hunt cultist or something else? The man he had just injured wasn't who he thought he was and the girl trying so desperately to protect him, wasn't his hostage.

In his mind's eye he saw Old Garnard still alive and speaking to the boy he had once been. The priest's face bore a shocked expression and Mordred could hear him saying as clear as day, "You did what!".
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 10:06:32 PM by Ryo »

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2010, 11:48:25 PM »
Hey guys, I might not be posting a lot until Sunday night.  But it will be mostly due to gaming!  I am running 2 games this weekend that I have to do some preparation for and playing in the skype game with Ross tomorrow night.  So I will probably be around some Friday night/Saturday morning timeframe.
But I  wanted to do share some quick thoughts for phase 5.

Rudolph and I have met before and I still owe him for saving my butt.  I would like to work something into my aspects like "champion of the underdog", so I am for helping someone out of a jamb.  Preferably using my thievery skills.  Breaking and entering would be great!  Maybe a rescue ( although Mr Nimble has already been involved with one).   Maybe something to try and get Jack back into the decent graces of the White Council.  Steal a relic from an evil sorcerer?  I mentioned a potential target in a previous post.

I am pretty much game for anything.  I enjoy the adrenaline rush and that is why I gamble and burgle.

I don't think it matters what we do, it will be interesting no matter what.

Bronnen

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2010, 12:11:00 AM »
Ryo, I've gotta say, I love what you did with him. Great story about him, I love it. He might try to apologize, without actually saying he did anything wrong.

I like it!

Now you guys only need to do your phase five, and then we can get started! HURRAY!

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #126 on: May 20, 2010, 12:05:55 PM »
Thanks Tad, that's a great story. Only thing, I'm not a Knight, although the difference appears to be pretty slight.

I figured you weren't a literal knight, I was aiming for a fantasy story motif. Besides, you've got Seelie Magic and your in the service (*wink wink nudge*) of a faerie lady so your pretty close to knighthood right there. Better watch out.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2010, 12:34:26 PM »
Peter shrugged, skimming pages, glancing up every few seconds to make sure the creature wasn't coming towards him. "As far as I'm concerned, you stick a magic jewel on a hammer and you get a magic hammer, ergo," he flipped a page, revealing a painted image that, if one squinted just right, kind of looked like the demon, "Muskatblomme Arbeidssøker, the Hammer Seeker. The creature desires power and steals the strength of others by taking their possessions, most notably their weapons. It says here Thor killed it by crushing it under a mountain slide when it tried to steal his hammer. But I guess there's more than one."

Ryo

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 20, 2010, 10:15:21 PM »
Ah, I was just rereading the 4th aspect part and realized you have your character add a supporting roll to the other person's 3rd aspect story. Sorry Bronnen I just thought each person made up a story with the character you tag as the star.

I didn't even pick up that Tad had used my story. :P

I went back and made some edits. The story happens not long after you gained your powers. I don't know what your intent was for the "You did what" aspect, but I saw it as something you could use to draw on past memories/lessons/etc or on jumping to conclusions, acting on assumptions etc.

Bronnen

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 20, 2010, 10:22:46 PM »
Don't worry, you did fine. The "You did what?" aspect is basically for any time that someone does something very stupid that Morded can't really believfe.

Ryo

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 20, 2010, 10:53:54 PM »
Oh? How does that help you gain or spend fate points?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #131 on: May 20, 2010, 11:07:37 PM »
Oh? How does that help you gain or spend fate points?

If a buddy does it and it sets the progress back, he gains. If an enemy does it and it present an opening to explit, he spends. Bam!

Ryo

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 21, 2010, 07:11:52 AM »
Ahh I see. So you can have aspects that deal with other people's actions and not just your own?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #133 on: May 21, 2010, 11:39:25 AM »
Ahh I see. So you can have aspects that deal with other people's actions and not just your own?

Aspects are wild cards. It isn't always about your actions, they can also describe circumstances or situations which you might find yourself in. There's a whole chapter on it in the book, Chapter Seven.

They list the following as possible Aspects:

* Relationships (Mama’s Boy, Apprentice to Ancient Mai)
* Beliefs (The Lord Is My Shepherd, Nothing Is Forever)
* Catchphrases (Can’t Keep My Mouth Shut, “It’s Not My Fault!”)
* Descriptors (Wiseass Wizard, Rugged as the Road)
* Items (Sword of the Cross, My Mother’s Pentacle)
* Pretty much anything else that paints a vivid picture of the character (Big Man On Campus, Anger Is My Constant Companion)

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 21, 2010, 03:03:38 PM »
Are we eventually going to make separate threads for each character?