Author Topic: Character Creation...  (Read 125353 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Character Creation...
« Reply #135 on: May 21, 2010, 03:24:53 PM »
Are we eventually going to make separate threads for each character?

I already did. Unilateralism!

Ryo

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 21, 2010, 09:05:52 PM »
I got the basics from the chapter, but even in your examples its all about the character (You're the apprentice, my Lord, my mouth, etc.).

I guess if it would have been "Finding fault with other people's foolish actions" I would have understood better. The way it was phrased just confused me.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #137 on: May 21, 2010, 10:57:21 PM »
I can understand that. It doesn't have any deeper meaning out of the context of the character's background.
It's a catch phrase.

Arje

• Play by Post Dude. Malcontent.
  • Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 24, 2010, 12:10:36 AM »
Everyone please create a separate character thread, very much like what tadanori did.

Character Name, and then a catchy 3 or 4 word description. It's where you and I will do things maintenance related.

Also, if you could look at the following information and fill it out for at least yourself, if not the group I would be thankful.

1. Does your character have any unusual quirks? What are they?
2. Physical abnormalities? Birthmarks? Tattoos? etc.
3. TRUENAME (Don't post this, but have it written down somewhere with a pronunciation guide)
4. Favorite things? Food? Clothes? Everyone has little likes and dislikes which say a lot about them.
5. Notate some physical descriptions. There is probably a world of difference between how you and I drink coffee, and the way we do says something about us. Do you pick it up with both hands, grasping the mug firmly, allowing the warmth to move into your arms before you inhale its rich aroma, or do you drink it like a junkie needing his next caffeine buzz? Try and come up with 3 or 4 physical descriptions for common acts. A cup of coffee, putting on shoes, things like that. 
6.  catch phrases? regionalisms? slang? accent? define their voice before you start writing them.
7. Pick a place for them to live. (I'll post some greater neighborhood information a little later)

My new goal in life is to play D&D with Judi Dench

ristarr

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
« Reply #139 on: May 24, 2010, 09:33:06 PM »
I have not read much of the magic sections yet, but do I need a TRUENAME, since I am not a spellcaster?

Arje

• Play by Post Dude. Malcontent.
  • Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 24, 2010, 09:43:02 PM »
YES!!!!! very important!   =)
My new goal in life is to play D&D with Judi Dench

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 24, 2010, 10:37:28 PM »
everyone has gots a true name. Even demons and their ilk.

Bronnen

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 25, 2010, 12:38:12 AM »
What if one doesn't... know his true name, and anyone that would know it is dead. I.E Parents and priests who raised him.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #143 on: May 25, 2010, 01:17:49 AM »
A true name isn't your legal name: it's the hum that you vibrate to. It's the words and the tone and the spirit of the phrase. Complex shit. If your not a Wizard than you probably don't know what a true name is (within the reality of the Dresden Files setting) but probably have general awareness that wizards can do bad things with someone's real name.

Bronnen

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 25, 2010, 01:20:29 AM »
I just bought the first book of the dresden files series so.. I'll be able to Rp this a lot better once I start reading.

I'll have to think of a true name then. Maybe one given by his gods or something.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #145 on: May 25, 2010, 01:44:57 AM »
Hey, you to?! I just bought it this weekend and I've been rolling through it like mad. Amazing book.

Bronnen

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 25, 2010, 01:46:47 AM »
Haha yeah, I bought a shitload of other books too though. I have to read those first. I have Fevre Dream by George R R Martin, which i'm reading next. Then I have a book by Simon R Green, then two others by Jim Butcher, not in his dresden series, and then finally I have the first book of the dresden files.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 25, 2010, 04:05:01 PM »
I know what you guys mean. I'd heard of the dresden files, but I'd only skimmed through it every now and then. Now I'm going through the 6th book and I enjoy the series very much.  

Ryo

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 25, 2010, 08:44:23 PM »
I just bought the first book of the dresden files series so.. I'll be able to Rp this a lot better once I start reading.

I'll have to think of a true name then. Maybe one given by his gods or something.

Its not so much given as it is the sum of who you are. Its like a glass which breaks at one particular harmonic frequency. It wasn't given, its a part of it.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #149 on: May 27, 2010, 01:19:08 PM »
Most of the way through the first book and I have to say, reading just that far has given me a much greater understanding of the setting. I highly recommend everybody read "Storm Front" before we start play, it'll help you alot.