Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 428973 times)

ThnJonWasAZmbie

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Where bears can fly.
    • View Profile
Re: Introduction
« Reply #270 on: February 02, 2012, 07:00:53 AM »
Lol this board reads like a rehab forum! "My name is Andrew, and I play table top role playing games."

"Hello Andrew"

"I guess it all started....."
Jumping off diving boards gives you the ability to make your rpg ring with authenticity.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 02, 2012, 07:42:21 AM »
Lol this board reads like a rehab forum! "My name is Andrew, and I play table top role playing games."

"Hello Andrew"

"I guess it all started....."

RPPR: Treating RPG Reality Displacement Syndrome since 2006: http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2006/11/comedy/the-game-masters-rpg-reality-displacement-syndrome/
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

ThnJonWasAZmbie

• Where bears can fly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 02, 2012, 09:12:33 AM »
"I don't know how it happened, but I was playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 2nd edition and I forgot to pick my kids up from school"

"Andrew, you don't have kids"

"Oh my god, I game so much I'm role playing as a parent!"
Jumping off diving boards gives you the ability to make your rpg ring with authenticity.

Klivian

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 28, 2012, 09:05:49 AM »
<wave>

'lo everybody!  I'm a 30-something engineer who has been hooked on  tabletop roleplaying for about 7 years.

I didn't get introduced to RPGs until after college when a coworker invited me to join his D&D 3.5 campaign.  After that we played in a Mutants & Masterminds campaign that fell apart because there were too many "loner in a trench coat" characters.  Then I decided I wanted to try this GMing thing and started a Star Wars SE D20 campaign.  It ran for 5 years and completed three large story arcs.  The final session was earlier this spring *sniff*... *a tear*.

Somewhere along the way I started listening to RPG podcasts like RPPR and The Game Master Show and had my mind blown out my ears by the variety of gaming systems and settings.  I'm now the resident GM for my gaming group and am always trying to expand their horizons with new games (Eclipse Phase, Monsters & Other Childish Things, Ninja Burger, Spirit of the Century, PDQ, so far).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 11:36:42 PM by Klivian »

Grey_Stranger

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 28, 2012, 06:19:47 PM »
HI, I'm Jon.
I live in Utah (ohgodsaveme) and have been a listener of RPPR since the site first started. Used to have a different account here, but i forgot it's info and don't have the email it was under any more so decided to make a new one.
While I am a huge fan of RPGs and wish I could play them all the time, I don't get to play much due to my work schedule and the lack of interest from people I know.
Mostly I am playing a lot wargammer, WH40k and WarmaHoards primarily with the occasional WHFB thrown in there.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #275 on: May 29, 2012, 12:51:23 AM »
Hi guys! Thanks for dropping by.

Halloween Honey

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 23, 2012, 11:48:06 PM »
Hi Everyone!  Forgive me if I am not doing this correctly but I just wanted to share the love with you wonderful RPG-ers!  I played my first RPG last night with my husband and brother-in-law, both who are avid players and I blogged all about it (because that is what I do!)  I would love for any of you guys to check it out!  Thanks! 

We shall see if I will play another one sometime soon!

http://halloweenhoney.blogspot.com/2012/06/rolling-for-initiative-with-ghosts.html

Teuthic

• of the Bleak Cabal
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 04, 2012, 08:18:59 PM »
Good morning, day, or evening, as it may be to any of you.
To continue in the RPG Anonymous vibe this whole thread has going on:
My name's Chris, I'm 23, and I've been my Skype group's designated GM on-and-off for 3 years now. I'm at college in South Florida, in a city called Mouse Mouth, where I study evolutionary biology and work at a newspaper. I've been trying to get a RL game of something going on here for a while now.
I first started gaming when I was 16, when I began working on the abortive game Dungeons and Discourse (based onthis Dresden Codak comic, which is still in development and has pretty awful mechanics; I've turned into one of the two guys in charge of developing it, so we're starting over from scratch.

I'm a huge fan of gaming, but I have a soft spot for abstract Indie RPGs and rules-lite systems; they usually allow for much stranger games.
My favorite games are tied for Monster and Other Childish Things, Unknown Armies, and Don't Rest Your Head; I'm basically obsessed with any game where Ben Baugh or Greg Stolze is involved somehow.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #278 on: July 04, 2012, 08:57:34 PM »
cool! You will be pleased to know that Ben Baugh is working on a thing for Arc Dream - don't know how much else I can say at this point.

Greg Stolze is working on a facebook version of the 13th Age RPG. Not sure what else he is working on.

QuickreleasePersonalitY

• if you see your self on the road, kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 25, 2012, 02:52:06 PM »
genties & ladlemen,

i am a quantum fluctuation, a bit of universe that has become somewhat aware of itself, made of trillions of semi-autonomous parts that compete amongst themselves to produce the self-writing infovore that "is" "I".

i came to the gaming space through the blue book D&D during elementary school; i chose, brazenly (stupidly?) to play a magic user -- one shot sleep spell then hide behind everyone else until the next day

i seriously started playing during the era of "Killer DMs" and dungeons as puzzles, populated by bois, where a fly could eventually kill your character...

i have played enough games that i can grok their basic similarities and abstract their play out -- i haven't really played a pen n paper RPG since the early 2000, though i did get sucked into the LARPing biz (which is like mainlining role-playing -- the GOOD STUFF)

i was lucky enough to attend Gen Con a few times at MECCA (pbui; the Holy Land of gamers everywhere) and even got to see the very bemusing and strange American culture -- when I asked where some local restaurants were, the Infocritter said that if I like ethnic foods, the taco bell...

i even got to see how funny people can be right from the first release of M:tG -- cards lying in the bathroom toilets

i stopped playing RPGs because my thinking became too abstract; as soon as i looked at a game i would think of "Ok, so in order to role-play me being sick, i have to roll these dice and get at least this number and have the one person in authority witness it..."

i still adore 3rd party games -- there is some pretty awesome writing and ideas there and have kept my collection for that reason

i am a citizen of the world (though i belong to the Land of Laughter, otherwise known as Canada)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 03:05:30 PM by QuickreleasePersonalitY »
pretentious i am
lest pretentious i become

BishopSansPants

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 28, 2012, 10:31:36 AM »
Ahoy, I am Bishop, or, if you wish to call me by my full title, the Bishop Sans-Pants.

I currently live in Oklahoma City. I don't have a career, just a series of odd jobs that keeps me clothed, fed, and sheltered (usually).

I have two fairly disparate gaming groups: a D&D/Pathfinder group that is more of a beer-and-snacks group (although we do have a fairly long-running world wherein we run story arcs until the group eventually dies, fails, or gets to 15th level) and a more dramatic group that I play the one-roll system, Fiasco, and games of those ilk with. I shall soon be a part of a third, Call of Cthulhu group. I have a habit, it's cool, I feel alive.

I got into tabletop my freshman year of college and never looked back.

I also enjoy video games (console mostly, but sometimes I play computer-based), spending an inordinate amount of time on Wikipedia, and consuming entertainment media (e.g. movies and music).

My favorites are percentile systems such as Call of Cthulhu and Eclipse Phase.

vthings

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 18, 2012, 05:35:52 AM »
My name's Jared, early 30ish.  I GM mostly because nobody else does.  I'm working on putting together an online game, probably through something like Roll20, of Pathfinder's Kingmaker.  My local group's go at it dissolved into in-fighting and when I realized I was spending more time playing group therapist than trying to kill them with kobalds I decided it wasn't going to work out.  I bought those books and like the campaign, I'd really like to see a successful go at it.

For my local group I'm going to stick with horror and mystery one-shots from now on.  Those have become my favorite games to play and listen to.  I'm hoping to get some of these guys outside of their D&D comfort zone and put the power gaming behind them.  I'm hoping that the games Caleb has put out will help me open some eyes.  Wages of Sin is my favorite of anything you guys have done.  Hell, it should be a movie.

Moose Fisher

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 20, 2012, 04:36:16 AM »
I wrote a lengthy post, only to accidentally click back and lose the entire thing!
Here's my second attempt:

Hello there!

My name is Thomas, I am 21 years old as of this writing and studying computer science.  I am a long, looong time listener, first time caller poster.

I suppose this is where I put on my hipster glasses, because I found this place since episode 3 was posted!  I don't even remember how I found this site!  I didn't become an active 'subscriber' until the following March of 2008, listening to RPPR on the plane ride to some family.

I started RPGs with 3.5 D&D (My bro's 1e AD&D being my early exposure), but broadened out with the release of 4e D&D.  Like many people I had frustrations of things I liked changing. But instead of stubbornly holding to one system, I looked to other RPGs.  These days I view this as the best thing to happen with my relationship with RPGs, as my library has broadened, and with them my views.  I even prefer 4e over 3.5 now, but I would still like to try some AD&D. 
My first non-D&D RPG was Call of Cthulhu, inspired by hearing the stories from the podcast and getting into Lovecraft.  From there I expanded into Mutants and Masterminds, (new) World of Darkness, Eclipse Phase, and many more.

I am also the secretary of my university's gaming club.  It's been great playing and running various RPGs and board games.  I've even made it some-what of a mission to introduce new players to Roleplaying with rules-light games like Call of Cthulhu over the typical D&D.

My biggest flaw lately is designing my own scenarios or taking the time to learn new rules so I can introduce people to them.  It's really hard to sit down and get those words on paper.  I've been dying to run some Eclipse Phase but I haven't been able to organize anything, not to mention I've got Tenra Bansho Zero diverting my attention as well.

Frankly, this hobby is great and I wish I could do more with it. ;D

As for why I finally registered to the forums?  I suppose it's because I wanted to deliver this message after watching a few of the RPPR videos:

It's a weird feeling to have my mental images of the RPPR crew shattered.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #283 on: October 20, 2012, 02:10:26 PM »
sorry about that

would it help if I said I paid some actors to pose as us and in reality we totally look like whatever you thought we looked like?

Moose Fisher

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 20, 2012, 06:39:24 PM »
sorry about that

would it help if I said I paid some actors to pose as us and in reality we totally look like whatever you thought we looked like?

Then I would have to compliment you on your lip-sync and video/audio editing skills.

But don't worry, I think I'll be able to recover from the shock and face reality.