Author Topic: The Heroes of New Arcadia - RPPR Superheroes campaign - Wild Talents  (Read 579028 times)

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
Re: The Heroes of New Arcadia - RPPR Superheroes campaign - Wild Talents
« Reply #285 on: July 28, 2011, 12:48:59 AM »
ross, have I ever mentioned that I luv you?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #286 on: July 28, 2011, 12:57:16 AM »
awwwwwww

SimonLucid

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • Don't put that in there is doesn't belong there
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 06, 2011, 10:46:41 PM »
The term street-level was being thrown around a lot in the first half of episode one. I was curious as the definition of that term in the context of the fiction of New Arcadia. For example what heroes, in comics, would constitute such a term?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 12:46:24 AM by SimonLucid »
The question is how faggy can I get...

If you like my avatar check out Seriousbreakfasttime on deviantArt for more great works.

Moondog

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 07, 2011, 12:54:14 AM »
The term street-level was being thrown around a lot in the first half of episode one. I was curious as the definition of that term in the context of the fiction of New Arcadia. For example what heroes, in comics, would constitute such a term?

Luke Cage and Iron Fist (Power Man and Iron Fist comics, also Heroes for Hire!) are perfect example of street level heroes.

DC wise, only The Question and *maybe* Green Arrow stand out to me as being street level.
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 07, 2011, 02:54:13 AM »
DC Comics:
The Bat Family

Green Arrow

Black Canary

Huntress

The Question

Marvel Comics:
Wolverine

Daredevil

an argument can be made for Spider-Man but he is on the high side
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 07, 2011, 03:48:14 AM »
I gotta disagree, P, at very least on Wolverine and Spider-Man.

Spidey's high tier enough to hang with some of the biggest and baddest, with a huge suite of goodies and a strength that varies from writer to writer, but is typically pretty darn huge. I mean Cage is strong, but Spidey's often stronger still.

Wolverine can go toe to toe with The Hulk (and survive being torn in half), so he's right out.

Daredevil, though, sounds about right.

I got no familiarity with DC, so I can't really say. But the Question owns.

Jason

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 07, 2011, 08:11:18 PM »
Pretty much all the characters from Watchmen with the exception of Dr. Manhattan would be considered street level.  John Constantine easily falls into that category too.  While the majority of the characters in both the Avengers and Justice League are well outside that power range, Hawkeye, Mockingbird, Black Widow, Captain America, Green Arrow, Vixen, and Batman are street level.  I'd say all of the Heroes for Hire characters are low enough on the power scale also (in addition to Luke Cage and Iron Fist, Misty Knight and White Tiger).  Technically Spider-man and Wolverine are closer to street level than say Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Ms. Marvel, the Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, Nova, or the Sentry in terms of power.  In fact, Marvel has a plethora of characters on the low end of the power scale.  Many of the X-men would be considered street level in terms or raw power and capability, ruling out omega level mutants of course (i.e. Vulcan, Iceman, Phoenix, Nate Grey).  DC on the other hand seems to tip the balance in the opposite direction.  The Flash, while active on the street, has powers that far exceed many superheroes and easily allows him to be a global force.  Wonder Woman, Superman, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Black Adam, Captain Atom, and Captain Marvel are big powerhouses...well Aquaman not so much ;) but still on the high end.  The Question, Nightwing, Oracle, Robin, Birds of Prey, Hawk, Dove, Catman, and Deadshot are street level.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #293 on: August 07, 2011, 09:06:16 PM »
honestly to me street level doesn't mean the character's power but the story's focus. What I wanted:

Focused on a single city or limited area of operation - the different strata of society, notable characters etc
Dilemmas connected to urban life and its core problems: crime (especially organized crime), ghettofication/gentrification etc
Emphasis on the personal lives of the characters and how they relate to normal people

Compare this to hero groups that are not street level

the FF (cosmic, dimensionally focused, seldom interact with 'normal' people)
Avengers (global security focus, no connection to real life issues)
Justice League (seldom focus on personal issues - team protects entire universe)
Exiles (multidimensional focus)
Doom patrol (not focused on single city - however they do emphasize relating to normal people and how difficult it is)

Street level characters and groups
Spider man
Punisher
Bat family
Heroes for Hire
X-Factor - perfect street level hero team
Powerpack
Runaways
The current version of X-men is somewhat street level - they stay in San Francisco for the most part and a lot of the comic deals with how they relate to society

Z

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 07, 2011, 09:13:36 PM »
i am saddened beyond belief that none of the characters are basically The Question

SimonLucid

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • Don't put that in there is doesn't belong there
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 07, 2011, 11:11:44 PM »
honestly to me street level doesn't mean the character's power but the story's focus. What I wanted:

Focused on a single city or limited area of operation - the different strata of society, notable characters etc
Dilemmas connected to urban life and its core problems: crime (especially organized crime), ghettofication/gentrification etc
Emphasis on the personal lives of the characters and how they relate to normal people

Compare this to hero groups that are not street level

the FF (cosmic, dimensionally focused, seldom interact with 'normal' people)
Avengers (global security focus, no connection to real life issues)
Justice League (seldom focus on personal issues - team protects entire universe)
Exiles (multidimensional focus)
Doom patrol (not focused on single city - however they do emphasize relating to normal people and how difficult it is)

Street level characters and groups
Spider man
Punisher
Bat family
Heroes for Hire
X-Factor - perfect street level hero team
Powerpack
Runaways
The current version of X-men is somewhat street level - they stay in San Francisco for the most part and a lot of the comic deals with how they relate to society

Thank you, Ross and of course the rest who answered as well.
The question is how faggy can I get...

If you like my avatar check out Seriousbreakfasttime on deviantArt for more great works.

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 08, 2011, 12:17:50 AM »
I really don't see someone who can dodge bullets, lift trucks, and outfight Taskmaster as being 'street level' (Spiderman).

Can't believe I forgot the Punisher though. Durrrr

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #297 on: August 08, 2011, 12:40:15 AM »
I really don't see someone who can dodge bullets, lift trucks, and outfight Taskmaster as being 'street level' (Spiderman).

the individual powers don't matter as much as what the hero does - spiderman has a day job in the city and deals with family problems all the time. He doesn't have a secret base in space or the arctic nor is he super rich. He can relate to normal people and so can we. He usually doesn't try to save the world - he settles for stopping a mugger or rescuing a a kid from a burning building.

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 08, 2011, 12:47:37 AM »

the individual powers don't matter as much as what the hero does - spiderman has a day job in the city and deals with family problems all the time. He doesn't have a secret base in space or the arctic nor is he super rich. He can relate to normal people and so can we. He usually doesn't try to save the world - he settles for stopping a mugger or rescuing a a kid from a burning building.

I dunno, I think powers are as much of a factor in getting the proper 'street level' flavor as what is actually done with them.

That is: If Superman spent his comics chilling with Lois and Krypto and Jimmy Olsen and punched the occasional mugger into fine red mist instead of fighting Darkseid, would he be 'street level?' I would say 'of course not, that's ridiculous'.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #299 on: August 08, 2011, 12:49:33 AM »
right but superman doesn't do that. Spiderman is street level also because his enemies are usually professional criminals that just want to make a score or are crazy people obsessed with killing him not cosmic powered superbeings, alien warlords, etc