Author Topic: The Heroes of New Arcadia - RPPR Superheroes campaign - Wild Talents  (Read 584356 times)

Jason

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: The Heroes of New Arcadia - RPPR Superheroes campaign - Wild Talents
« Reply #300 on: August 08, 2011, 04:21:38 AM »
Ross is more or less right. Spider-man is street level because his focus is New York City. He usually stays local (although you could make the argument that he has done some adventures outside of Earth--Secret Wars and a short stint as Captain Universe--which could possibly elevate him to a cosmic hero). He usually deals with any number of minor villains from his rogue's gallery, who are just looking for a quick score but nothing world shattering. In that respect, the Flash and Superman might fall into the same category. However, unlike Spider-man those two heroes, especially Superman quite often find themselves pitted against major threats to the planet, galaxy, or all of reality, usually requiring the entire JLA or DCU to stop.

Now with that being said, Marvel has increased the number of major events over the last ten years and Spidey, more often than not, is swept up into the battle pulling him out of NYC and his civilian life. In fact, his recent full-fledged membership in the Avengers also takes away some of his street level cred as he finds himself in the big leagues. But the same applies to Batman, and while Batman may go on missions with the JLA, he remains heavily focused on Gotham City when fighting crime on his own. Spider-man stays within the confines of NYC when not with the Avengers. Superman often finds himself outside of Metropolis or even Earth when left to his own whims of thwarting any number of villains. Therefore, Superman is not street level.

Lastly, I'd like to say that I do believe powers do play a role, albeit to a lesser extent, in whether or not a hero is street level. Those with high-end powers tend to be global or cosmic level heroes as in the case of Superman, Thor, Silver Surfer, Wonder Woman, etc. Those with low-end powers or none at all typically have a localized impact on their ability to stop villains as in the case of the Punisher, Daredevil, Batman, Green Arrow, etc. But there are exceptions. Star-Lord, Adam Strange, Hawkman, and Rocket Raccoon are galaxy-trotting heroes who have no real powers or are on the relatively low-end of the power scale, but their exploits definitely differentiate them from street level heroes as they continually find themselves dealing with situations on other planets or dimensions.

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 08, 2011, 04:36:04 AM »
i am saddened beyond belief that none of the characters are basically The Question
Ya know I was actually considering it but I didn't want to rip off an awesome character concept completely. But it would've been fun to play a paranoid conspiracy nut, especially factoring in the Ideal and Ragnarok. Plus I don't think I'd have been able to keep up with all the theories I'd throw out there, let alone spontaneously connect the dots in game to develop some new wild conspiracy. It would've been very taxing, creatively speaking.

Moondog

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 08, 2011, 02:12:44 PM »
right but superman doesn't do that. Spiderman is street level also because his enemies are usually professional criminals that just want to make a score or are crazy people obsessed with killing him not cosmic powered superbeings, alien warlords, etc

Only thing stopping him is the writers. Same thing as only thing stopping Spiderman from joining the Avengers going on galaxy-wide megaultimatepower universe saving quests.
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #303 on: August 08, 2011, 03:51:16 PM »
right but superman doesn't do that. Spiderman is street level also because his enemies are usually professional criminals that just want to make a score or are crazy people obsessed with killing him not cosmic powered superbeings, alien warlords, etc

Only thing stopping him is the writers. Same thing as only thing stopping Spiderman from joining the Avengers going on galaxy-wide megaultimatepower universe saving quests.

well the problem with super popular characters that have been written for decades is that if you include everything they've been written in, you can't define them at all. They are literally everything in every genre.

The spiderman of the movies is street level. When most people think of Spiderman, they think of the street level version not the avengers version.

beej

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 08, 2011, 07:12:49 PM »
Ross you've sold me on Wild Talents.  I was going to copy you like I did with New World (which my players loved) but Im going to have to run the Kerburus Club instead.  At any rate I can't wait for further New Arcadia installments and learning the system at your feet.  Cthulhu Fhtagon!
"Old R'lyeh Brewery. Enjoy a cold one on the Great Old One!"

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 08, 2011, 09:39:39 PM »

I wouldn't just say it's the writers.  Spider-man is inherently at his core a street level character.  He patrols New York City, using his abilities to stop various villains because he believes its his responsibility.  He does not concern himself with the wider world due to his alter ego (photographer, teacher, student, family, romantic relationships, and friends) needing to develop.  He is the average person, dealing with the general ups and downs of life, compounded with extra anxiety and time allotted to his superhero life.  It would deviate too much from his character concept and personality to throw him out into the greater universe too often.  Doing so would lose the appeal of his accessibility as the everyman.

Superman, on the other hand, has the capability to be anywhere on the planet--or the universe--and still maintain his civilian life as Clark Kent due to his godlike abilities (Kryptonian technology, flight, and superspeed) and his larger view of responsibility, that of protecting his adopted world or see a similar fate befall it as in the case of his birth world, Krypton.  To concern himself solely with Metropolis would be irresponsible in his eyes because he would be ignoring the bigger picture.   

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 08, 2011, 10:15:11 PM »

well the problem with super popular characters that have been written for decades is that if you include everything they've been written in, you can't define them at all. They are literally everything in every genre.

The spiderman of the movies is street level. When most people think of Spiderman, they think of the street level version not the avengers version.

That's a very fair point.

Edit for more content: So then, you are saying essentially that the majority of what makes a character 'street level' isn't their relative power scale, but what they choose to do with their powers?

I don't entirely agree, but that's certainly a valid way of looking at it.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #307 on: August 09, 2011, 12:43:18 AM »
well powers are a funny thing - sure spiderman is super strong, fast and smart - but what can he actually do with them other than stop supervillains and do search and rescue? Superman can save the world by himself. If he wanted to, he can stand up to nation states or galactic empires.

Street level characters lack the means to dramatically alter the world or universe.

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 09, 2011, 01:29:31 AM »
well powers are a funny thing - sure spiderman is super strong, fast and smart - but what can he actually do with them other than stop supervillains and do search and rescue? Superman can save the world by himself. If he wanted to, he can stand up to nation states or galactic empires.

Street level characters lack the means to dramatically alter the world or universe.

Well if he devoted his time to research and development? Be Iron Spider, and then stand up to nation states.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #309 on: August 09, 2011, 02:02:27 AM »
Tony Stark gave the armor to him and Spiderman didn't stand up alone to the US government nor did Spidey do a whole lot to the government.

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 09, 2011, 11:35:14 AM »
Tony Stark gave the armor to him and Spiderman didn't stand up alone to the US government nor did Spidey do a whole lot to the government.

Which is irrelevant. I'm saying he, himself, being a genius or near-genius intellect, could do it himself, and choose to mess with governments and nation states and so forth.

He hasn't, because that would be hilariously out of character, but he totally COULD.  Which is what I'm getting at. =P

Edit for more content: I guess what I'm saying, before I get drastically sidetracked, is that I think Spiderman is a bad example of a 'street level hero', not because he doesn't do street stuff (he does) but because his powers and abilities are easily high enough to allow him to affect things on a much grander scale than just New York.

Heck, even The Punisher has initiated and been part of events that have had country-wide effect. Including killing the Marvel universe. *G*
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:00:34 PM by Moondog »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #311 on: August 09, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »
eh, I think he is a great street level character. He isn't rich enough to build the armor so it doesn't matter how smart he is.

As I said before, every popular character has been written to do everything and be everyone at some point or the other. But you have to look at the pure, iconic version. Look at the first two movies - they focus on Spidey as a street level character.

That's the type of Spiderman I thought of when running this campaign - among other street level characters.

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 09, 2011, 02:18:01 PM »
Works for me!

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 12, 2011, 09:20:40 PM »
this whole debate is so street level.

beej

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 17, 2011, 10:09:44 PM »
When is the next episode getting posted? 
"Old R'lyeh Brewery. Enjoy a cold one on the Great Old One!"