Author Topic: The Heroes of New Arcadia - RPPR Superheroes campaign - Wild Talents  (Read 559319 times)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: The Heroes of New Arcadia - RPPR Superheroes campaign - Wild Talents
« Reply #375 on: August 30, 2011, 07:06:05 PM »
It's the eagle of JUSTICE, not the eagle of the U.S. Criminal Code (and civil offenses)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #376 on: August 30, 2011, 07:54:16 PM »
So your saying the eagle doesn't research in detail the history of each individual it sees, citing city records and eye witness accounts; but that it is, in fact, magic? Oh, well, why didn't you say so!

For the record though, I want my next super hero to have an Eagle of the U.S. Criminal Code (and Civil Offenses).

Ryo

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 30, 2011, 08:10:50 PM »
A superhero is just a thug who assaults people. These 'criminals' that they attack weren't arrested. They weren't charged with a crime. They were denied their rights. They were not allowed to be judged by a jury of their peers or had a judge rule on their case.

The superhero determined they had commented a crime. The super found them guilty. He decided on what the punishment should be and carried out the sentence.

So remind me what makes a superhero, heroic?

Doesn't spiderman's "With great power comes great responsibility" boil down to "Might makes right?" I have more power than you so I will use that power to enforce my will upon those around me. Who is he responsible for? Himself right? But then he would just use his power to protect himself. Everyone weaker than he is? Did they ask him to be responsible for them? Did they give him the authority to be judge, jury, and executioner of them?

A couple think they are alone and role-play a little 'bad guy/good girl'. Spiderman swings in, beats the hell out of the guy, webs him up a leaves. Maybe the guy suffers brain damage. He at least suffered the mental and physical trauma of being assaulted. Was spiderman being responsible with his power or does he suffer the hubris of believing that he is better than others because of his power and therefor can sit in judgement of them?

Z

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 30, 2011, 09:12:06 PM »
A superhero is just a thug who assaults people. These 'criminals' that they attack weren't arrested. They weren't charged with a crime. They were denied their rights. They were not allowed to be judged by a jury of their peers or had a judge rule on their case.

The superhero determined they had commented a crime. The super found them guilty. He decided on what the punishment should be and carried out the sentence.

So remind me what makes a superhero, heroic?

Doesn't spiderman's "With great power comes great responsibility" boil down to "Might makes right?" I have more power than you so I will use that power to enforce my will upon those around me. Who is he responsible for? Himself right? But then he would just use his power to protect himself. Everyone weaker than he is? Did they ask him to be responsible for them? Did they give him the authority to be judge, jury, and executioner of them?

A couple think they are alone and role-play a little 'bad guy/good girl'. Spiderman swings in, beats the hell out of the guy, webs him up a leaves. Maybe the guy suffers brain damage. He at least suffered the mental and physical trauma of being assaulted. Was spiderman being responsible with his power or does he suffer the hubris of believing that he is better than others because of his power and therefor can sit in judgement of them?

yeah man someone should make a comic book or something about the ramifications of vigilantism and superhero ethics

also spiderman don't give a fuck

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #379 on: September 01, 2011, 06:24:22 PM »
Thoughts on the New Arcadia Metahuman convention

blog post by Thinker

The metas are already descending on the city. Soon there will be thousands of them talking, sharing, discussing, partying, arguing and learning from each other (hopefully not fighting too much) and I am gleefully awaiting to see the chaos. However, we are almost at the 2 year anniversary of Ragnarok and it's hard to believe how much the world has changed. Some observations:

1. Governments, corporations and other large institutes have failed to meaningfully integrate metahumans: Most pundits thought that we would see legions of super soldiers and cops deployed by the governments of the world shortly after Ragnarok but we haven't. It seems that all of these organizations have structural impediments in getting metas and normal people inside the org to work together. I could go into great detail about this but the fact remains that no bureaucracy is able to handle metas well enough to keep pace with the underground arms race of power development.  Even criminal cartels failed in this respect (outside of the syndicate, which fell to the New Ideal)

2. As a corollary: metahumans are mostly unsuited to lead large organizations of normal humans. It's not that they lack the skills or savvy to do so but once you become a metahuman, your attitude changes. You don't care about the same issues that would motivate you to lead an organization. That's why we don't see hyperminds dominating the Fortune 500. They see it as a waste of their time.

3. Religion has failed to soothe the masses: Religious leaders that declared Ragnarok as the End Times now look foolish. Others can't settle on a doctrine for metas and powers that their flocks agree on.

4. The more powerful you become, the more you care: Metahumans seem to have an exaggerated sense of idealism and morality. Even the ones we would call villains almost always have some strict code of conduct. I think it's partially a defense mechanism to keep you sane from the stress of coming to terms with your new powers.

5. Non-combat powers are much more useful than previously thought: With thousands of 'amateur' metas with so called 'useless' or utility powers out there, we are seeing a wide variety of applications - new tech, medical uses, environmental cleanup, the arts and more

6. The governments of the world will overreact and they will fail: The harder they push, the more damage they cause to themselves.

7. The New Ideal rocks! Seriously they are the only vigilante group with their heads on straight - no racism like those assholes in New York, no incompetence like the Russian hooligans, no corporate selling out like the London idiots and they only have one fascist (Chirop the protestor beater) That's awesome!

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #380 on: September 01, 2011, 07:25:26 PM »
I love the hero universe you guys have created.

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 01, 2011, 08:24:46 PM »
Two episodes in and I am fucking HOOKED.
Ross, I hope you don't mind, I am stealing the shit out of your setting and hooks. Soon as my gaming group settles down and gets playing again, I am running Heroes of New Arcadia for them. :P
Any chance of a kickstarter supplement / Arc Dream letting you tool out your own sourcebook?

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 05, 2011, 04:04:06 PM »
nothing like a superhero convention in a STREET LEVEL GAME. They should all be depressing, frank miller esque, watchmen characters.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #383 on: September 05, 2011, 11:01:39 PM »
SPIDERMAN NOT GRIM AND GRITTY ARGLE BARGLE

Jason

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 08, 2011, 06:07:48 AM »
Peracles is a helpful NPC that has been hired to help keep crime down while the PCs deal with other stuff.
What?!  When did this happen?  I miss a week and Peracles is back...not to mention with more powers and a resume.  I'm so happy I brought him out of Lemuria!

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #385 on: September 18, 2011, 02:47:18 AM »
DOUBLE LENGTH EPISODE

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

Z

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 18, 2011, 12:44:16 PM »
DOUBLE LENGTH EPISODE

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

Salkovich

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • Concupiscent Piranha of the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 18, 2011, 04:12:48 PM »
DOUBLE LENGTH EPISODE

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

ROSS PAYTON IS BEST PAYTON

Does this one have the second half of the PCs in it?
"It's heresy. Burn the heretics." - Ross Payton NEVAR FORGET
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #388 on: September 18, 2011, 05:20:34 PM »

beej

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile