Author Topic: The Heroes of New Arcadia - RPPR Superheroes campaign - Wild Talents  (Read 577517 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: The Heroes of New Arcadia - RPPR Superheroes campaign - Wild Talents
« Reply #585 on: March 28, 2013, 04:11:55 PM »
That's really cool.

QuickreleasePersonalitY

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • if you see your self on the road, kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 28, 2013, 04:29:24 PM »
nice Kirby spots :3
pretentious i am
lest pretentious i become

Review Cultist

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 28, 2013, 04:48:43 PM »
I thought it would be a nice touch. ;D

Liquid Water?

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 28, 2013, 09:23:11 PM »
Holy Crap! That is awesome review cultist! Thanks!

I'm imagining the whole campaign cutesy now and i love it.

SageNytell

• We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 28, 2013, 09:55:18 PM »
Thank goodness you drew the version post-sweatpants.  ;D

Teapot

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 28, 2013, 11:06:41 PM »
That's pretty awesome. However I always imagined him with a bit of a beer gut. The expressions are perfect.

joecrak

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 28, 2013, 11:57:49 PM »
I'm going to miss Median....

Also...who the heck is going to be the de facto team leader now?
Freedom is not a license for chaos.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #592 on: March 29, 2013, 02:27:02 AM »
Had a crazy ass game tonight.

The PC who killed the demon last game tried to take on another entity this time. Ended up being one of the angels. He lifted her car into the air to drop it from way high but she had a non-physical attack that damaged willpower and managed to get off several shots on him and drained his willpower completely. Since his flight (and several other powers) required willpower investment they failed and he fell to his death while the angel just flew out of the car. This was pretty close to the start of the game and he spent most of the rest of the game trying to come up with new characters that would work well with the group.

The rest of the part eventually decided to reinstate previous Overwatch policy and used the moon base AI to basically take over the telecommunications network of Earth and remove Overwatch technological information. The AI is basically a Seed AI, right out of Eclipse Phase, and most of the PCs seem to think it's just a talking computer. They haven't figured out that it's a thinking, feeling entity that is vastly more intelligent than they are that is only doing what they tell it to because 1) it follows Overwatch guidelines since it's a member of the organization and 2) what they want happens to line up with what it wants at the moment.

When they presented their plan to their allies the scientist group who specialized in alien technology objected because they believed people had a right to information and technology and that Overwatch had no right to restrict what other people could and could not have. When the group leader wouldn't reliant that total information lock out was the right choice they teleported him into a holding cell, took away all his alien tech gadgets, and then brought him back to show him they were in charge. He said he'd gotten into a base before he could do it again so they put him back into holding on the moon and then used the moon base AI to lock down the base he and his crew had taken over and took away all of their gear (all the stuff they could take anyway).

Now their trying to figure out how to talk to the various world leaders who are trying to figure out what happened. They had the AI inform everyone Overwatch had done it but they didn't reveal themselves. So now every major military power in the world knows Overwatch is active again and that their networks have been accessed by an external hacker with skill they had never imagined (Overwatch had never had the AI do anything of this level prior). So now there's world wide riots to varying degrees which has caused the US government to call in private security firms like AEGIS Security (which uses legally acquired American super soldier technology and equipment) to supplement conventional civil security along with mobilizing the national guard.

Next game they'll be figuring out how they want to try and keep control with the world now in flux due to the sudden, radical return of Overwatch.

Also their allies have seen exactly how the PCs deal with people standing up to them and are quietly making backup plans.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #593 on: March 29, 2013, 02:35:33 AM »
Why did the PC attack the entity in the first place?

How Overwatch keep the seed AI under control?

How many sessions do you give the game before the entire universe rises up to strike the PCs down? They are making a lot of enemies very fast and don't seem to realize the value of loyal allies.

Teapot

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 29, 2013, 03:13:06 AM »

I fear that may be a silly question...

SageNytell

• We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 29, 2013, 08:14:23 AM »

Oddly enough James always seemed to be the backup leader in Global tier when Norm was missing, I'm wondering if he'll step up like that again.
Or the Martyr will take control and the team will be run by a teenager, either way.  ;D

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #596 on: March 29, 2013, 12:43:20 PM »

In-character: he sensed corruption coming from it. Out-of-characer: he wanted something to do. The rest of the group was locked in indecision about what they wanted to do. The problem is that they keep escalating the situation, reaching up to higher and higher levels of complication until now they find themselves on a moon base being asked to direct a new version of Overwatch. They didn't have to do that but they did and now they don't know what they want to do and they go around and around in a circle. The PC who staged the attack just wanted to actually do something proactive.

How Overwatch keep the seed AI under control?

It has comic book style contrivance fail safes that can prevent it from doing much without Overwatch permission. It's also a fully sentient/sapient being who just happens to be electronic; it can make creative choices and moral distinctions if it wants to and it happens to agree with Overwatch's ideals (which is why they let it run the moon base).

Honestly the AI isn't actually under control right now; it just has personal restraint. Two of the PCs keep trying to out logic the computer or figure out a way to get rid of it; they don't seem to realize what they're dealing with. None of the PCs actually out rank the computer. In fact only one of them is even on level with the AI but they keep telling it to do things and (because the things they want done line up with the AI's goals) it does them so they think they have control of the situation.

How many sessions do you give the game before the entire universe rises up to strike the PCs down? They are making a lot of enemies very fast and don't seem to realize the value of loyal allies.

Maybe two. Yeah, they have no loyal allies what so ever at this point. No one is going to stand up for them at all. And they still haven't done anything to investigate what actually happened to Overwatch. They know that all of them went through a dimensional anomaly... and that's about it.

The AI was asking them to get a ship ready to go check it out. They said no. The high clearance PC has been being privately pressured by the AI to prepare for an expedition to try and find Overwatch and has been saying no. He finally countered by say they could send some probes so maybe they'll be able to get that going before the rebellion.

I thought the end game would be the PCs and their allies against a returned Overwatch but it looks like it's going to be the PCs, alone, against every major nation on Earth and the scattered hero groups that (ironically) they helped introduce to each other.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 12:59:17 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 03, 2013, 03:09:02 PM »

Oddly enough James always seemed to be the backup leader in Global tier when Norm was missing, I'm wondering if he'll step up like that again.
Or the Martyr will take control and the team will be run by a teenager, either way.  ;D

I'm hoping Torchbearer gains a larger degree of "NORMality"....ha!

Well hopfully Torchbearer will act more like Norm in future episodes then we can have the same dynamic as before.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #598 on: April 08, 2013, 03:00:46 PM »
Game report from 4/4

So, we started out with the PCs helping put down the riots resulting from the mass data shutdown caused by their actions last game. The riots are actually complex to deal with due to the lack of digital tools (the AI shut down most internet functions and several "secure" servers it got access to over the 4 days it spent planning) so they weren't flash mob college kid riots; these were old school rage riots boiling with anger.

On one level it's simply angry citizens but it's also criminals looking to loot and low level Talents who actually understand what's happening. The police call in AEGIS to assist with defending major urban areas. The PCs assisted as well (since no one knows they are acting as Overwatch accept the other hero groups) and noticed several individuals moving against the crowd and entering an office building near the museum.

They investigated and found Armand, the first demon they met and helped out of a magical trap, barring their path forward. He explains the Arcane Underground is freeing entities forcely bound by magicians and that a stone with a bound entity inside of it is here in the building were the museum keeps some of it's pieces for storage. He and his allies intend to take it so they can free the entity. The PCs say he doesn't have a right to take other people's property and Armand counters that he isn't because no one can own another sentient being. They go around a little bit with the PCs demanding he justify his actions and Armand repeating he is justified in freeing a slave. He blocks them when they try to go past but one of the PCs manages to blind him and the other two run by.

They find another demon, an ogre, and an animated scarecrow. The ogre has ripped the vault door open. A brief scuffle takes place but neither side wants to actually hurt the other. The demon tries to use it's illusion powers but gets stopped. The ogre tries to put the vault door between the sides, like a wall, but gets shot in the hand and drops the door backwards (which was the shooter's goal). The scarecrow manages to use it's hyper-Coordination to zip into the vault and pick the locks on everything inside until it finds the stone. Upstairs the team magician continues to keep Armand busy and actually takes time to consider what Armand is, determining he isn't a possessed humans but a sort of hybrid spirit in which the demon and human both reside willingly. Armand finally gets free of the blinding spell and runs down to join the others, destablizing the building with one of his own powers and then teleporting the Underground agents away with the stone (one PC managed to get a lasso onto the stone but didn't pull it free of the scarecrow's grasp).

This lead into a huge arguement between two of the PCs about their relationship with the Arcane Underground. One is convinced the whole group is out to free demons and that that is a bad thing. The other thinks, yes, more demons is probably bad but that isn't all that they do and, farthermore, they might be willing to work with the PCs if they tried diplomacy. So this becomes a big deal with one side convinced they have to try and at least open communications with the Underground and the other convinced if they do then the Underground will think they are too weak to act as Overwatch (which is totally true).

In the end one PC goes alone to the bar were they know Underground agents drink and finds Armand. Armand explains things are tense with the Arcane Underground since the murder of a respected demon and the attempted murder of a major angel which resulted in that same angel being badly traumatized. The other factions smell blood in the water and it looks like they might close ranks to cut off the demons and angels (both fairly recent additions to the Underground movement). He also assures the PC that he and his allies are still planning to push forward the Neo-Hell plan, just as the angels are pushing their own Earthly beach head.

To try and make a connection, the PC does to meet with the "leader" of the Arcane Underground, an avatar of the Personification of Death. Death explains that demons and angels are freshly returning to the world now that Overwatch isn't barring the gates anymore and are getting their first real taste of freedom. He explains that Hell and Heaven are both top down states ruled by individuals with absolute power: the King of Hell and the High Angel, and that these individuals have kept their people suppressed and locked into a single mindset for as long as any of them can remember. But when they come to Earth and experience a lesser rule, like humans have, they quickly become enamored with the concept. That's why demons and angels have joined the Underground and why they both are planning methods to make Earth a new home for themselves.

The last PC, who had to make a new character this game since he'd died last time, spent the game trying to make contact with the other PCs in game. He also managed to track down and discover the identity of one of the group's oldest "villains", a super-martial artist who has been killing scientists. His secret identity is a lawyer and the PC will be using him to try and get his powers legally recognised by the city. That side-story is going to be interesting.

This week they'll be dealing with the reactions of the minor Talents across the world as well as the major nations response to having their citizens and property ransacked by an outside force.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #599 on: April 12, 2013, 03:12:03 PM »
The cards all came tumbling down last night. We ended up ending the campaign.

I don't even really know how to summarize what happened; it was a chaotic mess.

First major event: US abolishes the Cape Laws but institutes a policy of amnesty for Talents who have not committed any crimes apart from having their powers. Everyone in the US, with powers, had one week to go to a federal office and fill out a form stating who they are and what powers they have. If their powers are part of their being, they aren't effected. If their powers are external they have to register them like they would a piece of equipment based on potental danger.

One of the PCs (the one who had to make a new character last session) actually went in to register. That was actually a fun scene because the character is a time traveler so filling out paperwork is complicated.

After I describe the above we kick off about an hour of circular arguements, in and out of character, getting everyone basically nowhere. Long story short one of the players tried to kick of an apocalyptic event and failed. This still managed to destory about 7% of the world's population. The PC was killed as part of this.

This lead to them trying to leverage their role in saving the world against the world governments to prove they have to have absolute power as Overwatch. The US agreed someone needed to beable to protect the world but wanted Overwatch to be subject to review of their actions and to be accountable for things they might do in the act of saving the world. One PC was OK with this and the other was absolutely against it.

I think I just sort of called it there.

Bummer of an ending to a mostly fun campaign.