Author Topic: Campaigns You Would Run If You Had The Time And Players And Energy  (Read 89061 times)

Murph

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Re: Games you would run if you didn't have the players that you do
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2009, 05:04:16 PM »
Houses of the Blooded or HotB has a kindgom building system also.  It's how they impliment the "level up" mechanic.  Every season you can hire more dudes, conquere more land, learn better swordsmenship, trade and manufacture, produce art, etc.  It's the best concept for "leveling up" non-combat PCs I've seen.

The guys at Bear Swarm have a nice AP, followed by a review.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2009, 05:08:24 PM »
That sounds pretty cool. And it also sounds like something my players would never go for.

Also reminds me of another game I'd like to play: the ultra-rich variant in nWoD presented in City of the Damned. It was designed for Vampires: The Requiem but works for any of the systems. You play characters who make movements on the city scale, seizing, controlling, and protecting property, wealth, and influence.

Really? Awesome. I'll have to check that out. I want to run The Wire as a campaign.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2009, 05:38:51 PM »
Really? Awesome. I'll have to check that out. I want to run The Wire as a campaign.

It's the kind of thing I think you'd enjoy. The system mostly focuses around the use of liquid vs. solid assets. For example, you spend points to represent used or lost liquid funds.

So you might spend a point to gain control of a city section by buying it out. Or you might spend a point to represent money lost by underselling a competting baron in their market (you take a short term hit and they have a revenue source undercut).

I know my players could never handle it but it's fun to imagine. The book comes with a prebuilt city for players to fight over.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2009, 12:31:28 AM »
You're talking about city of the damned: New Orleans right? I flipped through it today but I didn't the city rules. Oh well.

Anyway, I want to run Scion again. I just looked at the Scion companion, which has rules for the American Pantheon - be an avatar of Uncle Sam, Columbia (Lady Liberty) or John Henry. Fuck. Yeah.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2009, 01:27:38 AM »
I need to get the Scion books, it looked fucking amazing but I never picked any of them up.

Slight misprint on my part. The book I have is "Damnation City". It's a massive 400 page source book for Vampire: The Requiem.

The two new player styles detailed are "Barony", which focuses on ownership and control of city sections and domains. Typically this means characters who are Vassals or Regents, those just below the ruling Prince of a city. The style is still focused around the more typical, street level character, but who has some power (etheral political power rather than in game, given stats sort of power) to swing around.

Primacy, the mode I noted above, is playing the power behind the throne. The Prince of the City becomes the major NPC with the PCs trying to out manuver their enemies and attempt to control the Prince as Dukes would control a King.

The presented style rules are fairly easy to impliment or change as needed for what you want to do.

New styles aside the book as a literal city comprised of fifty districts (each with a short write up) with overlay maps of the main districts, the major streets, the freeway, the subway, and the sewers.

My personal favorite section, from nearly any White Wolf book, is called "One Hundred People You Haven't Met Before", a list of one hundred NPCs, each with a descrption and background sentence that you can drop in anywhere, followed by the section "Fifty Things People Want". I can't describe how useful these sections have been in using NPCs in my games.

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2009, 06:03:59 PM »
Quote from: clockworkjoe
Anyway, I want to run Scion again. I just looked at the Scion companion, which has rules for the American Pantheon - be an avatar of Uncle Sam, Columbia (Lady Liberty) or John Henry. Fuck. Yeah.

Can I be Whiskey Jack from American Gods?
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2009, 11:31:32 AM »
You're talking about city of the damned: New Orleans right? I flipped through it today but I didn't the city rules. Oh well.

The Scion one-shot you ran based on the movie Smokin' Aces was absolutely amazing. Speaking of which, do you still have your Pegacorn? If so, can you take a picture of him and post it? I can't believe I found that thing.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2009, 11:47:33 AM »
The Scion one-shot you ran based on the movie Smokin' Aces was absolutely amazing.

That does sound like alot of fun.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2009, 01:06:23 PM »
The Scion one-shot you ran based on the movie Smokin' Aces was absolutely amazing.

That does sound like alot of fun.

Basically each player played a different hitman and we were all competing to see who could get to the top of the building first.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

codered

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Don't Hate!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2009, 12:20:58 PM »
I want to play an exualted game some time
Kenders Rock

mathey

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Campaigns You Would Run If You Had The Time And Players And Energy
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2010, 12:05:15 PM »
If you're a RPG nerd like me (and I know you are - look, an obnoxious wink smiley  ;)), you probably spend at least some part of your day thinking up campaign ideas utilizing assorted systems that may or may not exist yet. At times, these thoughts interrupt your productivity in work, personal relations, in the bathroom, or waiting in line to buy Potted Meat Product. It can be vexing. But, wait, dear reader! Be Vexed No More! Utilize this thread to purge yourself of your roleplaying campaign ideas so others may exploit them or at least commiserate about the fact you'll never, ever get a chance to run or play it! Sharing is caring! Etcetera!

My current list:

Sleepwalk: I came up with this idea before Inception was ever mentioned to me. Honest. The basic premise is that several strangers (PCs) begin to experienced shared, lucid dreams in which they alone possess the knowledge to stop some sort of terrible psychic threat. The "bad guy" would therefore be some collective subconscious boogeyman that has gained self-awareness and is haunting the PCs and/or society at large. Each session would be a different dream with its own weird physics and roles for the participants, perhaps requiring house rules or tweaks. If I were to run it right now, I'd probably try Wild Talents 2nd Edition, with some cafeteria style powers prepared to emulate the dream personae abilities PCs take on. I thought about making the Big Twist the fact that "reality" wasn't and the dreams were, but after that fucker Nolan did his movie that'd seem redundant. Use of Santo and Johnny's guitar instrumental of the same name required.

One Hundred Killers: The PCs are badass mercenaries and assassins in the vein of 90's action movie heroes like Leon, La Femme Nikita, and The Killer. They collectively earn the ire of a secret society of professional murderers (ever see The Killer Elite?) and have to shoot, punch, stab, and defenestrate their way through the titular one hundred hitmen. Just one intrigue laden murderous set piece after another, with occasional breaks for heartfelt confessionals and grim flashbacks. I'd want it to be cinematic but fairly lethal, as its traditional for movie assassins seeking redemption to die before achieving their goal in some sort of karmic retribution. I ran this when I was younger, and I made the tragic mistake of switching the system every session. If I was running it again, I might use a stripped down version of Spycraft 2.0.

All Mages Must Die: I was in this one really awful, horrible Ars Magica campaign once with a bunch of SCA people, and it gave me this idea. The world is a boring-ass historically accurate medieval setting with petty tyrants, dirty peasants, and a handful of dull-ass snotty magic users who spend all their time masturbating over ritual spellbooks and collecting mushrooms. Its been like that forever. The stagnant state of the world is actually the fault of the mages, seeing as they can consciously (and subconsciously) tweak reality to fit their own worldview. The PCs are a ragtag bunch of misfits who have had enough of their bullshit and set out to topple them by hitting them really hard with pointy sticks. The cost in lives is likely to be horrible, but it'll be worth it just to wipe off the smug smirks off of those sorcerous assholes' faces. ...Ahem. Yeah, it was a bad Ars Magica game, and yes, its another premise where the PCs are trying to kill a lot of people. For system, I'd consider D&D 4th, with purely Martial PCs.

Okay, I've got others, but that'll do for a starter. Post yours!

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
Re: Campaigns You Would Run If You Had The Time And Players And Energy
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2010, 02:14:32 PM »
A multi session CoC game, but my players are too used to D&D and their characters being badasses.

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2010, 02:53:55 PM »
I like the idea about the players wanting the beat the shit out of magic users being piss-poor villagers. I probably wouldn't even go for 4th ed but give them yet another homebrew system to that instead of going after the mages like they would any other enemy. They'd have to come up with elaborate traps and plots to either maim or scare off the magic users.

Think about it, mage walking through the disgusting peasants village when he suddenly trips on a rope, lands face first in cow shit (featherfall ain't gonna getcha outta this one), the rope pulls on some candle which burns an bull's ass, getting him to start running making him pull on something else which finally ends up in more cow shit falling on the mage. The smelly players have a round of high fives.

Cyborg Justice I had an old homebrew system made for a game I never got to run. The players are living on a Mars Colony which consist of humans and cyborgs co-existing. The colony is destroyed by some radical cyborg terrorist group and the players reactivate years later. Various cyborg groups battle for domination and the players have to choose a faction or create one of their own. They can repair themselves using parts of other defeated cyborgs and even steal their weapons/limbs.

MAFIA I want to run a game where the players work or run the Mafia. No idea of the system, but I don't even know if I'd want to run this with my current players at all.

and of course, Masks of Nyarlothothep.

Arje

• Play by Post Dude. Malcontent.
  • Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2010, 02:56:03 PM »
I would play in the mage game. I would love to be the angry villager with dreams of humiliating a mage.
My new goal in life is to play D&D with Judi Dench