Author Topic: New world campaign  (Read 245124 times)

Salkovich

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • Concupiscent Piranha of the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
Re: New world campaign
« Reply #375 on: October 28, 2010, 01:28:33 AM »

[spoiler]

Locke and Pontifex

Ross is pretty good at playing a convincing old and somewhat emotional lich.  I’m surprised Pontifex puts up with Locke’s rebellious character.  Locke’s practically yelling at him that he’s going to try and betray him.  Everyone betrays him.

Locke and Genesa

Locke gives his phylactery to a woman who fell in love with him, and in the process completely shatters her heart.  I mean, he made it obvious to her that she was not good enough to live alongside him, but more than qualified to protect his phylactery.  I liked the way it was played out.  It’s a paradox that a scorned lover would swear to protect the life of the man that broke her heart, but it sounded believable.

Bad Barbarian

I know that Ross is a horrible person and all for not allowing players to mind control other players, but he kind of stepped out of form with Low Crag’s actions.  Near the end, Low Crag wanted to kill a messenger that was going to be sent out by the overthrown governor.  Everyone else in the party said “no” to killing the messenger, and Ross agreed with the group.  Ross pulled the DM’s rule and said Low Crag was not going to attack the messenger.  I can see how Low Crag’s proposed action could seem to be a random act of violence, but it also could have served a purpose story wise.  We don’t know what message the governor was sending out, but it would most likely have been about the overthrow of Old World power in the New World.  Hindering the transfer of intelligence to an enemy sounds like a good idea to me.

Just going off the Actual Plays, I think this is the first time that Ross outright said “no” to a player’s actions.  Perhaps RJ was acting more disruptive than he sounded in the AP, or Ross didn’t want to deal with the headache of RJ and Tom butting heads over the death of a messenger.   Either way, the game was awesome.

[/spoiler]

I get the feeling that Ross really enjoys roleplaying Pontifex, it's one of the few NPCs he really seems to get into.

I loved the Locke and Genesa scene, it was fairly poignant for me. The moment when she asks him to drop the illusion and then just says "...fine."

I kinda felt like Ross stopping Arje right then was to try and avoid a de-railment; the players were literally at the head of a mob, about to overthrow the government - something that has been being led up to since ep 12, as Dan mentioned - and Arje is trying to commit a random act of violence. Yes, it can be argued that killing the messenger would be a good way to divert intelligence, but it was more important for the dramatic scene unfolding not to be destroyed.
"It's heresy. Burn the heretics." - Ross Payton NEVAR FORGET
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #376 on: October 28, 2010, 01:54:05 AM »
[spoiler]The reason I overruled RJ's decision to kill the dude was because the other player characters would have physically prevented him from doing so and striker or not - RJ couldn't stand up to the entire party by himself. It would have turned into a fight. Even if RJ was successful in killing the messenger, the players would have raised him from the dead. I didn't want to get into a PVP scene in the first game especially one with the new guy vs the established party. [/spoiler]

Salkovich

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 28, 2010, 02:09:33 AM »
[spoiler]The reason I overruled RJ's decision to kill the dude was because the other player characters would have physically prevented him from doing so and striker or not - RJ couldn't stand up to the entire party by himself. It would have turned into a fight. Even if RJ was successful in killing the messenger, the players would have raised him from the dead. I didn't want to get into a PVP scene in the first game especially one with the new guy vs the established party. [/spoiler]

I can just imagine that - right at the moment of greatest drama, a huge fight breaks out in the governor's office with Wyatt just standing there, watching.

Crafty guy probably woulda used the opportunity to escape, make it to Soren.
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

Alexander

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 28, 2010, 02:21:42 AM »

That makes sense.  Good thinking to keep the party together and the story moving along its full speed.  I'm thinking the reason that this hasn't come up in the past is that none of the other new players in the AP's have outright gone against the established group.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #379 on: October 28, 2010, 02:32:33 AM »
Oh they have and I usually allow it but in this case, I deemed it physically impossible for RJ's character to accomplish what he wanted to do so why bother?

Zeriken

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 13, 2011, 12:43:39 PM »
Out of curiosity, is Pontifex's name a tribute to H.P. Lovecraft?
Magadheera - Must find sub of this movie.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #381 on: January 13, 2011, 01:39:27 PM »
Out of curiosity, is Pontifex's name a tribute to H.P. Lovecraft?

nah

I like Roman/Latin names

because I am a nerd

Zeriken

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 13, 2011, 02:00:34 PM »
Lol, the thing that got me into asking that was the story Rats in the Walls, where this guy finds some words written in a cavern hidden underneath an altar in his basement. There, one of the words written is 'Ponti'. I immediately thought of the NWC's Pontifix.
Magadheera - Must find sub of this movie.

Salkovich

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 15, 2011, 04:07:53 PM »

So this is how the dark spiral aura works, right? CURRRRSE

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #384 on: January 21, 2011, 04:42:29 PM »
found this while looking through mah old emails - early sketch of the grippli cave by Josh Hunter

Salkovich

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 21, 2011, 04:50:48 PM »
That is very, very cool.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #386 on: January 23, 2011, 11:16:58 PM »

Salkovich

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 24, 2011, 11:12:27 AM »
Whoever it is, it's brilliant. A++ well done.

Salkovich

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 26, 2011, 08:33:49 PM »
Hey Ross, just out of curiosity, how many games are left un-posted in NWC?

Salkovich

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 24, 2011, 01:17:01 AM »
Rez'ing this, sad neglected thread that it is.

What do you guys think is actually down in the Frost Giant's digging site?

Lemurian Ruins? or the elusive Machine?