Author Topic: New world campaign  (Read 243265 times)

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
Re: New world campaign
« Reply #390 on: February 24, 2011, 04:45:33 PM »
Gold Plated Deagles.

I mean, the machine.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Salkovich

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • Concupiscent Piranha of the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 24, 2011, 10:33:52 PM »
I'm okay with this.
"It's heresy. Burn the heretics." - Ross Payton NEVAR FORGET
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

Guy

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 03, 2011, 03:57:45 AM »
I have a new world related question. Maybe this is already in one of the primers but I figured I would force someone to answer me online instead of doing the research myself.

We know all about the Water and Fire spirits, a theoretical Earth Spirit doesn't seem hard to characterize, but I believe I've heard Ross mention an Air Spirit before, but nothing about him/her.

What kind of traits does the air spirit have? Do the water barons meet it later?

I was wondering because I'm using a handful of elementals in a campaign of my own, and realized I have little idea on how to characterize the air.

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #393 on: March 03, 2011, 11:38:47 AM »
I don't think I ever really established this in the Gaidenverse, but I felt as if the wind spirit characterizes travel and adventure and it was actually the wind spirit that protect and guided Cortez to the New World in order to overthrow the gods that had taken away the emphasis on the elements.

Both are outlined in the Primer on page 27 and 28, but they differ from my own interpretations.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #394 on: March 03, 2011, 11:47:27 AM »
I've always enjoyed casting Air as capricious. The wind blows for days and then stops or suddenly changes direction or whips itself into a tornado and then just stops because it doesn't want to blow anymore.

I also like to mix in the odd science elements. Air is thinner higher up, so the Air Spirit will be dumber and weaker the higher up it is, making it most powerful right at the place where the sky and the earth meet. Winds are effected by heat so making the Air Spirit's mood effected by whatever Fire happens to be doing at the time is also fun.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #395 on: March 26, 2011, 01:53:59 PM »

Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 29, 2011, 01:04:27 AM »
I'm still really surprised there isn't more authentic native slaughter going on in the new world campaign. I mean besides the ogres.

Seejo Crux

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • High INT, Low CHA. Tend to be social misfits.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 29, 2011, 07:30:20 PM »
I'm still really surprised there isn't more authentic native slaughter going on in the new world campaign. I mean besides the ogres.

I was so far behind in the Actual Plays that I hadn't heard about this until yesterday. And I was sad when it happened. :(

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #398 on: March 29, 2011, 07:38:01 PM »
it wouldn't be a D&D campaign unless there was at least some wholesale slaughter of a primitive tribe of humanoids.

Seejo Crux

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • High INT, Low CHA. Tend to be social misfits.
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 30, 2011, 11:31:14 AM »
it wouldn't be a D&D campaign unless there was at least some wholesale slaughter of a primitive tribe of humanoids.

Then why can't it be Locrag's tribe that gets slaughtered? At least Locrag doesn't appeal to me. Even if his wife is super-hot.

Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 24, 2011, 10:00:50 PM »
speaking of locrag, does RJ not return for any more games? i always feel bad for him, becuase he's always right but everyone treats him like he's just some crazy barbarian. really, the whole bias of the whole group (ross included) in thinking he's a dumb barbarian was painful. when he brings up the fact that he's never portrayed himself as such, there was little response.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 25, 2011, 07:21:15 AM »
speaking of locrag, does RJ not return for any more games? i always feel bad for him, becuase he's always right but everyone treats him like he's just some crazy barbarian. really, the whole bias of the whole group (ross included) in thinking he's a dumb barbarian was painful. when he brings up the fact that he's never portrayed himself as such, there was little response.

I think the main problem was that he entered late into an existing campaign and he had a character who had a much different personality than all of the others. The other players had seen the personalities of the other characters develop over time so knew how to handle them.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #402 on: April 25, 2011, 04:01:42 PM »

I don't anyone thought of him as a dumb barbarian but as a headstrong barbarian that didn't care what anyone else wanted, especially in the first session he's introduced. He tries to murder a NPC that no one else wanted dead when all of the other players wanted said NPC alive and were standing next to said NPC. That's a bit disruptive and left a bad first impression I think.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #403 on: May 11, 2011, 02:47:00 AM »
I counted up the last episodes of the New World campaign. Anyone want to know how many are left or would prefer it to remain a surprise?

beowuuf

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • DM.com - forums dedicated to a 25 year old PC game.
« Reply #404 on: May 11, 2011, 03:25:55 AM »

Sad surprise