Author Topic: Eclipse Phase  (Read 605462 times)

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
Re: Eclipse Phase
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2011, 11:43:39 PM »
Might as well hang your brain from your belt loop and relay on the goodness in people's hearts to levae it alone.

New character intro: So I tied my brain to my belt, which was the style at the time...
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2011, 03:28:21 AM »
Hopefully, someone will survive getting off of Thought on Monday.  Since Bartelby has a TacNet, as long as one person gets their stack off the station in one piece, everybody will at least be able to catch up in terms of evidence and how they died.

No one was paranoid enough to spring for the emergancy implanted back-up caster? No one was ghost riding an alpha fork? Might as well hang your brain from your belt loop and relay on the goodness in people's hearts to levae it alone.

honestly i'm more concerned with losing my expensive as hell morph and most of my gear.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2011, 11:41:16 AM »
honestly i'm more concerned with losing my expensive as hell morph and most of my gear.

Eclipse Phase: "My brain is insured but my ass isn't and I keep my wallet in my back pocket."

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2011, 01:00:35 AM »
Yaaay we all survived but we did make some new friends (read: enemies that fucking hate us - scum drug dealers and the Nine Lives Cartel)

I had a random idea I want to develop:

Wikipedia entry:
Mesh image boards

All standard mesh OS systems include built in message board systems - modeled after the predominant message board system of the late Internet/early mesh - 4chan. While system admins can disable these built in image boards, many leave them on, either using them or forgetting about them. As they are relatively simple and can't be used to deliver XP or simulspace content, most mesh users aren't even aware of their existence. However, skilled mesh users and those restricted to low bandwidth mesh access use image boards frequently to converse and trade interesting text, video, sound and images (hence the name).

All image boards come up with a standard list of sub-boards, typically listed as a 1 to 3 character extension. For example:

Technology -/g/
    Weapons - /k/
    Science & Math - /sci/

Image boards are often considered archaic but useful for gray market/socially ambiguous transactions. They are poorly policed, as they are designed to make aid user anonymity and privacy. While these features can be altered to aid law enforcement, totalitarian and repressive governments almost always disable image boards as a rote action.

To check to see if your local mesh has image boards enabled, follow these instructions or have your muse run [this] script.

Wikipedia entry:
/RIP/ Image Boards

Due to the nature of mind scanning and resleeving technology, as well as near ubiquitous mesh access, there have been countless instances of persons about to die or dying still able to access the mesh in the moments before death. Slightly less common are cases where an individual is unable to be rescued before death yet still has free time. While individuals almost always focus their time on self-preservation, it has become increasingly common for people to simply communicate with others, waiting to die. This has become common enough that default mesh image boards have a sub-board dedicated for individuals to discuss their imminent death and other related topics. These are typically designated /RIP/.

The following post by an anarchist in the outer rim is believed to have started the trend:

So I'm about to die...
Posted by Starkillah Jones

Hey everyone, I won't make it to the party :\
My fukken hab is dead. GOdddamn tin can is busted and shit.
Still got power to broadcast and life support but engine is royally fucked
and I aint got enough supplies to fix it FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU
(oh the engine blew and shot the hab into deep space)
anyway lol I already farcast and shit but funny thing is I figured out how to broadcast
super low bandwidth - text and images only! but I figure I can talk for about 11 hours
I'm like super ded lololololololol

I bet mr.grim is going really fukken enjoy this shit. His whole "YO FUKKEn HAB IS SHITE" threads
will be goldmined now!  :D

o well

i dont even fukken care - this thing was a chick magnet for like MONTHS

"hey baby you want to take a tour in a piece of space history?" fukken 50 year old hab gets all the ladies

it was sooooo goood while it lasted lol

ASK ME ANYTHING!

(no XP requests for my death you scum fukks I AINT GOT THW BANDWIDTH FOR THAT - unless you want to get a ship to come get my stack then we can talk - PM NOW!!!!!! )
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 02:12:12 AM by clockworkjoe »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2011, 02:12:45 AM »
hahaha just saw in the main EP book

UZUMAKI
The target of this virus begins suffering from bizarre
fleshy growths. After four hours, their body literally
erupts with meaty “vines” or “tentacles” that warp
into spiral patterns. This process in icts 1d10 DV and
1d10 SV per hour to the victim until they eventually
transform into an unworldly expanse of  eshy growth.
In many cases, growth has continued long after a
character’s death, creating expansive carpets and vines
of skin and blood vessels, like some sort of bizarre
meat plant.

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2011, 03:03:40 PM »
Hey Ross,
While the idea of a futuristic version of 4chan is pretty interesting, I’m not sure if it would evolve that way in the setting that Eclipse Phase takes place. The Mesh has grown so much in this post-singularity future that it has no problems with bandwidth.

Quote from: EP core rulebook, page 236
Similarly, transmission capacity now far exceeds most citizens’ definition of need. Anyone born within the last several generations has always lived in a world in which hyper-realistic, multisensory media of nearly any length is available for instantaneous download or upload from anywhere. Massive databases and archives are copied back and forth with ease. Bandwidth is such a non-issue that most people forget it ever was.

In many ways, privacy has become such a luxury that most people live with their whole lives uploaded to the mesh; anyone can check your social network reputations, get basic information on you and the sorts of things you like or dislike by simply thinking about it. Privacy is normally only found in groups that have extremely secure Virtual Private Networks, access to Darkcast networks, or that use the sheer information overload in the mesh as a means to hide their own communications even if this does leave a permanent record somewhere.

I can see 4chan becoming such a normal part of life that most any site that allows for comments, or dedicated public boards will become a 4chan look-alike, especially as memes are hinted at having become tools for spin doctors to manipulate personal views, depending on the social cliques and political groups they are part of.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 03:07:07 PM by Dom »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2011, 03:38:04 PM »
Well - look at Usenet as a current comparison - it's outdated for discussions (for the most part) as there are better ways to talk about things on the Internet now. However, it still lingers because it's useful for certain groups like warez monkeys.

And while technical reasons might make bandwidth a non-issue, I can see certain factions throttling bandwidth - workers in a hypercorp factory/office might have severe bandwidth limitations in order to prevent them from wasting company time with XP or simulspace. Autonomists that are thousands of kilometers from each other might be limited when communicating with each other due to distance or interference. Repressive governments like the Jovian Republic would throttle bandwidth just because.

So in this case, people turn to archaic systems because they're so low-bandwidth and obsolete that the admins ignore or forget them.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2011, 05:15:06 PM »
Idea for a EP game: Based on this article - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8349414/African-mercenaries-in-Libya-nervously-await-their-fate.html

All PCs are infugees - given a chance to resleeve as 'security guards' for a hypercorp on an exoplanet - no skills required! Easy work! Free morph!

when they sleeve into a case morph, they are given guns and told to shoot protesting colonists on an exoplanet. Turns out that the hypercorp in a spectacular case of bad management decided to cut costs when putting down an insurrection on the exoplanet. Let's use infugees in cheap morphs because that's way cheaper than ultimate mercenaries!

Due to the piss poor management, there are chances for the PCs to defect. Or turn the tides in favor of their corporate masters. Then another gate is discovered that leads to the Fissure Gate (the one held by the autonomists)

Can you say proxy war?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2011, 05:22:43 PM »
I'm going to steal this story now and pay you back later.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2011, 05:29:25 PM »
one idea I had for it would be the use of fabbers and blueprints. No matter what side the players took, I would set it so that they would have had fabbers but very few blueprints available. In order to get new gear, they would have to acquire new blueprints. They would make good macguffins and treasure at the same time.

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
  • I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2011, 12:25:40 PM »
So if we are going to go to every other week, it is probably important that I keep a record of where we are at.  Otherwise, Ross will have no idea what to write in the description when he posts the EP campaign in the future (scheduled for around the time the universe dies from heat loss).  But I don't want to just throw up the intro description for the game like I've been doing, all boring-like.  So I think we need an NPC reporter of some kind for the posts.  I'm fishing for ideas.

Somebody wanna let me role-play their muse and write its automated reports to firewall? Wanna hear what Augustine thinks about what is going on? Want proxies to IM chat about your progress? Do you guys prefer a news-service to report the overall impact of your covert operations? If so, do you want Space Bill O'Reilly or Neo-Keith Olbermann? Other suggestions?

I could even take requests per session and switch it up.  It could be a fun way to keep track of what we've done so far, and I promise to actually keep up with it.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2011, 04:02:23 PM »
love it. love EP

but um, i love tom and caleb and the payton.

you know, but is cody in this campaign?

because cody > all the other rppr crewmembers

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2011, 04:29:09 PM »
I like the idea of muse updates in rotation; have each episode summaried by a different muse to give range and to keep the reader from gaining too much information before they actually listen to the episode.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2011, 04:36:26 PM »
love it. love EP

but um, i love tom and caleb and the payton.

you know, but is cody in this campaign?

because cody > all the other rppr crewmembers

Cody was in one episode - he was an explosive addition to the group.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2011, 04:37:27 PM »
hmmmmm