Author Topic: Rogue Trader: Between Session Thread  (Read 202514 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Rogue Trader: Between Session Thread
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2010, 12:21:37 PM »
The door crashes outwards, slamming down to create a small set of stairs. There is no sound since the air was flushed, only vibration. Metal dust drifts into the air, settling slower in the low gravity. The interior is dark and lights are quickly turned inward to push back the blackness.

A hallway extends to the left and the right, signs of structural damage from heavy las weaponry strikes all around. The floor feels firm under foot and the weapon team takes position while two heavy infantry move inside and sweep the hallways. A few seconds later both return, lasguns resting against the shoulders.

"No threats, Lord Captain," one replies, the helment to helment vox transmission touched with hints of static.

There is a louder burst of pure static and then Dominic comes out of the cockpick. His void suit had to be specially crafted to accomidate his twin mechanical arms. The tech priests had managed to craft it such that it sealed with the machinary at his shoulders. It was effective but it give the unsettling impression that he was walking about bare armed in the void.

Dominic reports that vox communication with the Valkryie has been completely compromised by the interference of the moon. However, the wreck seems to have stronger equipment since it's salvation becon was picked up from orbit. He wants to take a few men and go access this vessel's communications systems so he can restablish vox communications.

nbneil

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2010, 06:06:02 PM »
"I don't want to split up too much.  We don't know how far our vox will work.  We'll take a team of 20 men with us to find the communications equipment.  The rest will stay here to hold down the lander."

Astromancy Rolling 1d100:
(54): Total = 54

against 38 int (i may have used the wrong number in the last post) to see if I can guess the most likely direction to the comm equip.

Awareness Rolling 1d100:
(92): Total = 92

against 37 per to notice any danger and get a better feel what is down each hall

Moving forward will have the two heavy infantry at point, followed by a 5 regular infantry, the PCs are in the middle, and the remaining 15 men take up the rear.  Those left behind will take up defensive positions.
Check out the NerdBound podcast on iTunes or at NerdBound
Follow me on Twitter @nbneil

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2010, 06:15:22 PM »
Wow, way to botch that one Sarvus.

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2010, 05:38:45 PM »
If I don't have any idea which direction is the likely way to the comm. equipment.  I have the men lead the way to the hallways and look down each one to see what is there. 

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2010, 07:08:30 PM »
If I don't have any idea which direction is the likely way to the comm. equipment.  I have the men lead the way to the hallways and look down each one to see what is there.

I'll move the story ahead soon, I'm just drawing a bit of a blank for details at the moment.

Dominic assumes that it's left to get to the comm and right to get to the bridge but mentions this is an older ship for it's size and function than he's ever been on before so who really knows.

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2010, 09:48:23 PM »
Sorry, I'll try not to jump the gun.  I understand writer's block on these things for sure.  The Candlewick game on our forum has me hooked too, so it's no big deal.  It's already so different than Ross' scenario that I have no idea what will happen.  I can't wait to find out.

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2010, 02:54:18 PM »
Thought I would try to jump start this thread since our next Skype session seems to be gaining momentum. If you want to abstract it more like Ross does in the New World games that's fine too. We could describe our overall goals and strategy based on your questions and build from there. Macro over micromanagement and such. What do you think Tad?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2010, 05:01:22 PM »
Good idea Neil. We'll do quicker cuts. And our new buddy can jump into this thread to get a feel for things before the Skype game if he'd like to as well.

Okay, so you sweep the ship and discover the power is off but the comm equipment is passable so it becomes a simple matter of hooking the transport's power into the system to get enough vox strength to punch through to the main ship.

You also discover the bridge, which is devoid of anything biological. So far you haven't seen any bodies but given the holes in the ship they may have been thrown out during the crash.

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2010, 06:53:49 PM »
We'll head back to the lander. If nothing out of the ordinary happens, I order the men there to sweep the ship and stay in constant contact. The crew with us currently will stay with us to protect the lander and their retreat if necessary.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2010, 07:32:33 PM »
Do you want to search for anything specifically? You can order your men to basically tear the ship apart looking for physical objects. The ship's systems are currently useless due to lack of power and the lander doesn't have power to run both the comm and the bridge's computers at the same time.

ShotgunSurgeon

« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2010, 09:58:49 PM »
(OOC: The Gearus dialogue was nice. I loved Illian and Gearus so much I couldn't imagine Tad not doing the voices. I'll try to jump in here.... Let me know if this is a bit too detailed for the macro approach.

I like the idea of her using various voices depending on the situation-- almost as if there are other people inside of her. Nothing I could abuse in-play-- Just for flavor. Let me know what you think about that.

Edit: forgot to mention. I wasn't sure where the char. stats were posted. I sent Tad a PM so I should have my stuff together shortly.)

IC: Carin approaches meekly, taking care not to interrupt Trask's words. As a senior officer, her obeisance seems like almost a bit too much. Her voice is that of an older woman.

Lord-Captain... as you are well aware, travel through the warp can sometimes end poorly... With your permission, I might be able to sense if such was the plight of the ship... and if any disruptions in the immaterium linger here. It might help to have this knowledge before sending men to scour the ship. Only a suggestion, my Lord.

Basically trying to do a psyscience test to detect anything particularly warp-related here.

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2010, 10:06:59 PM »
OOC: I typed the following before Shotgun's post, so to not have to retype

IC: Do what you can. The lack of corpses is unnatural and I'd like to know what I'm up against.  I'm not about to lose good men for a ghost ship.

If it seems clear:

Start with the men looking for physical objects, but I order them not to destroy any vital components.  If they can't find anything, then I'll have Dom take a group of men (20) to investigate the ship's computer to scour the records for what happened.  Lorrayne and I will stay with a small contingent of men near the lander (assuming we can get Dom's vox signals).  In the event of an emergency, Lorrayne and I will take all but 10 men with us to help out and extract the remaining crew to the lander.

If it is warp-tainted:

Recommendations from Lorrayne, Dom, and Carin will be considered before acting.

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2010, 07:20:38 PM »
Shotgun, you gotta roll your psynescience or whatever it is.

ShotgunSurgeon

« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2010, 10:13:55 PM »
Apologies- didn't intend to hold things up.

Rolling 1d100:
(1): Total = 1

+10 bonus against 40 perception

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2010, 11:45:35 AM »
Uh you rolled a critical success on your first roll, no apologies necessary. This is the type of crew I've been looking for.  That's so fucking awesome.