Author Topic: Character Creation...  (Read 125350 times)

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
Re: Character Creation...
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2010, 06:32:17 PM »
I'm just a tad bit confused. For Thaumaturgy it say you can have 2 focus items. For evocation it says you can also have 2 focus items. You can have a total of 4 focus items, two for each type? Am I right?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2010, 06:35:45 PM »
I'm just a tad bit confused. For Thaumaturgy it say you can have 2 focus items. For evocation it says you can also have 2 focus items. You can have a total of 4 focus items, two for each type? Am I right?

That's correct. Look at Arje's character.

Bronnen

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2010, 06:36:07 PM »
You can have different focus items in different slots. Page 281 and before that shows you.

Arje

• Play by Post Dude. Malcontent.
  • Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2010, 06:40:21 PM »
As far as i can tell, you get 4 focus items slots....but they don't necessarily have to be 2 for thamaturgy and 2 for evocation. So since im stronger in thamaturgy than in evocation, i devoted all of my focus slots to evocation items....it just made more sense...

I've searched the book, but it seems to be ok, if anyone can point me at something that says the 2 free thamaturgy slots must be used for thamaturgy I will change them around.
My new goal in life is to play D&D with Judi Dench

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2010, 06:47:01 PM »
Yeah, that's what I'm wondering. I kind of want to focus my character around transportation and movement, seeing as how he's constantly on the move (and he can't control evocation magic very well), but I don't know if I can use the two evocation slots to give my only thamaturgy focus item some extra oomph.  

Ryo

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2010, 07:32:45 PM »
Don't worry about it. My character will literally step in the way of spells in order to stop innocent people from being harmed. That's why the Torc gives him protection from the supernatural.

Guns, knives, sharp sticks, rusty nails, however, will kill him.

Well what I was thinking was by dropping thamaturgy and filling it with sponsered magic, I'd have two points or whatever they are called left. Which I could use to buy Refinement 2, but I don't know if it would be a good idea or not.

ristarr

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2010, 07:35:51 PM »
Ristarr, going by the one at a time rule, gets to pick the next person to intergrate his character into their phase four, and it'll continue going until someone integrates their character into mine, then I'll pick a new person to go into phase five. This way everyone's happy!

Rudolph Fillian, come on down!

I should have something in a little bit.

Bronnen

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2010, 07:42:50 PM »
I can't wait, this is coming together pretty awesomely.

ristarr

• View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2010, 07:58:44 PM »
Rudolph Fillian 

Phase Four -- Whose path have you crossed?
Story Title -- What a bunch of animals
Guest Starring -- Lucky Barlow

The biker gang took over a local hangout while passing through.  The leader maneuvered a young lady of minor magical powers into a bad situation.  Enjoying his absolute control over her, he even gave her a way out, a game of chance to get her out of the jam.  She convinced a stranger into helping her.  A self-proclaimed professional gambler.  The leader didn't care, since he would be able to control the game with his magic. Or so he thought.

He ended up losing to the gambler and lost his power over the girl.  After he lost, he ordered his guys to make an example of the gambler.  Rudolph was getting pretty fed up with the bikers at this point, sabotaged their efforts and helped the gambler and the girl make their escape.

Bronnen

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2010, 08:02:53 PM »
Kroack is next to choose!

ristarr

• View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2010, 08:10:47 PM »
It seems like I may not be the strongest character in a fight.  He is really strong in the interpersonal skills and in some of the sneaky arts, with a little psychic ability to feel which way a die may fall.  He knows a lot of people and probably gets along with most of them.

Is he going to be powerful enough to hang around with a bunch of hocuspocusers?  Do I need to change some stats around for some fighting skills ( guns or fists maybe )?

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2010, 09:07:13 PM »
Rudolph Fillian  

Phase Four -- Whose path have you crossed?
Story Title -- What a bunch of animals
Guest Starring -- Lucky Barlow

The biker gang took over a local hangout while passing through.  The leader maneuvered a young lady of minor magical powers into a bad situation.  Enjoying his absolute control over her, he even gave her a way out, a game of chance to get her out of the jam.  She convinced a stranger into helping her.  A self-proclaimed professional gambler.  The leader didn't care, since he would be able to control the game with his magic. Or so he thought.

He ended up losing to the gambler and lost his power over the girl.  After he lost, he ordered his guys to make an example of the gambler.  Rudolph was getting pretty fed up with the bikers at this point, sabotaged their efforts and helped the gambler and the girl make their escape.

Kroack is next to choose!

Liking this. It's coming together nicely.
I get to choose? Awesome. I'm not sure who has already gotten a tie-in story yet, so I think I'll just choose Augustine Dyers. Should be done with it soon.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 09:09:41 PM by Kroack »

Ryo

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2010, 09:29:33 PM »
Say Arje is your guy focusing on the soft side of spirit or hard? I'm thinking of specializing in hard air, ie emotional magic, raw force, etc.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2010, 09:41:19 PM »
Question of the game master: Refinement specifically mentions Evocation and Thaumaturgy for specialization bonuses. Can Channeling gain the benefits of Refinement? Obviously it would only do so once at most since one can't climb higher up the skill list without additional focuses to apply to but I'd like to boost the power by 1 if I can.

Arje

• Play by Post Dude. Malcontent.
  • Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2010, 09:41:47 PM »
That was worded as a guideline, and given his discipline skill, and his aspects and story, I think he does both....he just can't summon anything outside of Spirit with any ooomph. Even his air and water discipline he'll be burning out at anything above 3 shifts....

So yeah, long story short, he can do veils and he can do force constructs.
My new goal in life is to play D&D with Judi Dench