Author Topic: The Heroes of New Arcadia - RPPR Superheroes campaign - Wild Talents  (Read 560785 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: The Heroes of New Arcadia - RPPR Superheroes campaign - Wild Talents
« Reply #525 on: November 14, 2012, 11:20:12 PM »
  the Talent (private investigator Theodore Valiant)

He dies. Someone drops a piano on him, from about six stories up.

I READ YOUR BOOK YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD

Pretty much his back story except that after the piano drop he was rebuilt by Dr. Panglos and now he can take a piano landing on him and come out of the rubble running.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #526 on: November 20, 2012, 05:54:15 PM »
Next game is tonight but I wanted to add the back issues of the Neo Detroit Tribune, the hand out I give the to PCs before we start playing each session.

Issue 4 (tonight)

Issue 3

Issue 2

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #527 on: November 20, 2012, 08:31:27 PM »
These are all great. I love the newsletter clip art and headlines.

What power level are your players at?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #528 on: November 21, 2012, 02:54:36 AM »
They started at 250; we're up to about 270-275 now (I do 3 points a session with up to 2 points added and we've played 6 sessions) so their beginning to create custom skills or buy off the defects in their powers. When I started the game I had them make 100 point normals and then they added 150 to them. Not everyone spent all 150 points on powers, most only used about 90 and put the rest into Skills and Stats.

Things went in multiple directions this week. Players looked into some personal things for awhile before slowly getting into some of the plot lines.

The trick shooter character was approached by one of the quasi-villains they've encountered, a guy called Demon Arm, asking for his help in pulling off a heist of some old relic statues. Demon Arm said that he needed to do it to uncover the identity of the person behind the surge in the popularity and availability of a party drug in the Magic District and that if the PC helped with the job he'd be able to get the answer to just about any question he wanted answered. The PC turned it down because he didn't want to steal from a museum. The group tipped off the museum and the police but the villain was able to pull off the heist anyway, getting the help of another villain and one of the PCs who just returned to the game and was playing a new character (he ended up playing the guy like a villain and got caught by AEGIS private security). After the PCs found out that the place got robbed they left a message with the police saying that they'd warned them (you know, to make friends).

Two of the player continued their fighting of street crime, beating up a mugger and busting up a drug deal. Both times the martial arts PC left tips to the police. They are aware that presently their more delaying crime than stopping it. For the drug bust they easily managed to disarm and knock out all of the party's involved (ten people), who they then tied up using the mooks' own clothes and called the police. They also took the cash all of the mooks had on then and half of the money being used for the drug buy. With so many people involved and since they robbed everyone the police really only managed to hold the group for awhile. When all of the "criminals" have concussions and state that they where attacked by Talents all that remains is possession of the actual drugs (the PCs took the guns so they couldn't even file weapons charges against the guys). One of the mooks took the fall for the drugs so his boss didn't have to and basically everyone else is going to walk sooner or later.

I pointed out that previously they didn't want to steal from a museum in order to get answers that would help them actually solve the drug problem in the district but were perfectly willing to basically mug some guys involved drugs and steal large amounts of cash from them; profiting from the ongoing drug problem. Their answer was more or less that "they are drug dealers, it's okay to steal from them". Didn't have a problem with that, I just think it's pretty good gamer logic. I think I might start referring to both of them as "Omar" (for those of you who've seen the Wire).

The other two PCs went to the mountains to check out the massive mining machine being brought in and, for reasons I don't remember and might not have been explained, decided to try and slow it down to keep the mountain from being burrowed into. Both players had telekinetic powers but with different effects. The subtle player started putting sugar into the engines of some parts of the machine (he actually drove back to town to get sugar after estimating how much he'd need) while the aggressive telekinetic caused a distraction by throwing a tree at the AEGIS guards. The aggressive telekinetic tried to drive away (leaving the subtle telekinetic on his own in the woods miles from town) but failed three driving checks in a row and crashed into a tree in the team's fairly new armored van. He had to make the rolls in the first place because the AEGIS super-sniper managed to blow out one of his tires before getting a shot off at the subtle telekinetic. The subtle telekinetic managed to limp off into the woods and wandered back to town after a few hours but the aggressive telekinetic had to use his powers to basically pull a tree over his crashed van to keep the AEGIS guys from finding him.

The biggest achievement of the night was the group making a deal with John, the autonomous automated factory who they recently helped get legally emancipated. Since John now owns himself he can work independently for whoever he wants (he's on Craig's list but he thinks EBAY is a scam) and the group managed to get him to credit them construction time in exchange for the help they'd given him getting some contracts with the squatters (making fabber parts) and acquiring rare materials for him to use in construction as well as helping upgrade him (adding an ethernet port so he could use a printer for a start). John is by far their favorite NPC at the moment and probably their best ally.

So, over all, no huge battles or events; just a generally positive game with two half-assed borderline incompetent plans from the PCs. Just like it's supposed to be!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 05:28:11 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #529 on: November 22, 2012, 11:30:55 PM »

So, over all, no huge battles or events; just a generally positive game with two half-assed borderline incompetent plans from the PCs. Just like it's supposed to be!

You sir, are correct.

The factory NPC ally is a great idea and I think I may steal it for Base Raiders.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #530 on: November 23, 2012, 12:20:39 AM »
Help yourself Ross.

The background I used is as follows:

John is one of a group of autonomous factories in Neo-Detroit. Six got built in the warehouse district and were managed by simple AI programs that sorted the orders for new goods, which got sent to the factory by e-mail or through inputs in the connected offices (basically just little shacks stuck to the side of the main factory). Only one (John) was equipped with a patterning AI in an attempt to have it learn to organize incoming orders for greater efficency.

Over the course of about three years John managed to gleen enough from interaction with the occational office staff and its work orders that it was able to make a minor intuitive leap and look for external information. So it started a blog. At first the blog appeared to be spam but over time as people responded and John learned more human word arrangement it became a sort of advise colume for order shipping, used by industry professionals.

Once humans were involved, John learned from them. By the time Overwatch (our Ideal) vanished, John had become self-aware enough to consider what he wanted to do since users on the blog seemed to talk about activities other than arranging orders. He started a new blog about what people do with their lives and the responses eventually convinced him that he had to live for himself. And so he started campaigning to have himself declared an independent being free from ownership.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 01:51:47 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 23, 2012, 01:49:58 PM »
Calling it now - I think at minimum Caleb will find employment in writing out the Leviathan, Kickstarter will make at least the 18K mark in the next 24 days. I'll even throw in a casual bet if someone will take it - I lose, I'll run a Skype game for forums-folk, you lose, you run a skype game. Any takers?

Alright, let no man say I don't keep my promises. It looks like there is a small possibility we'll be coming short of my guess, though we'll definitely be getting at least the 13K stretch goal for the NPCs. I've decided to run the first leg of the Monsters and Other Childish Things game I've been writing as a playtest, which should be ready to go a week or so after the Kickstarter ends. I need to be pointed in the right direction for a dice roller that handles ORE and a good Skype recorder. I'll have spots and pregens for up to 5 players, with two of those spots already set aside for Tad and Gorkamorka. Let me know if y'all want in.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #532 on: November 23, 2012, 02:04:48 PM »
I'm ready on my side of the deal too. Got some horrible torturous death.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #533 on: November 25, 2012, 02:16:02 AM »
Well I'm leaving the Paypal page up for one week to catch any stragglers or people that can't use Kickstarter. So far I've gotten an extra $45 from it. I'll post the total amount once that ends.

Anyway, I want to thank everyone that backed this project. Once Amazon clears the money, I'll start sending out the download login details for the preview AP episodes. I plan to send out the ebook for the short story Pariah around December 10 or so.  It's 10k words in length and Ean Moody is doing cover art for it. Playtest is scheduled to go out sometime in February. 

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #534 on: November 25, 2012, 03:23:29 AM »
On the note of paying off, we've got some Skype games to set up.

I'll be doing a two part Rogue Trader game; SageNytell and Gorkamorka get first seating because they were in on the bet too. I'll seat a total of four people, you'll get pre-gens, and I'll probably schedule the game to take place in January.

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 25, 2012, 03:43:45 AM »
Maw ha ha ha!
Victory!

I'll be waiting the spoils of war...well maybe not war...

Also happy that Baseraiders did better then I expected.
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 25, 2012, 08:39:54 AM »
Maw ha ha ha!
Victory!

I'll be waiting the spoils of war...well maybe not war...

Also happy that Baseraiders did better then I expected.

You were insufficiently optimistic, I was insufficiently pragmatic. What matters is the Kickstarter did well and it sounds like there'll be more for Base Raiders in the future via splat books, so I still get what I want.  ;D
My game'll seat a max of 5 players, Monsters and Other Childish Things for the system, pregens provided, and it'll probably take place sometime in early December if that's at all possible for scheduling and early January if not. Gorkamorka and Tad already have spots, sound off here or PM me if you'd like a spot.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #537 on: November 25, 2012, 03:43:58 PM »
Future Base Raiders source books:

Lairs and Hideous: While many bases resemble underground high-tech military bunkers, they are by no means the only type of base. Lairs and Hideous will expand the rules for base construction and present three unique lairs for your players to explore:

The Castaigne Estate: A mansion of non-Euclidian dimensions, built by an alien intelligence and used to house dangerous artifacts from beyond time and space. The powerful magic contained in the building have begun to leak out, contaminating the nearby city as well as making the interior dangerously unstable. Any raiders that venture inside will not only have to deal with arcane traps and guardians but the very architecture of the mansion itself, which shifts and changes at unpredictable intervals.

DIY Superpowers: Today’s heroes and villains are no longer chosen by fate or random chance, but are made by their own actions. Base raiders usually try to find ways to empower themselves using whatever means they can. This source book focuses on the many paths for self-empowerment, ranging from various super-soldier drugs to scanned copies of mystical grimoires. DIY Superpowers lists new power sources like:

The Curse of The Dark Pariah:
During the Cold War, the Soviet Union tried to engineer psychic super soldiers but abandoned their program after they accidentally created the Dark Pariah.  It was once a child with nearly unlimited psychic potential, the Dark Pariah’s physical body was destroyed but it lived on as an insane ghost with godlike psychic abilities. The Dark Pariah  is a powerful and terrifying entity that haunts and torments anyone cursed by this spell. However, this curse also protects the victim from other threats. The Dark Pariah does not appreciate anyone else hurting its prey. A few desperate base raiders have cursed themselves in order to use this power against their enemies - but is it worth the cost?

Preview AP episodes will include:

Fortunes of War, Iron Heroes campaign game 1 and 2

Eclipse Know Evil Annual game (played when I was in China)

World of Darkness: Inherit - a sequel to Anderson Island

and more!

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 25, 2012, 06:56:20 PM »
Well, if someone's kindly enough to let me mooch off their generosity and allow me take an open slot for a Skype game , I would definitely like to play. :D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 06:57:56 PM by Dom »

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 25, 2012, 11:38:04 PM »
Anyway, I want to thank everyone that backed this project. Once Amazon clears the money, I'll start sending out the download login details for the preview AP episodes. I plan to send out the ebook for the short story Pariah around December 10 or so.  It's 10k words in length and Ean Moody is doing cover art for it. Playtest is scheduled to go out sometime in February.

I'm going to need a solid DL for the proofreading on Pariah. You're getting ready to hit my semester crunch.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read