RPPR Episode 61: Post Gencon 2011 wrapup part 1

This year’s Gencon was so great, we will have to do two episodes to cover it all. In this episode, we bring RPPR regular Caleb to discuss his first impressions of the con and the games he ran and played in. We all talk about the newest games we picked up and Tom discusses the game he ran and other things he did.

I also interviewed George Strayton, creator of The Secret Fire, a new fantasy RPG. It’s a short interview but I added in place of Tom’s letter. He discusses the design philosophy behind the game, his background as a screenwriter and more.

Shout outs

Panopticon: The newest Eclipse Phase supplement.
Zombie Spaceship Wasteland: A hilarious book by Patton Oswalt.
Old School Hack: Awesome free rules-light RPG and gold Ennie winner.
Delta Green Gencon Panel: Listen to the informative Delta Green/Unspeakable Oath panel recorded at this Gencon.
Cthulhu Invictus: Cthulhu in ancient Rome. A winning combination!

Song: Zombie by Anssi 8000 and Maria Stereo

Liked it? Take a second to support RPPR on Patreon!

13 comments for “RPPR Episode 61: Post Gencon 2011 wrapup part 1

1. Tom
    August 14, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Any chance I could get a link to the soong at the start of the episode? I tried looking, but failed misserably. My google-fu wasn’t strong enough, I guess. :-/

2. Tom
    August 14, 2011 at 10:59 pm

nvm, I just gotta learn to read. ­čśÇ

3. Colin
    August 15, 2011 at 10:24 am

It sounded like you really wanted to leave half way though that interview. =\

4. August 15, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Nah – it was just that the interview took place right before hotel checkout on Sunday morning so everything was rushed. I’ll do a proper interview with him over Skype sometime in the future.

5. August 16, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Shallazar here, couldn’t have been happier.
    Caleb’s game, Ross’ game and Tom’s game were all glorious.
    Devin will be happy to hear that you spoke well of his angry russian.
    And there is a swelling in my loins, my tumors are engorged at Tom’s recounting of my character’s misadventures.
    Catch you next year for sure!

6. August 17, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Wrathful soviet commissar/geriatric Virginia Slim chain-smoking pyromancer here.
    I had a fucking blast guys! It definitely warms the cockles to hear you enjoyed my plays. Thanks for making gencon 2011 great, and I hope we can share in the strange smells and pieces of Indianapolis blowing in our eyes once again.

ehcks-oh
    -Devin

7. Alexander
    August 18, 2011 at 9:38 am

Marry, Fuck, Kill – Ross, Caleb, Tom

Marry – Ross
    He’s a published author. That, and he’s great at adaption; he can fit seamlessly into Tom’s rock ’em sock ’em game or Caleb’s game of horror intrigue without missing a beat.

Fuck – Caleb
    He’s a perfect teacher, but… He’s funny, intelligent, and witty, but he’d probably be too busy thinking of the next best thing to hold a long term relationship.

Kill – Tom
    ca┬Ěthar┬Ěsis? ?[kuh-thahr-sis]
    noun, plural -ses ?[-seez]
    1. the purging of the emotions or relieving of emotional tensions, especially through certain kinds of art, as music or killing Tom.

8. Tom Church
    August 18, 2011 at 9:59 pm

I cannot be killed by mortal weapons.

9. Caleb
    August 19, 2011 at 10:02 am

Alexander — Ross also has a house and regularly bakes cookies. You made the right choice.

When our love was in its summer, we had times fit for ballads. But now winter has cooled our passions, and I must be moving on. Alas, my love, goodbye.

10. August 19, 2011 at 10:56 am

well technically I rent a duplex

11. Alexander
    August 19, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I just learned why you don’t play this game with the people on the list.

12. Caleb
    August 19, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Never be ashamed of what we had, Alex! It was good. Pure!

13. Beast
    August 21, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Thank you for outstanding Gencon coverage. Damn you are lucky having such events!