Episode 194: Game Design in Horror Movies
News: There’s a horror video marathon on the RPPR Patreon Discord on Sunday October 30, starting at 3 pm CDT! Sign up for the RPPR Newsletter and get a FREE Monster PDF!
Synopsis: After watching the first 7 Saw movies in the last week, I realized that game design comes up in a lot in horror films. I got Chris and Aaron to talk about the franchise and other horror movies that intersect with game design topics. We mention Phantasm, Cube, Circle, Tremors, and a lot of other movies. A fun discussion just in time for the spookiest month of the year!
- Saloum: An African horror thriller film currently on Shudder. Beautiful, intriguing, and unforgettable
- Scorn: A horror adventure video game with a biomechanical aesthetic.
- Three Thousand Years of Longing: A fantasy film about a writer and a genie, from director George Miller
- Forgive Me Father: A Lovecraftian FPS with an old school design. Mow down hordes of cultists with a tommy gun. What’s not to love?
- Shining the Holy Ark: A Sega Saturn RPG with some unique features.
- Happy Endings: An autobiography of Bella Green, a comedian and sex worker.
- Disney Dreamlight Valley: Animal Crossing but with Disney characters.
- Floodlight: A drum and bass album where all proceeds go to disaster relief for flooding in Pakistan.
- Quantum Leap: It’s a reboot of the 1980s show.
Music: Floodlight DnB Aid for Flooding in Pakistan
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:24:17 — 58.1MB)