RPPR Episode 125: Masks of Nyarlathotep Post Mortem

RPPR-Illustrated-Masks-Cruise-BonusMasks of Nyarlathotep is a classic (some would say quintessential) campaign for Call of Cthulhu. Given how much we play CoC, I thought it would be remiss of us not to record a run of it. It took us about a year to get through the campaign, but our dedicated group of investigators solved mysteries, fought cultists, and confronted horrible abominations from beyond time and space. I heavily changed the core campaign, using advice from Adam Scott Glancy and the invaluable book, the Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion. Find out what I changed and why and how the players thought of the game.

Get links to every AP episode of the campaign here.

Song: We’ll Meet Again by Vera Lynn

13 comments for “RPPR Episode 125: Masks of Nyarlathotep Post Mortem

1. Adam
    February 16, 2016 at 7:29 pm

I’d like to hear “team masks” play in an Eclipse Phase champaign given enough time for GM palates to be cleansed. Although team masks is entertàining in pretty much anything I imagine.

2. Adam
    February 16, 2016 at 7:41 pm

Good luck to Sean & Anne in Washington. Obligatory warning to be wary of any masked men in suits in the area.

3. Anonymous
    February 17, 2016 at 12:14 am

Dracula dossier incoming? Awesome!

4. February 17, 2016 at 5:11 am

Many moons late, butt happy trails to Sean and Anne, you two were awesome.

5. crawlkill
    February 17, 2016 at 7:15 pm

I had forgotten we’re getting Bill running Dracula Dossier! I love forgetting things like that because then I get REMINDED of them

omg this version of We’ll Meet Again changes the I/you and it fucked up my singing along you monster Ross Doctor Strangelove version is canon

I actually fully rescind my complaint earlier in the campaign that NPCs were just kind of treated as infodump machines. I don’t think I realized at that point how rare it was for more than two sessions to be in the same city. as I commented on the last episode of the campaign, I do think it’s the biggest weakness, that the constantly on the move nature of the game combined with its lethality means continuity is a little nebulous. could maybe do something about that if you were doing Delta Green: Subnet Masks of Nyarlathotep just because there could be remote coordinators who were regularly in contact, but that’s a whole other thing.

6. Martin R.
    February 17, 2016 at 11:24 pm

Hey, Ross! SMERSH wasn’t just an organization from James Bond novels – the real SMERSH functioned in World War II as a Russian counter-intelligence operation. It’s name was an acronym of the phrase “death to spies” in Russian.

7. Ordovicious
    February 18, 2016 at 12:11 am

It’s pretty ridiculous when Sean says “I didn’t have a choice” about Killjoy’s death. It was painfully obvious in that scene that he had a ton of other choices and was randomly picking a fight. Even after starting the fight, he was on a busy street in London and could have run away from the melee-only cultists, shouting for police, at any point.

8. Ethan C.
    February 22, 2016 at 11:06 am

Sad that I won’t likely ever get to run one of my historical Cthulhu scenarios for Sean and Ann, I’m sure he could give great feedback. I enjoyed listening to this campaign, even though I generally think that it’s impossible to sustain a “horror” game over a long-form campaign. When you accept that it’s going to be a pulp adventure experience instead of a moody horror thing, it’s plenty of fun.

9. Kiljoy
    March 7, 2016 at 1:22 pm

@ Ethan C: I’m sad about that too. I wish we were still in the area. Maybe, someday, the stars will align and we’ll be in town at the same time as you or at Gen-Con at the same time as you.

10. March 7, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Eh, just transfer to the University of Missouri, and that’ll solve everything.

I’m planning on running a couple of them on Google Hangouts sometime, too. I’ll try to let you know when I do.

11. Kiljoy
    March 9, 2016 at 8:27 pm

If certain faculty there would retire, that might be a possibility ;). Please do let me know about the Hangouts. The time difference is a bit of a bear, but it might work.

12. Ethan C.
    March 9, 2016 at 9:12 pm

Cool! PM me in the forums with your contact info.